What's new

Best Buy exclusives on Warner classic horror coming Oct. 7, 2008 (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I guess the late July exclusive was a success. I know that Best Buy had plenty of those discs on hand and actually had them in the new releases section. I guess classic horror will sell if promoted half way right.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
On the plus side, that page reports that those sci-fi titles released earlier in the year as BB exclusives will get general release on the same date.

Brides of Fu Manchu is a solid film, but its release is rather random, the second of a five part series. Part three is probably the best of the bunch. There is a wonderful German boxset already available - my review of the films and discs in the Fu Manchu collection.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I just caught Chamber of Horrors a week ago. Wasn't terribly impressed.

I'm scratching my head as to why they're releasing Brides of Fu Manchu the 2nd film in the series before the 1st film (Face of FM)?! They should be released together and have been paired together.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Glad to see another Fu Manchu on video. Already have the ones Blue Underground released.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I would appreciate once these titles are available that someone posts a link of the super secret code word for the Best Buy search engine! I seem to have the worst luck in trying to find the right words to enter in order to get to the discs. Thanks

Joe S

Second Unit
There's another release that you might not know about:
Sci-Fi 70'S #1 (Dbfe) - DVD

It's a double Feature- Moon Zero Two and When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth !

The "Dinosaurs" print is the full uncut version with a bit of nudity (Victoria Vetri!). I wonder if it will be recalled since the packageing is marked for a "G" rating.

I read about this in alt.movies.monster on Saturday and drove to the next state to pick up a copy because my local store, about a mile away, didn't have it in stock.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H

I can't find a listing for the 10/7 releases anywhere on the BB site. I thought "Dbfe" might work, since that seems to be the super secret code word for the 8/29 releases, but alas, no luck. I even went through all the releases for that week - and that's a lot of junk to sort through!

AlanBrom

Second Unit
DVD Drive-In now has the cover art up for these two double features, and they look great, very much like the Midnite Movies covers. It's funny how almost every other company is interested in doing Midnite Movies type releases this year except for the company that started them.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I am so frustrated with Warner. Last year in their chat, they said the DS movies were going to be released. Here we are, two years later and still waiting. What do we get in the interim? More schlock. None of these movies are very good. Were it not for Picture of Dorian Grey, it would be a dismal
year for Warner horror.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

I've seen HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, and I gotta tell ya, I'd rather watch IT any day of the week. I thought HODS was horrible. IT is definitely no classic, but it's got a great performance from Roddy.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Hey Francis, I'm always appreciative when offbeat titles which are considered "less than 'A' " are given some attention on DVD (THANKS, WARNER!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)
. And I'm sure those Dark Shadows movies will have their day - probably to coincide with the upcoming remake starring Johnny Depp.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

You and I did the same thing. I slogged through the morass of Oct. 7 releases and tried such searches as "Dbfe" and "Horror '60s." I dredged up some less-than-thrilling information (e.g., the pending release of HOLIDAY IN HANDCUFFS) but little else.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The WB Horror Double Features at Best Buy, and they are available today (9/30). They were advertised in the flyer and the Best Buy website as a 9/30 receipt!

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
The DVDs can now be found on the Best Buy site by searching for any of the four movies by name, although "It!" brings up a zillion matches. But, so far, only one Best Buy within 200 miles of me has either title in stock.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Cool. They're in stock right now at 5 local Best Buys. Maybe I'll go out tonight...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Numerous copies were at the east Madison BB last night. I found Chamber of Horrors/Brides of Fu Manchu right away but it took me a while to find It/The Shuttered Room since it was filed under "S" instead of "I".

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
bahhhh...no stores in Manhattan are carrying The Shuttered Room/It...great marketing Best Buy!!

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Yep, closest seems to be Secaucus NJ. Guess I'll be patient. But seeing the random junk they do have on their horror shelves is somewhat dispiriting.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

Did you look under "Horror Double Feature" mine had them both shelved that way. I had to ask a drone if they had them and he thought they only had one of them, but they were both under H.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks