Best Buy problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryH, Oct 26, 2002.

1. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Sep 5, 2000
    This week Best Buy had an insert in our local newspaper (and I assume everywhere else they sell) stating that all SciFi and Horror DVD's will be "on sale" Thursday through Saturday (maybe Sunday). Anyhow, the ad gave no further details. The handwritten signs in the store also just said they were "on sale."

Naturally, I had no intention of buying anything without knowing the cost, so I asked one of the blue-shirts and he stated that they were 10% off. So I picked up a couple and took them to the checkout, where they were automatically rung up with only a 5% discount.

After talking to the guy at the DVD's, they went through an elaborate and time-consuming process to give the 10% discount.

That was Thursday. I went back today (Saturday) to get a couple more, and lo and behold, the exact same scenario!

I just have two comments: (1) How absurd it is to have a sale without specifying anywhere in writing the extent of the sale, and (2) I wonder how many people just got a 5% discount.

Since Best Buy has taken to surreptitiously raising the price on many DVD's, and even charging more than list price on at least one I observed, I have become very wary of buying from them.
  2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Feb 8, 2002
    This happened to me as well. I was expecing a 10% discount, as is usual with this type of sale at BB, but only got 5%. Won't be sucked into those sales again unless there's a clear indication of what the sale is.