What's new

Best Buy Not Going to Carry 56"-65" Toshioba's Anymore (1 Viewer)

WaltL

Grip
Just talked to 2 different guys at 2 different Best Buy's in the Cincinnati area. I was interested in purchasing the Toshiba 65H80 widescreen RPTV. Much to my dismay, they said they didn't have any in stock and weren't even going to carry the 56"-65" models anymore! I confirmed this at another Best Buy. Aghhhhhh!
Has anyone else heard about this or know why? I was really looking forward to this model or its sister models the 65H81.
Thanks!

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, tis true.
They are going to carry the 42H81, 50H81, and the 57H81.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

CameronS

Supporting Actor
No 65H81.
My guess is that they never really sold very many 65H80s when compared to the 40 and 56.
Now that the 50H80 is out, they can drop the 65 and still carry 3 different Toshiba HDTVs.
JMOICBW
Just my opinion I could be Wrong.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Their friggin over-priced anyway at Best Buy so don't sweat it! Unless of course you work there and was anticipating the nice discount :)
Pete

WaltL

Grip
All right fellas. Here we go. Since Best Buy isn't going to carry the Toshiba 65H81, is there any other "local" electronics store or department store that will carry them?
I really like the model but would like to stay away from the "internet stores" for no other reason then the possibilty of having problems with the set! I would rather buy local because if there is a problem, it's a lot easier to deal with.
Thanks!

W

Will

Around here, Good Guys carries the 65H80. I don't
know if they'll carry the 65H81.
On a related note, anyone know if the 65H81's are out?
I know some places online are selling them but
don't know if they really have 'em to sell, just yet.
The 57H81's are out now -- people have bought them -- but
are the 65H81's?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm not sure if they are in the Cincinnati area, Walt, but I purchased my 56H80 from Walter's Home Appliance last December for substantially less than Best Buy -- about $800 less.
Walter's has several stores in the Detroit area, but I do not know if they branched out to other areas in the Midwest.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on August 17, 2001 at 07:52 AM]

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I work at a Best Buy in the Columbus area and I would suspect that the reason we are not carrying the 65" Toshiba this year is because we are carrying the 64" Pioneer. While my location sold quite a few of the 65" Toshibas last I believe that most people would buy the Pioneer over the Toshiba. I am basing this observation on the number of 53" Pioneers vs. 56" Toshiba we sold. While it would be nice to carry both the company has to make business decisions and unfortunately Toshiba was a casualty this time.
While I know, and most of you know, that a Toshiba ISF calibrated looks mighty fine, the Pioneer IMO looks better out of the box. That is what most of my customers care about. I did a test where I told every one of my HD customers about ISF calibration and referred them to a local shop to have it set up. In about a two month period I believe that only one person even contacted the shop. So this may be the reason we have dropped the 65" Toshiba.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Update: I checked today and it looks like Best Buy is going to carry the 65" Toshiba. It was in our system today and has an approximate arrival date of mid September.

WaltL

Grip
Jason:
I checked the Best Buy web site and there was no Pioneer 64" listed, only a 58". How much are they and do they actually have them on display in the store?
Also, you said that the Toshiba 65H81 was now listed and due to arrive in mid-September. Does this mean that Best Buy will definitely being carrying that model (in the store) or might it be available for purchase online only?
Thanks fellow Buckeye!

DanSt

Stunt Coordinator
I was also told at my Best Buy that the new 65" was going to be in a few weeks from now. Can't wait to see it :)
------------------
...transmission terminated...
Anubis
[email protected]

W

Will

I'm very excited to be able to compare the new 64" Pioneer
to the new 65" Toshiba, side by side. I read somewhere the
line doubler on new 64" Pioneer non-Elites will be as good
as the line doubler on current (not the new 2002 model)
Pioneer Elites, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
I want an RPTV that makes non hi-def TV look good, with a
minimum of blocky artifacts, which is where current (not
the new 2002 model) Pioneer Elites really shine, imho.
BTW, the 2002 Pioneer Elites, when they come out, should
be even better but they cost MUCH more than Pioneer
non-Elites and Toshiba nnH81's -- as opposed to the (also)
expensive Toshiba nnHX81's.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that Best Buy has the release date on the Pioneer 53" and 64" as September 1st, but of course that is up to the manufacture to get it to our warehouses. I have also heard many grumbling from local shops that they are not selling as many Elites as in the past because the lower series, Reference Series, is selling so well and many customers dont want to spend the extra money for an Elite. The Elite is an incredible set but I bet most people could not tell a significant difference (from proper viewing distnace) if they dont see them side by side.
It is possible that Best Buy could only carry the Toshiba, or any other set in the computer online only but generally that is on a region by region basis. Happy hunting!

WaltL

Grip
Jason:
Do you have an approximate price on the Pioneer 64" and the model number?
Thanks for your help!

J

John Morris

as opposed to the (also)expensive Toshiba nnHX81's
The 57HX81 is only $350 more than the 57H81. I've already gotten a pre-release price of only $2800 on one of these from a local B&M. The Elite, or even a new Mitsu 55908 would cost me closer to, or more than $4000.
IMO, if they pan out the way I think they may... the new Toshiba HX series may be to RPTVs what the Panasonic RP91 is to DVD players.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Walt:
This is strictly off the top of my head but I think the model number for the 64" is SD-643HD5 and the list price is $4800. These will defintely be going on sale fairly soon after they come in. That is considerable less than the $5500 the listed last year for the 58". I would bet that this pared with the Toshiba Sd-4700 (my next purchase) would be a sweet deal. Always glad to help.

WaltL

Grip
Jason:
One last question (for now): You mentioned on an earlier post that Best Buy stocks different models according to region. With you being in Westerville, Ohio and myself in Cincinnati, Ohio and only a few hours between us, does that mean that we are in the same region? And therefore if we are in the same region, should I expect my local Best Buy stores to carry the same brands and models?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks