Best Buy Promoting Super Audio Again!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    It looks like Best Buy is starting to heavily promote SACD again. In this weekend's Sunday Atlanta Journal-Constitution the Best Buy flyer prominently displayed (page 13) Super Audio as "A new technology that offers true six channel sound for a richer 360 degree audio experience. It had album covers for Musiq Soulstar, Michael McDonald Motown, Sting Sacred Love all at $11.99! [​IMG] and it showed GBYR from Elton John for $24.99.

It also nicley mentioned that to see SACD compatible hardware go to page 21.

This is encouraging news to have a major retailer given prominent coverage to the format. I have also noticed a much improved title inventory in my local Alpharetta store.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    We got the same circular in the news-less paper here too. I wouldn't call it heavy promotion. Page 21 features a solitary HT in a box that is SACD capable. That's not too inspiring. However, any adverts are a revelation on a certain level...

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I would agree and seeing any mentions of any hirez format so prominently displayed with other mainstream CDs is a big step forward.

4. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

My local Best Buy does a pretty good job of keeping both the DVD Audio and SACD stocked. They are right up towards the front of the store, and every time I have looked for a new release that I want it's there.

However, I am always the only one looking at them except for the occasional confused looking customer just passing through.

This really surprises me. Even if you throw out the high rez, I can't believe more people aren't interested in 5.1 sound for music.

It seems the mass public is very slow to adapt to new technology. Just last night I was in an Ultimate Electronics looking for a camcorder that records directly to a dvd instead of vhs. They only had one model (a panasonic) and that one had been discontinued. WTF?[​IMG]

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Off topic, but I would go for a miniDV camcorder before getting one that records to DVD. Even more so if you plan to do any editing.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I agree too, that any promotion is better than no promotion.

I've stopped looking for SACDs at BB. The SACDs I'm interested in now (imports like Bjork or classical releases) are not being stocked by BB.

Doug

7. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Cameron,

yeah, miniDV is what I meant (sorry for the off topic).[​IMG]

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Best Buy has done similar ads over the past year for both SACD and DVD-A, as well as placing banners in the music section pointing people towards the Hi-res section to no avail. This is nothing new.

However, I would take the following spin. Looking at the stale-res section in my local stores, it appears this may be more of a last ditch effort to drum up some sales before Best Buy does away with Hi-res completely.

J