best Buy dvd coupon - what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Aug 9, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Say, you had a 27 inch analog Toshiba tv with component inputs but no progressive scan and you didn't do the squeeze (no menu option and no tinkering in the service menu), you already had a 5 disc cd changer, not really interested in dvd-audio but interested in getting the best video one can get given the tv *and* you had a 10 percent off best Buy coupon for this weekend. What dvd player would you choose - The Toshiba SD4800, the Sony 715P, the Panasonic RP62 or other lower end model?

Anyone have any opinions?

cheers,

--tom

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would go with the RP-62.

3. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

I thought the interlaced output was fair on the RP-62 like the Panasonic RP-56. I would go for the Toshiba 4800. I heard that the interlaced output on the 4800 was pretty good.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    4800 over the 62 but I would go with the 82 over the 4800 probably.

5. Robert C Wall

I've got a 27" toshiba analog, as well. I chose the 4800, partly because it's remote will work with the tv, and the tv's remote died.

Picture is REALLY GOOD with the 4800 - higher quality than the 3109 it replaced. I don't know why that would be.

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks everyone. I actually checked out Best Buy tonight - SD4800 was $200 making it $180 with the 10 percent off (and no sales tax to boot) but they were out of stock, of course! So, I'm still thinking about it - may try a different store if there is one relatively close that has some in stock. Does anyone know if Tweeter carries either the Panasonic RP-82 or the Toshiba SD-4800?

cheers,

--tom

7. BarbaraN

BarbaraN Extra

I am a novice to standalone DVD players but purchased a 4800 at Best Buy yesterday. I felt that for the price this unit had lots of features. I've just watched part of Lord of the Rings but picture and sound quality are very, very good, in my opinion, although I do not have a really high tech theatre system setup. I will be slowly upgrading components as needed.

I do have some questions about the unit as well as a general cable question. Is the unit always in standby mode? I noticed that when powered down the indicator light remains on, although it changes from green to red. I have the unit plugged into a surge supressor and generally turn the power strip off when items are not in use. Will this be a problem? Also, I purchased monster cable video series 2 AV Kits-video to use in place of the cables that came with the unit and a cheapo S-video cable I have used with my camcorder. Package cost about 49 but I did get a free DVD of my choice (up to 19.99 value) for purchasing an accessory kit (39.99 or more) along with DVD player so cables wound up costing about $30. Do "better" cables truly make a difference. I know that with my other components I have always upgraded a bit rather than using what was thrown in the box.

Is the purchase of an extended warranty worth it for this unit. BB sells 4 yrs for $50 or 2 for $30 or can get a Visa warranty..3 yrs for about 40. I just think that with the price of the unit that extended/replacement warranty is not really cost effective. Why do the manufacturers only warranty the labor on many electronics items for only 90 days?
    Thanks in advance.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

BarbaraN,
    it's always good to replace the cables that came with the equipment. Almost always, anything you replace them with will be better [​IMG]
    As for warranties, I don't purchase extended warranties on items such as dvd players, for a few reasons. One is that they are small and light and easy to either take back to the store or package up for shipment somewhere. Also, they are easily replaceable with something better and cheaper. Finally, I gamble that if something will go wrong, it'll go wrong in the first 30 days. The manufacturers also believe in this gamble and this is why most only warranty labor and such for 90 days. They know that most of the time when components fail, they fail right away. Now, this has nothing to do with how long they'll last once working properly - i.e. mean time to failure from general use. Many of these items will probably keep working for 10 years (I had a Quasar 1985 VCR that lasted for 15 years) but some will fail within a few years. They also figure that people will simply rather replace the broken one with a better, cheaper, new model. It's how they stay in business [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

ThomasL,

I've heard good things about all of the recommended players, but they all seem like overkill to me unless you're planning to upgrade your TV soon. I'd get something like the cheapest Toshiba with component outputs (not progressive) which I think goes for about $130, minus your 10%.

Jan

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jan, thanks. The tv upgrade may or may not happen in the next few years. Future difficult to see - always in motion [​IMG] I really am wondering if the video DACs in the 4800 vs the lower end 2800 will be different as far as interlaced output goes. I know the 4800 has 10 bit/54Mhz DACs while the 2800 has 10 bit/27Mhz but is this simply because of the difference between progressive and interlaced processing or are the 4800 DACs actually "better"?
    cheers,
    --tom

11. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Agent

SD-4800 also does DVD Audio. I think the RP62 does not.

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thomas,
    If you're not interested in DVD-audio, you should consider the Toshiba SD3800 rather than the SD4800. I don't have it but I believe it's the same as the 4800 without DVD-A.

13. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Marvin, I took a look at that today and in the end didn't use my 10 percent coupon [​IMG] Call me shallow but I just had a feeling that the silver cabinet and remote of the SD3800 would not go over too well when put in place with all the "black" boxes. Although the 20 inch flat tube Toshiba in the living room is silver, but that's where the older SD2700 is going to go which is of course black [​IMG]
    Best Buy did have a few SD4700s for $150 each on clearance but when I asked him if it was *new* and unopened, he said yes, that someone had returned it unopened...things that make you go hmmmm, so I passed on that deal but perhaps others would be willing to risk it. They were of course still out of the SD4800 model (in black [​IMG] ).
    cheers,
    --tom

14. BarbaraN

BarbaraN Extra

Thomas,
    I decided not to get the extended warranty for the DVD player. Just didn't seem worth it, in my opinion. As for the 3800 vs. 4800, I agree with you regarding the color. I know it seems like something trivial but I just didn't like the look of the silver cabinet. I also like having the option of being able to play DVD-A. I do not currently have HDTV and am using the unit in interlaced mode but I do plan on upgrading my TV. Knowing BB, there will probably be another coupon available within a few weeks, so you may want to wait and give it another try.

Good Luck.