Best Buy Ends X-Files Sale Early

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Greg O' Connel, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure many of you know about the X-Files promotion that was going on at Best Buy - each season for $50 until July 4. Well, I work there and was surprised to see that the signs for the promotion were taken down, and that the sets are ringing up at their regular price. There was no communication from corporate that I'm aware of as to why this happened, nor were we told to take down the signs advertising the $49.99 price. The prices just changed in the sytem back to their regular price. If you were planning on getting an X-Files boxset for cheap, you might want to head over to your local Best Buy now and hope they still have the signs up for the sale price, so they'll still have to honor it.

2. James_Ricketts

There was no big sale here in Canada [​IMG]

3. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Wow!.. that really sucks!... I get paid on the 1st... and I was planning on getting season 9 to finish my collection when I get paid... and sure enough.. I just looked at the website... back up to $100.00... not paying that much will wait for another sale. [​IMG]

4. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

Talk about 'just in time'! I bought seasons 6-7-8-9 on Friday at the sale price. [​IMG]

The selection was getting very low, I think I got the last copy of season 6 on the shelf and there weren't but 1 or 2 of the others left. The shelves had been packed in two different places the previous Monday.

I wonder if this was a test to see how well sales go with a better price point.

5. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

One of the previous threads that I think Dave Lambert from TVShowsonDVD.com started about new releases and cost per episode/cost per minute got me to thinking...

These new releases of X-Files story Arcs are 15 episodes for $39.98, or $2.67 per episode.

The SALE price that Best Buy was running for $49.95 was

S1-4 24 episodes at $2.08 per episode.
    S5 20 episodes at $2.50 per episode.
    S6-7 22 episodes at $2.27 per episode.
    S8 21 episodes at $2.38 per episode.
    S9 19 episodes at $2.62 per episode.

I didn't figure the price per minute, but the new releases also feature commentaries so I doubt the price per minute will vary much more than the price per episodes.

Just some interesting trivia, and I wonder if Best Buy didn't jump the gun on dropping the season set prices. Perhaps the season sets will drop -after- the 4 new story arcs are released.

6. Corey B

Corey B Auditioning

I stopped at Best Buy today to pick up S4 after hearing about the sale ending early. When I got there, the 49.99 sigh was still up so I grabbed a copy and walked up front to pay for it. Of course it rang up at the regular price so we walked back to show her the sign. When we got there the sigh was gone! Fourtunatly she was able to find the guy that took it down and I was able to get it for 49.99.

7. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Guess that settles it. I got S7 on sale and was thinking about going back for S8.

This sale does make me think another price drop will happen soon.

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

If you're gonna base the price per episode on the "sale" price that was running, I think you should use $24.99 for the Mythology: Abduction set, which is what it was on sale the first week.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Deep Discount DVD is selling Season 9 for $73.19. However, they are currently honoring 20% discount codes found here. That works out to $58.55, which should be about the same as Best Buy's $49.95 sale after you add sales tax.

Some X-Files seasons are regularly priced at $54.26, which works out to $43.41 after the 20% discount. DDD also offers free shipping.

10. Sue_New

Sue_New Stunt Coordinator

You'll also find great deals on Half.com for BRAND NEW sets. I bought ALL 9 seasons from that site through various sellers for an average of just over $30/set. Beat that.....

*yes, these were all shrink wrapped, never been opened, not a single bad disc in the bunch! I even found a local seller who shipped it to me in one day!*

11. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Stunt Coordinator

i want to buy off places like that and ebay but i'm so worried about asian bootlegs