1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Buy Renews My Reward Zone Membership for Free!

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Will_C, May 7, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

A few weeks ago, I tried to use my RZ card to pick up some points, but the clerk said the card had expired. Then I bought some stuff last week, and just for laughs, I gave the clerk the RZ card again, and it took it and applied the points to the account. I guess the free-ness (and higher points total needed for the rewards) has re-enabled all the RZ cards, regardless of expiration?

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

See, the RZ card used to be a reason for me to go to BB. Not anymore. I will avoid the store unless they have the best price.

I could swllow the change when they went from $125 to $150, but $250 is absolutely ridiculous. It's a 2% discount now essentially, and that's IF you spend $250. Give me a break.

3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I agree, 2% is a pretty small amount, especially when accumulated at only one store and only once you've spent $250.

I really only had occasion to go to BB to price match a Fry's or Circuit City ad with the rewardzone card, but now with such a small reward, it's better to go to CC to price match Fry's (who now proactively beats the price by 10%, which virtually always ends up being more of a discount than the 2% BB reward, plus it's an immediate discount).

Ah, well. I won't complain since I never paid for it and did receive some benefit while I used it. But if the point was to get people to be "loyal" to BB, then this change isn't going to work for people like me. I guess I'm the worst kind of customer.

4. MarkDude

MarkDude Stunt Coordinator

When they introduced the free 2% back version of the program here a year ago, I was also really upset (especially considering I had just renewed for $10!!) and thought they should have at least offered a two-tiered system. So if you want to pay $10, you get the $150 level, and if you just want it for free, the $250 level. At least here, there's a "Premier" level you get if you spend $2,000, which doubles all your points, effectively bringing it back down to the old $125-per-certificate program. Doesn't look like that will be rolled out nationwide, though. Oh well. I'm just happy that Ohio's not the only one getting screwed with the Reward Zone program anymore; it's the entire country now.

5. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I'm so pissed at Best Buy. This program is now a piece of shit and Best Buy has found a new way to screw its loyal customers. I've been a member of this program ever since they first rolled it out and the $10 fee was great because of the amount of money I spent at Best Buy.

I knew about the new rollout but it wasn't supposed to be effective untilt he 18th. Now, Best Buy has screwed up my account so the points I had accumulated to grab an extra $5 in certificates before the new program rolled out has royally screwed up my account.

This is the biggest reason why I've been starting to order my DVD's from Circuit City, Borders and online sites as Overstock and Amazon.com. Best Buy has just lost one of their customers due to their own stupidity. They just don't want to pay out all that money in GC that they were dishing out before.

With the new program, the eliminate 30-40% in potentitial Gift Certificates that they were paying out before.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Points Summary

Points Summary: 7,610
    Posted Points: 72
    Pending Points: 0
    Rewards Earned to Date:
    (May include certificates that have not yet been mailed) $ 290

Pending points have been awarded for recent eligible purchases but will not be accrued until posted – about 30 days after your purchase or date of shipment. Posted points are those that have been accrued to your account.

Pending ...Transaction Activity
    Date....location......Description....Points

Posted Transaction Activity (previous 90-Days History)
    Date Location Description Points
    07/20/2006 $20 Reward Cert (50467757) -600.00
    06/20/2006 CONCORD PIKE DE Reward Zone Points 19.99

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    as you can see from that i havent been buying from bb much and when i do
    i dont use the rz card

8. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    When I started this thread over a year ago, I had been a RZ member for a couple of years and had really been pleased with BB and the way they appreciated my business. As an avid dvd collector, I was coming in nearly every week (on dvduesday of course) and buying several movies and/or tv sets. I was really racking up points and had the reward certificates coming in fairly frequently. Now with BBs higher limit of $250, I'm feeling as disenfranchised as a loyal customer as the rest of you are. I may still go to BB when they have the absolute best price by several dollars on what I want, but I'm looking more at Circuit City, Target and online stores now. Best Buy changes their RZ guidelines every year, maybe they'll go back to a lower dollar threshold next year. I won't hold my breath, though.

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I had enough points for a $5 certificate under the old system ($150) at the time they switched over. Looks like I got screwed too.

10. MarkDude

MarkDude Stunt Coordinator

By looking in today's ad, it appears that the main motive behind the new pathetic-but-free Reward Zone is so they can entice people with the new Reward Zone MasterCard, which is a new Best Buy credit card that allows you to receive more points than normal cardholders. Reminds me of the Replay Mastercard that Musicland rolled out about a year before they got rid of the program altogether.

11. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

at our meeting at the store this morning we were told about the change, I guess its come to our store officially starting today.

Any customer who paid $10 for one within the past (I think it was 30 days, but I'm not 100% on this...) will be getting $10 in RZ certificates as a make-good, plus any points they earned at the old level will stay.

The RewardZone Mastercard basically lets you earn your 2% RewardZone points anywhere you shop, and if you use it in the store you earn 2% for using the MC + 2% for regular RZ, meaning you are back at the 4% level. The thing that is NOT cool about it is that if you ever want to take advantage of the BestBuy Interest Free financing deals (like last week when it was 36 monts no interest when you spent $999 or more on a TV) you have to use the regular BBY Card - the Mastercard doesn't do it for you.

12. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

I got rolled over by Best Buy as well. I had about 30,000 points from transactions in late July/August and they ALL got changed over to the new point system.

Ugh.

13. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

Wow - I never thought I would be saying this, but...

Big thumbs up for Best Buy!

I had enough points in my account for a reward cert before the changeover but I had accumulated the last of them before they had time (30 days plus) to post. They eventually posted after the changeover and I just received my reward cert today - with only 150 points deducted from my account. I thought I was going to be screwed with the changeover and they surprised me. Of course, the program still sucks and leaves me with no reason to go out of my way to buy from them anymore, but it was a nice surprise.

Best Buy, it was nice knowin' ya.

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I got a 150 pt $5 certificate today as well, which I wasn't expecting.

15. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

Joe - I've been meaning to tell you - Noles do indeed rule.

FSU '92

16. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    You're damn right they do.

FSU '98...

and still a season ticket holder through good and bad. 2nd generation Nole, and my mom has already bought the cheerleader outfit for her granddaughter due in January. :)

17. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I just got a 2nd $5 certificate today for only 150 points, so I guess they really are being attentive to the dates of purchases during the conversion. I give them kudos for not screwing us all over on the transition.

18. BrettB

BrettB Producer

I just bought a tv at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago and got their Chase credit card to do the no interest thing. Anyway it looks like it's a 5% deal. May be buying more stuff at CC if true.

19. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

BB sent me a $10 certificate to redeem the $10 I paid to joing the Reward Zone in September, right before they decided to make it free. That was very nice of them. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me use it on a dvd that was already on sale lol.

20. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Was the DVD less than $10?