Best Buy now selling: Wharfedale Diamond 8 Series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_frontier, Feb 21, 2003.

1. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

After the crappy ZALDEK series speakers... I notice they are now getting in the Wharfedale Diamond 8 Series speakers.
    Now we talking quality!
    About damn time for these babies to sell retail @ Best Buy... now BestBuy needs to get rid of the crappy Zaldeks... oh I did notice they do not sell the center Zaldek in there sight!! See I knew my review came in handy on those crappy speakers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=16

2. Keith Shaw

Keith Shaw Agent

A co-worker just bought a pair of the Zaldek bookshelves. I think they're gonna be great... as garage speakers [​IMG]

Best Buy is certainly going in an interesting direction carrying Wharfedale and soon Klipsch. Maybe it will get some quality speakers into a few more homes instead of the usual KLH/Bose/Yamaha junk.

3. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Keith,

Hey man,, easy on the YAMAHAs I own a pair of the towers and love'em. They are the towers and not the bookshelfs one. I like the yamaha speakers. I compared them to the JBL northridge and it was a toss up. IMHO the YAMIS are really bright and detail in sound. Bass is really clean for single 6.5" woofer 3-ways.

4. sheldon M.

sheldon M. Stunt Coordinator

The Diamond 8's are imho the best budget speakers out there. Totally non fatigueing, clear smooooth highs and nice tight bass. Wharfedale deserves kudos for making these great speakers so affordable. When I first heard the 8.1's I was amazed at the depth of the soundstage. I happened to get a great deal on them ($130 a pair) and honestly think they sound like they cost much more. They blow away Paradigm Atoms -I have a pair of Atoms sitting in a box doing diddly cause the Diamonds replaced them. Then I decided to go home theatre in my bedroom and bought the Diamond Center and another pair of 8.1's. That center channel is again just awesome for the price. Solid as a rock and clear as a bell. Then I saw a pair of 8.3's for sale used for $150 so I snatched those up. Great bass and the same clear smooth highs and mid. I have previously owned Paradigm 5semk3's and Studio 80's. My main system is JMlab Daline 6.1's,cc20,sr20 and Tantal 507's-about $4000 worth of speakers so I have listened to some great stuff to measure the Diamonds against. Best Buy is definately going in the right direction-a big qualitative leap forward with great pricing to boot. Great listening to all who buy them.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

How would you say the Diamonds compare to the 5SE MK3s you had? I was considering the Diamond 8.1s and Diamond Center all around in a 7.1 system but went with 3 matched 3SE MK3s up front, Titans on the sides, and Atoms in the back.

Any comments? Thanks

6. Shane_Lentini

Jack,

When I decided it was time for new speakers, I looked around for like a month. I didn't want to spend more than 2k for new ones and suprisingly enough, I kept going back to the Diamond8 series. For half of what I limited myself to spend, I ended up with Diamond 8.4's up front, Diamond 8 center and 8.1's for rears.

Remember that it's all personal preference and what sounds good to you though. I thought the Diamonds sounded better than a lot of speakers that were 2x as much. I'm about 60% HT/40% Music. I found the Diamonds to be very clear and accurate. For HT, this setup doesn't miss a beat and for music I was even more surprised on how natural they sounded. Wharf was right on point as well saying that these speakers shine even more after about 50-70 hours of break in. I noticed more depth/full sound after breaking them in.

If you don't want to break the bank, give them a listen when they get to Best Buy.

7. sheldon M.

Stephen,

The 8.3's compare very favorably to the 5semk3's. They really remind me of the sound of those-so much so that I went back into Paradigms archives to look up what kind of tweeter they had(cause I forgot-its been a while since I had them) and its a fabric dome like the Diamonds. I'd say sell the Titan's and the Atom's and get 2 pairs of 8.1's-I think they have a much tighter/cleaner sound then those particular models.

8. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

How do you think these 8.1 compare to the Paradigm mini's and studio 20's?

9. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

I looked around Best Buy's site and it seems that the Zaldeks are very similarly priced to the Diamonds. In some cases, the Zaldeks even seemed more expensive! Why are they so close in price if the Diamonds are so much better?

Scott

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm pretty happy with my titans and atoms as surrounds and i'd like to stay away from mixing brands, but the idea is promising. I could definatly get enough out of my atoms and titans to pick up some Diamond Aniversary's from Amazon. How about a pair of the Diamond Aniversary's and a Pair of the Diamond Bipoles?

11. sheldon M.

The Diamond Anniversary's are not the same as the Diamond 8's. The Diamond 8's are in a different class. I haven't yet heard the Diamond dipoles.

12. sheldon M.

Donj I haven't heard the Studio 20's or Minis but one thing I do know is the 8.1's cost a heck of a lot less. However I don't think I'm sticking my neck out too far to assume that the Studio 20 is a superior speaker to the 8.1. The thing that makes the 8.1 so special is its value to cost ratio.

13. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know why the Zaldeks are so close in price to the Diamonds (according to the Best Buy web site) if the Diamonds are better???

--Scott

14. sheldon M.

Scott I'm not really too familiar with the Zaldeks-all I've listened to is the Diamonds. The large Zaldeks(3way)are apparently 299/pair minus a fifty dollar rebate. The comparable Diamonds-the 8.4's-are about $550 a pair. That's a considerable difference.

15. sheldon M.

WAIT! I stand corrected-I just checked out the Best Buy site and that price was for EACH speaker I think cause the 8.4's are only $274ea.The Zaldeks were $299ea. The great thing about the Diamonds is that they sound sound so great at their price point. I don't know how the Zaldeks sound but personally I would take a silk dome tweeter over horns and Kevlar drivers over polypropylene any day. I look at Best Buy's offerings-Bose, JBL Northridge,KLH,Sony and Yamaha-and I just want to scream at people who might consider these NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!BUY THE WHARFEDALE DIAMONDS!!!!! Why are the Diamonds less than the Zaldeks(weren't they those things chasing around Dr. Who?)? It could be because the Diamonds have been out a while and BB can't mess with their MSRP. But maybe they can milk the public a little on the little known Zaldeks. All the more reason to buy the Diamonds. I'm a little disappointed that BB doesn't carry the 8.3's-which are only $349 for the pair. Mine kick butt.

16. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Anyone know if Best Buy will be carrying the Wharfedale Pacific Evolution line of speakers?? There's a Best Buy currently being built here in Edmonton, and I've been curious about those speakers since the first ad that I saw in S&V mag. They look like they have an outstanding finish.

Nick

17. sheldon M.

i'd love to see those Pacific Evo's also. I haven't seen anyone who carries them however. I'd like to know the prices on them. I'll bet they are great bang for the buck speakers.

18. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I'd love to hear more about these speakers. Can anyone direct me to any online reviews of the diamond series? How do you think these speakers will hold up to the Paradigm Monitor series?