1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Buy charges above SRP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randall Dorr, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Gimme Shelter
    Quills
    These are the only two I've found, but there must be others.
    What's going on here? I know Best Buy isn't Deepdiscountdvd, but they are one of the cheaper B&Ms, and online prices should be the same as store prices. Is this a temporary raise for the holidays? It's a pretty revolting thing to do either way.

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

It could be a mistake.

For what it's worth my local brick-and-mortar BB is charging $36.99 for Gimme Shelter (and all the other $40 Criterions they carry).

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I'm betting a misprint.

SRP for Quills is listed at 19.98 in other locations and Circuit City sells Gimme Shelter for 34.99 so I expect someone mistyped.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

they charge $17.99 for Tenchi: The Movie 1... which is $14.99 MSRP

5. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

The Evil Dead Elite is always like 27.99 everywhere when the MSRP is 14.99.

6. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

While not above the SRP I noticed that Best Buy raised the prices of most of the 39.95 list priced Criterion DVDs from 29.99 to 37.99 just recently.

7. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Maybe there was a reduction in the MSRP for those DVDs and BB just hasn't noticed it.

8. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

. . .Or maybe they figured they could sneakily raise the prices on 10,000 or so of their DVDs by a few bucks each and nobody would notice, and just keep on buying as usual, because, after all, they're "Best Buy", and there's no cheaper place for DVDs than "Best Buy". . .
    [​IMG]

9. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Best Buy has definitely been screwing with their pricing and there are some things ringing up above list price. I picked up the BBC DVD set "The Life of Birds" as an Xmas gift recently and it was tagged at 44.99 but rang up at a whopping 65.99, 6 bucks above list price. They honored the stickered price with no hassle though.

Also picked up Anchor Bay's Giallo Collection tagged at 39.99, rang up at 45.99, and got the Herzog Collection box for the stickered price of 49.99, though it rang up at 62.99. These are both below list, but they certainly are moving towards higher prices, which will only raise my percentage of online purchases even higher.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Quills was indeed marked down to a new lower price point this past Tuesday. Best Buy would have had adequate notice to mark down their street price as well. They can hardly input the new SRP into their system and not be aware that perhaps a corresponding markdown on the selling price ought to take place! [​IMG]
    But this isn't the first time this has been spotted. They do this from time-to-time, probably to make up for their loss leaders. A long time ago I had a list in the Bargains & Coupons section of stuff like this from Best Buy. I can't find it now, so I suppose it was archived or flushed or whatever. Or maybe I just forget what I call it. Searching for keywords like "Best" or "Buy" or "SRP" or "List" or "Price" sure get a lot of hits in that section! [​IMG]
    In the meantime, if you want to get a list of the latest markdowns on list prices, I have that on my newest Weekly Roundup (including Quills).

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I think it's a misconception that Best Buy has good prices.
    Compared to other stores, they do. But it's nowhere near the on-line stores.
    Best Buy would like you to believe that they have good prices by offering the new releases very cheaply in the first week. Shortly thereafter, the price goes up to SRP or 10% off SRP.
    They do often have older titles for sale at very good prices as well, but these are few and far between considering they have so many catalog titles priced very high.

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm back in Ohio for the holidays and was going to pickup the Twilight Zone box sets-- Volume 1 is priced at $74.99 (a 25% discount) while Volume 2 is $99.95, a 0% discount. The MSRP for both is the same. What a jack. I'll wait until I'm back in CA and get 'em at CostCo.

13. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

While BB seemed to do this on select titles for years (the original Quiet Man DVD never fell below 19.99 at my local stores), it seems to be much worse now. One that struck me as awful was when the Cary Grant 5-disc collection came out. MSRP was something like 42.99, so I figured I could get it for under $40 at BB. I went in the day it was released, and they had it for 69.99! Oddly enough, though, after the recent mass mark-up, the price is now 39.99. I'm waiting until after the holidays (and probably for the next Preferred Customer weekend) to pick it up.

14. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

15. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy has marked up just about all of their DVDs and it's not a temporary arrangement either. We were briefed (I work part-time for Suncoast, a BB subsidiary) that BB has more or less adopted Suncoast's price model. You'll notice if you compare prices, this is true in most instances. The reason? Suncoast's profits have increased while BB's have fallen (they posted a significant loss this quarter and their stock price dropped shortly afterward). The days of BB being the B&M place to shop for DVDs is over. Even though I receive an employee discount there, it's still costs less for me to pre-order my discs from DeepDiscount and other sites.

De

16. Keith Helms

Keith Helms Stunt Coordinator

As long as Best Buy is going to sell the "big new release of the week" cheaper than anyone else, I'll buy those from them. Anything else, I'll go looking for a better price online, usually finding it at Deep Discount.
    Even with the release of the week, you can sometimes find it cheaper at another B&M. K-Mart, of all places, had Monsters Inc. for $14.87 when Best Buy wanted $15.99 or $16.99 (can't remember which). I've sometimes seen cheaper prices at Circuit City also.
    If your strategy, like mine, is to buy cheapest, you can't stick with a single source, or even a single type of store (online vs. B&M). Sometimes the B&M's own web site is cheaper than in the store. Best Buy's web site had Star Trek the Next Generation season 6 for $79.99, while it was $99.99 in the store. They won't price match their web site, but the web site has a "pick it up at the store" option!? Go figure! [​IMG]

17. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Many times when there is a price reduction of catalog titles, the sticker price does not reflect this change but it should be updated in the system. Take your disc to the nearest register and have an employee check the price for you if you are ever in doubt.

18. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

It's a shame that they've raised their prices. They used to be the only B&M where I would buy my dvds. I NEVER buy at Suncoast. No wonder they make a profit. They charge MSRP on pretty much everything and lure in mallrats who don't know any better and will pay the higher prices without question.

19. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

You will be all pleased to know that our store (Springfield, VA) has a very aggressive pro-widescreen stance. Every member of our staff pushes it, even when the customer is adamant about buying pan & scan. We even keep the reference pages from Widescreen Advocate in plastic at the counter.

De

20. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

If it's true that Best Buy is adopting Suncoast's awful pricing model, they might as well not bother to carry DVDs. [​IMG]