Best Buy Really Going Downhill

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Qui-Gon John, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

[​IMG]
    It's a shame to see what has always been a good source of electronic equipment start to really deteriorate. Just yesterday I had numerous incidences in just a couple of hours.
    1. I saw a phone last weekend I wanted to purchase, but they didn't have any. I was told then they'd be in Wednesday. I went back yesterday and they still didn't have any, none ever came in.
    2. Then we went to look at laptops, my wife wants to get one. We finally saw one with the features we wanted, plus, at a price we were willing to pay, also available with 18 month interest-free financing. We went to the counter to get help in getting one. While waiting we saw one of their "help" arguing with a customer who also had been waiting to get service. When another one of the "help" came over, this first guy walked off and made a snide comment about the customer. Then when the 2nd guy helped us, they did not have any of that laptop. They only had gotten "2" in and sold those. He did give us a rain check, so we could lock-in the price, in case they changed. He also suggested we go fill out the credit app now, then come in Wednesday, when they expected more laptops in.
    3. At the finance counter, the guy working there was obviously supposed to go to lunch. He kept mumbling about someone else handling the customers and fully displayed his "attitude" in helping each of the customers in line. When we got up there and said we wanted to fill out the credit app, he snapped one from behind the counter and said, "Fill this out and wait in that line over there to turn it in".
    4. Then when we got home we decided to call another nearby Best Buy and see if they had the laptop. I got on the phone at 5:38, 22 mintues before closing. I selected the computer department and waited. Meanwhile, just a little later, my wife called on her cell phone and selected Customer Service. 9 minutes after my wife got on, someone answered the line and immediately hung up. Then at 6pm, closing, someone answered the line for me and also immediately hung up. Upon trying to call back we just got a message, "We're currently closed, please call back".
    These are all examples of piss-poor customer service.
    ------------------
    Qui-Gon John

2. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
  3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Does anyone know of a source that will provide good Extended Warranties on computers even if they are not bought there. For Example, I was able to buy a warranty on my last vehicle, after the fact, from Allstate Parts & Labor Plus.
    ------------------
    Qui-Gon John

4. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Regardless of where you are in the world, you simply cannot walk into a Best Buy and expect to get knowledgeable, friendly help. It can't happen. Too many teeny-boppers work there. Too many people work there just for the discount. I don't believe for a second either that anyone wearing that lousy blue polo shirt is genuinely interested in helping anyone. When I do go to Best Buy, I know what I want. It's usually for something simple such as a DVD, CD, or software. I get in, get what I want, and get out... this is my advice to you.
    Bummers about the poor service. I wouldn't even deal with that rain check and find a business that is interested in obtaining yours...
    Scott.
    ------------------
    Scott's DVD List

5. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Best Buy survives because they have so little competition in many places. Here in the Mid-West they sort of have it to themselves. We have an occassional Circuit City, but that's about all.
    At our local Best Buys, I mostly see the blue shirts standing around talking to each other.
    Best Buy needs a nose-to-nose competitor to see the light to shape up. I would assume their local store managers are mostly worthless or all of this wouldn't be going on.
    Deane

6. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

While I agree that most employees at best buy are rude and don't know crap, there is an occasional HT buff that must think he has the coolest job in the world. I walked in and was just checking out HDTV's and this kid(must've been about 17) talked my ear off for about half an hour. He definitely knew his stuff and seemed to like what he was doing.
    But I agree that most employees don't give a damn. It was just refreshing to see someone who actually cared about what they were doing.
    dan

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I don't rely on the best buy employees for anything, so their lack of knowledge doesn't bother me. But their constant pushing of extended warranties does. We bought a cheap bottom of the line computer there last week for my wife and had to get the salesguy to get it down from the shelf and get the associated monitor from the back room. Geez, it took this guy 1/2 hour to do so, and every minute during that time that he was in our presence was spent telling us how great the extended warranty would be. You'd think after my third, "NO, absolutely not" (about 3 minutes into the 1/2 hour, that he'd stop, but no. I was very close to walking out, but it was a good deal, and my wife's old computer was dead, and she desperately needed a new one right then.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have been subjected to the extended warranty sales pitch at Best Buy on items as ridiculous as a $20 desk phone and $30 computer mouse! They do have good prices on items that I choose not to purchase online, but I never go in there expecting good service or knowledgable sales people. That way, I'm never disappointed.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 8

9. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

10. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

The only reason I ever walk into this store is to see if they actually have something. If they do, I shop the price elsewhere and online. Selling things for list price is not a "best buy" in my book.
    The stores near me are almost always empty of merchandise. the supposed "help" must be real disappointment to public schools everywhere.
    And if one of their employees tells me again that they are "non-commission" I am going to scream. All this tells me is that you could care less whether I buy anything or not!

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Brian, I agree about the "non-commission" thing. Every time I go there someone comes up to me and asks me if I need help. When I say I don't, they light up and say "We're not on commission so if you need help just ask anyone of us". They're obviously very happy that they don't need to provide any good and accurate service. [​IMG]
    But I love browsing their stuff, they don't complain if you change settings on the TV's, pull out the receivers to check the back, or anything else. TO be honest, I don't even understand why they have salespeople, they should just leave everyone alone, put out a few computers around the store with their website on it for product descriptions, lower prices (since they save on employee salaries) and hire better servicepeople.
    /Mike

12. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Best buy is finally feeling the heat in Palm Beach since Brandmart open a new supersized store right next to them lastweek.
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater