Best Buy closes Sam Goody, Suncoast Stores

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Medenwaldt, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3581617.html
    I'm not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere.
    If anybody here has had the opportunity to visit these stores, you would know why they are closing them.
    Both of these stores sold the majority of their product at retail. They never had deals. I can't remember the last time I walked into a Musicland/Sam Goody store. I may of purchased something at Suncoast within the last 2 years.
    Its sad to see Musicland/Sam Goody closing. I puchased the majority of my music from them when I was a teenager.
    Paul

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Musicland, Suncoast and Sam Goody (I used to know Mr. Goody) are almost all in high priced malls. (Thus never selling product at discount - well hardly ever). They never had the sales volume that the standalone Best Buys and Media Play stores have. Consolidation is going on in the retail music/video business because of a proliferation of stores not being able to support themselves because of the economy. That's why closures occur.

3. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

The only time I ever bought anything at either store was when I was given a gift certificate to Suncoast (actually, it was for the whole mall, but I was in the throes of DVD madness at the time, so I used it at Suncoast). $50 got me two DVDs that would have cost at most $40 anywhere else. Home of the MSRP.

Good riddance, I say!

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, not all of the Musicland/Sam Goody/Suncoast stores are closing, just certain ones where their leases went out. The chains will still be around for a while, though they'll probably be dwindling.

Suncoast will be the one I miss. Back in the VHS days, the guys at the Greendale Mall one in Worcester knew me by name, and it was the only place where you could get movies that weren't new releases or were otherwise second-tier titles (anime, the SHORT series, documentary, Hong Kong action, etc). Of course, now that Best Buy and the like now have selection to rival them at $5 less, they're going to have trouble staying afloat. There were always good local record stores, but Suncoast was the only movies-for-sale store I ever saw, and I loved it.

Still, there's occasionally a surprising bargain or two there. I noticed Suncoast had the lowest price on Who Is Cletis Tout? this week, for example.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Soncoasts prices were always a joke. Only time I bought something there was for a rare VHS of the original Drunken Master 2 (not dubbed) for about $25. I remember buying my first DVD, Seven Samurai Criterion, and was surprised to find it on the internet for half what SC charged.

6. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    Despite the high (list) prices, I kind of liked Suncoast because they kept a DEEP inventory of DVD movies. Titles that I couldn't find at discounters like Best Buy or Fry's Electronics were readily available at Suncoast ... for a price of course.
    But there really may not be a need for places like Suncoast with the advent of on-line DVD retailers. Amazon and the likes can afford to carry a complete inventory and sell below MSRP. (But shipping can push the price up [​IMG] )

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The Sam Goody near me always has (had?) new DVD releases on sale for about $20, but yes, most of the catalog titles are full MSRP.

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

These stores did serve one useful purpose -- they gave me somepleace to kill a few minutes if my wife decided to try on "that cute dress in the window". I never bought anything there, but they were a great place to browse.
    If they ever close the bookstores in the mall, I'll be completely screwed. [​IMG]

9. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I guess I'd better use my gift certificates soon instead of getting stuck with them in case they decide to close more stores.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

If I had to guess, they'll cut prices on the non-media merchandise (action figures, magazines, manga, posters) while everything else gets shipped back to the warehouse and eventually winds up in Best Buy.

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Suncoast was GREAT in those wonderful days of laserdisc when I could pre-order a title and get it for a good price. Hey I love dvd and the format is superior but I miss those days when I could go into Suncoast and buy The Rock on laserdisc with Dolby Digital when my friends had to rent it on vhs! :p)

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I liked to shop at Suncoast and MediaPlay, until I discovered I could save a s**tload of money with online DVD retailers.

13. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I have no sympathy for Suncoast going down. Way high prices on EVERYTHING, very rare to find any title on par with Best Buy pricing.

What would be $14.99 at Best Buy would be $25.99 at Suncoast.

I have purchased 1 movie from Suncoast and that was Goonies on DVD, for some strange reason, they were selling it cheaper than they normally would have and I scored it @ $19.99. Very unusual.

14. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Does this sound familiar? "VOLUME!VOLUME!VOLUME!"

15. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

It's an industry trend. Sales are moving away from boutique mall stores and specialty shops and towards discount retailers and e-tailers.

The industry responds to its consumers, and the consumers have spoken.

16. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I couldn't care less about Sam Goody or Musicland, but I kinda hate to see Suncoast go. The one nearest me has awesome deals on action figures sometimes and a decent collection of discs, albeit at MSRP. Although I did manage to snag 4 copies of Army of Darkness 2-disc LE for $40 each and turn around an sell them on eBay for $100+.

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Good riddance to old trash.

All hail Best Buy!

Sam

18. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I hope Best Buy will start selling poster frames though. I've always gotten my movie poster frames (27x40 frames aren't easy to come by) at Suncoast, usually buying all that they had in stock.

19. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

The KMarts in my area have been rumoured to be close to shutdown too. While I very rarely visited KMart, Sam Goody, or Suncoast, I'm fearful that dwindling competition ultimately leads to higher prices.

Although I never did see low prices at the Suncoast/Sam Goody's in the nearby mall. If nothing else, from all of the anectodal evidence here, the presence of these stores and their higher prices ironically (or methodically) drove customers to the parent company - Best Buy.

20. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Something I just remembered...

I actually liked the 'intimate' quarters of the Suncoasts. I think the Sam Goody's were slightly bigger.

But when I first walked into a Suncoast, after visiting many Best Buy's and often, I felt a sense of claustrophobia.

But eventually, I found the 'mood' lighting and squished aisles inviting.