Best Buy + Netflix = Goodbye Blockbuster!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Coleman, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I think you're reading too much into this. Read the story again carefully.
    If I read it correctly, you can't physically obtain the rental DVDs at BestBuy. They are just joining up with Netflix to co-market the online service. It's still the same rental service via the mail.
    This may greatly increase the visibility of Netflix, which may only serve to further degrade the level of their service with even less title availability, longer waits, etc. One would hope that they would expand to meet extra demand, but don't count on it.
    Bottom line: this could make an already poor service (from many accounts) even worse.

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I read it the same way as Glenn did - as a co-branding service only. Offering a rental service at the Best Buy stores onsite would require a lot of resources on their part.
    quote: Bottom line: this could make an already poor service (from many accounts) even worse.[/quote]
    Such may be the case. [​IMG]
    ~Edwin
    [Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on October 16, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

4. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I re-read it again and I think you guys are right. My fault.
    I still think it would be a good idea to be able to rent at Best Buy.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I hate it every time I see an advertisement for Netflix. It makes me think "great, more people will join, more titles will be out of stock, and there will be longer turn around times"!
    And to think I use to recommend Netflix to friends. I have come so close to cancelling my subcription so many times its ridiculous. I stay only because I can't stand the thought of going to Blockbuster!

6. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

For me:
    OAR + Digital Sound +

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I can tell you that I haven't rented a disc in any way shape or form in the last year... so I am doing my part [​IMG] ...VIVA LA RESISTANCE!
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RENTING! The worst thing you can do is kill off video rental. So many people, myself included, can't afford to go buy every disc that they want to see. Renting is a great way to see the film without having to purchase it. That being said, I firmly believe in supporting Mom and Pop stores over the corporate ones. Trust me, if there was a decent Mom and Pop store around me, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I feel like I lose a bit of my soul every time I rent from BB.
    [Edited last by Brian Kidd on October 17, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

9. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

No renting is not bad, but make sure you rent from a mom and pop if you can find one!! I went to my local m&p and rented 2 VHSs for the kids. One was a 3 day rental the other was a 5 day rental. Pop went ahead and made them both 5 day rentals so I could bring em back at the same time. Get BB to do that!! [​IMG]. Cheers.
    ------------------
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner