Best Buy in my town and SACD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Nov 14, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The BEST BUY in Manalapan New Jersey hasn't had any new SACD'S in about 6 months !!!...They don't get any of the new releases !!...is this the case with all the BEST BUY'S ?

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Looks that way too at the Dublin Best Buy out here on the Left Coast.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Anthony,

I have noticed on occasion my Best Buy gets one or two copies of new SACD releases but that is it. Once older titles are sold, they are never restocked. This is actually better then my local Circuit City stores which get zero new SACD titles, and have the very limited selection the Sony kiosk is able to hold. People claim SACD is gaining momentum, but in the mass retailers where the vast majority of sales are being made, SACD is actually losing ground with a lack of titles and players.

J

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin,
    Sounds like we are shopping at the same Best Buy stores! [​IMG]
    Anthony,
    Justin and I shop at the same Best Buy stores in Delaware, and I have noticed exactly what he described. Sony has not released anything on SACD (at least nothing major) over the past six weeks, and the Best Buy stores in Delaware have received no new stock over that period. As Justin said, Circuit City is a waste of time.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Nothing new in my Best Buy, either.
    P.S. I have family friends in Manalapan. [​IMG]

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

It took me a long time to find the SACDs @ Best Buy. They were on a small display rack near the hardware. Looked kinda lonely.
    P.S. I grew up in Englishtown / Monroe Twsp. [​IMG]

7. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Hello all fellow New Jerseyians',[​IMG] ...One thing that best buy is good on is getting new DVD-A releases, but there a little bit pricey.

8. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

The Best Buy here in Reno has been much better in the past couple of months for getting new SACD's. Still located in the very back corner of the store, but at least they are getting new titles. The only problem is that the new titles usually don't show up till after they've been out for a month or so. Still, I've picked up a couple because I wasn't in a rush to get them when they first released.

As for DVD-A, they continue to get new titles as they are released and they're finally showing the price reductions on new incoming stock. The few titles that have been there a while are still labeled with the older higer prices.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Our local Best Buy has a few new Telarc releases but not many new Sony/Columbia. They have nothing from Diana Krall. The local BB is not even selling the new Sony 755 DVD/SACD player. They are still selling their remaining stock of 775s.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Well, at least Best Buy has dropped the ball with SACD on a national level. However, they still have a bit of work to do to fall back to Circuit City's level of patheticity (yes, I made up that word). [​IMG]
    Anthony,
    For the record, I was born in Morristown, but moved from there when I was 1 year old. When I was 15, my family moved to Wayne, and I did my last three years of high school there. More recently, I lived in Hillsborough before moving to Delaware.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

12. DennisK

DennisK Agent

I've been to three Best Buys here in the Phoenix area and they all keep they're SACDs next to the hardware in the back. The worst is the Ahwatukee store. They use the area in front of the display as a staging area. I usually have to crawl over boxes or carts full of merchandising paraphernalia just to find out that they still haven't stocked anything new. [​IMG]