Best Buy handling Police remastered CDs and SACDs properly. Go figure!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Mar 16, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As you probably have all noticed, there has been a lot of confusion concerning Universal's recent release of Police SACDs and remastered CDs. We have remastered CDs in digipaks, single-layer SACDs in Super Jewel Boxes, and a hybrid disc in a digipak. [​IMG] Well, I am very happy to say that my local Best Buy stores are handling all these discs properly. Both stores in my area have the remastered CDs and the Every Breath You Take: The Classics hybrid disc in the CD department. They also have the single-layer SACDs and copies of The Classics hybrid disc in the SACD department. I am quite surprised that they got it all right. There is hope. [​IMG]

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Well, the Best Buy by me had ALL the Police discs, regardless of whether they were SACD or redbook only, in the SACD department.

A check of the Police section in the regular CD area proved to be empty.

I guess Best Buy works on a store by store basis to make sure things are correct.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I knew full well someone would chime in with contradictory findings at another Best Buy store. I was just hoping it wouldn't come in the first reply here. [​IMG] Well, that is to be expected, I guess.

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Maybe to make everyone happy they should order plenty of extra stock and display them in both area's :b
    But then I'm sure someone would find something else to complain about [​IMG]

5. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

The two stores closest to me have all the Police discs stocked in the right places. One store still has the problem of some other artist releases being in the wrong places. For example, John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" is in the DVD-A section and the regular CD rack, but not back in the SACD section. That store doesn't seem to be as well managed overall as the other one though.

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

My BestBuy only had the "Classics" SACD on the racks. No other SACD's from the Police last week.

Maybe this week they'll have them all in.

I went to a Tower Records in Carle Place LI and they had no Police cds or SACD's anyhwere except the "Classics" collection. Weird.[​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John,

That is surprising with Tower. Did they have a run on Police discs? [​IMG]

Jerry said:

8. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

The local BB not only had all the Police SACDs, but they had them relocated up near the front, as per the new policy, alongside DVD-As.

The downside: Some idiot (or is that redundant) had placed the Best Buy stickers OVER the single-layer stickers that said "will play only on SACD players." I went through the entire stock they had of the single-layer Police discs and every one had the sticker covered up by the Best Buy tag. Doesn't sound like an accident to me.

The price was $15.99 for the m/c disc, $14.99 for all the other Police discs.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've heard of some Best Buy stores moving the SACDs and DVD-Audio discs to the front near the CDs. That sounds great, but it hasn't happened in my area. Anyway, I'm glad to see that some other Best Buy stores are handling the Police discs properly.

10. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I was in BB last Friday to pick up some DVD-A discs to play on my new Panny CP-72 that just arrived. I searched DVD concerts, no dice. I went to the CD area, nothing. I finally asked someone who said "The only ones we have left will be here." There were about 25 SACDs and DVD-As mixed in together in the Anime section.

I paid 17.99 for The Doors "LA Woman" and 19.99 for Queen "A Night at the Opera". The prices weren't bad and this was a spur of the moment purchase, but with that selection and marketing strategy, I'll be shopping on-line from now on.

Ralph