Best Buy doing a bit better with SACD software.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 13, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

For months upon months, it seemed that Best Buy got in no new SACDs. Now we are seeing a handful of Telarc titles for $15.99 each. Also, a couple Best Buy stores in my area have the new Bruce Springsteen Live in New York City set for $29.99, and one store had a copy of Big Brother and the Holding Company Cheap Thrills for $19.99. I'd like to see lower prices for the Sony SACDs, but at least some new titles are trickling in. That's an improvement.

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Keith,
    Hate to be a pooper...but WOW! {add sarcasm} BB actually got something new in for SACD stock!!?? [​IMG]
    Eric.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, no problem. As I said, a Best Buy store in my area got in two new Sony SACDs, and that's an improvement. Small steps. [​IMG]

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Actually, here in Tulsa I (as far as I know) only have BB and CC for SACD's. BB is improving and the staff is at least pleasant to look for titles that I request(but they say they can't order them, ie.. cowboy junkies open).

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The problem I have with BB's arrangment is that they just throw the discs on shelves near the SACD players. The discs are not ordered. Their DVD Audio selection is a little better arranged depending on the store...unfortunately, at the store I was at this evening, all the DVD-A discs are on two shelves, visible only by the spines...not exactly good for casual browsing.

Oh, and I picked up the Springsteen SACD from BB. I'm glad they got it; I'm amazed I could find it.

- Steve

6. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Steve, How does Springsteen compare to cd or dvd? Do you have them? I don't think I need a third copy!

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, I have not heard the Springsteen CD or SACD yet, but I have read on Audio Asylum and here that the SACD is not the best-sounding one out there. Some people expressed disappointment. Live rock recordings often are lackluster in my opinion.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Steve, my BB has a similar arrangment, or lack thereof, of high-res titles. Call me crazy, but I consider that part of the fun of browsing through the titles. Their SACD selection is small enough that I can find what I'm looking for quick enough.
    My BB started getting a couple of Telarc titles as well. I've already purchased the excellent double disc of Mahler's 5th Symphony and Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique- both multi-channel hybrids, the way SACDs are supposed to be, damnit. I also saw some Frank Sinatra tribute thing and a chamber group playing Beatles music (has anyone heard this one, yet?), as well as Carmina Burana which I will get. Another good sign is that they didn't have the Mahler disc the week before I got it, so that means they are getting more and more titles (even if "more and more" means "one more," but it's something).
    One thing that pisses me off is that there were a couple of Sony titles that I wanted but never picked up, and now I don't see them there. A Vladimir Horowitz performance comes to mind. They don't seem to be doing a good job of re-stocking their SACD inventory. [​IMG]
    However, I still find myself with plenty of things to buy when I step in there, though I am running out of DVD-As to get.
    The only Telarc DVD-A I have is the 1812, which did not impress me. They seem to be doing much better with SACDs.
    Telarc SACDs I own:
    The two afore-mentioned multi-channel discs I got at BB: Mahler's 5th and Berlioz. I am in love with the Mahler. The rest are stereo-only.
    Dukas: Sorcerer's Apprentice (yes, that music that Mickey Mouse dance with the brooms to in Fantasia. The Symphony in C is of greater musical interest, though.)
    Mussourgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition and Night at Bald Mountain. Every ELP fan has to own some version of this music.
    Lang Lang: Live at some-Japanese-place, performing Haydn, Rachminoff, and something else. (How's that for a detailed description? [​IMG] )
    Titles on my wish-list that I would be able to acquire much faster if BB started carrying them:
    Beethoven: Piano Concerto #5 and Symphony #5
    Dave Brubeck: 40th Anniversary
    Freddy Cole: Merry Go Round (marginal interest only)
    Yolanda Kondassis: Trees (marginal interest)
    Mighty Sam McLain: Blues for the Soul (marginal interest)
    Oscar Peterson Trio: Very Tall Band
    John Pizarelli: Kisses in the Rain (marginal interest)
    Shostakovich: Symphony #5
    Stravinsky: Firebird Suite (I already own two versions of this piece on SACD, but you can never have too much Stravinsky)
    Stravinsky: Rite of Spring (While I will gladly grab up any version of RoS and Firebird on high-res, I really wish they'd release some of Stravinsky's other music. There is a lot more to him than just these two things.)
    McCoy Tyner / Stanley Clark / Al Foster
    Vivaldi: Four Seasons
    Come on Best Buy, I know you can pull through for me!
    Not sure how it ranks as a "DVD-A" title.
    NP: Bruford, The Bruford Tapes

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

(Oh my god, will Broadman ever shut up?!...)

Here's a sneaky thing my BB does: Verve has a series of "Desert Island Discs" that have a grey slip-case. On first glance, they can look like the Sony SACDs, so they put them all on the same rack. A less observant consumer can easily mistake them. It certainly confused my roommate who ran into the house announcing that A Love Supreme is out on SACD.

10. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Kieth, At first viewing of Springsteen Live From NY on dvd, I was excited for the 5.1 mix. But after more critical listening, I began to be disappointed. The sound is shrilling with an edge and I have some kind of moroccos ringing in the surround channels on certain songs. Max's drums don't sound like they do in concert(Soft as opposed to drilling). Yes, my system is calibrated with Avia and Rat Shack meter. Although my only comparison to dvd video is HFO and Mirrorball by Sara MC. These are excellent IMHO. The CD rates as most live Cd's (well, kinda like the SACD of Live in the Flesh). I do hope that rock sacds will be well mixed, for that is a larger piece of the pie for my listening.:b

11. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

My BB must be selling at least a few sacds. Last week the shelf was pretty full, they had 2 copies of the springsteen disk, most of the usual sony's and the 2 new telarc titles. Today, it seems like the shelf is pretty empty, springsteen is gone, no telarc's (those went home with me)and the sony's looked pretty well picked over.

Mike, I have the Erich Kunzel performs the Beatles. It's a pretty good disk, just kind of strange hearing clasical flavored Beatles tunes. I really enjoy the Nice N Easy celebrating Sinatra, great sounding disk.

The Kevin Mahogany, Pride and Joy disk is quite enjoyable if you are into the motown flavor. The other additional title that BB added is Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony which sounds great, even though I'm very new to classical music.

Hopefully BB will keep stocking the shelves, especially with Telarcs. I hope to see some of Telarc's jazz and blues sacds at BB. Right now they are mostly the classical titles but for the price who can resist?

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, thanks for the info. I will probably pick up the Springsteen live CD and SACD eventually. I'll take any Springsteen album on SACD at this point.

13. EricK

EricK Second Unit

I picked up Janis Joplin's Cheap Thrills today at Best Buy, they had ONE copy and that is now mine! I was shocked to see they had even gotten in something new. No Springsteen live ablbum though...

Eric.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eric, let us know what you think of the Cheap Thrills SACD. Do you, by chance, have the remastered CD for comparison?

15. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Keith,

No, unfortunately I don't have the CD, but I will let everyone know what I thought of this SACD. Should have some thoughts late next week, as I move into my new home Monday Aug. 19!!

Eric.

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

As far as I know, our local BB is only carrying Sony catalog. Their prices are better than CC. CC is charging the list price for their SACDs.

What on-line retailer has the best prices for SACDs. I am getting closer to getting into SACD. I am leaning towards the new Sony 755, but can't find a local dealer that has this in stock.