What's new

Best Buy and the new Toshiba H81 series (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I was going through the system at Best Buy today and found out that they have actually added SKU numbers and placed orders for the new line of Toshibas, the H81 series.
Surprisingly, the sets are going to retail at stores for about the same cost the H80s are selling for right now!
Here's what I found out. Keep in mind that an In-Stock date does not necessarily mean that the product will actually arrive in a store for purchase at that time. It does however give an accurate representation of which half of the month we can expect the product to be available. (7/15/01 = Late July)
Toshiba 42H81
In stock date: 9/15/01
SRP: $2299.99
Toshiba 50H81
In stock date: 7/15/01 !!!
eek.gif

SRP: $2499.99
Toshiba 57H81
In stock date: 08/01/01
SRP: $2999.99
It doesn't look like they are going to be carrying the 65H81 as I couldn't find it in the system.
Since individual stores usually do not carry projections in stock, I checked for the H81's availability at the 20 or so shipping warehouses. None of the warehouses had them in stock yet but All had orders placed. If I remember correctly, quantities ranged from around 50 to about 90-something at the Atlanta warehouse.
As far as I know, once the warehouses receive the product you should be able to go to your local Best Buy and go ahead and place an order even if they don't have one on display yet.
Anyway, I thought this was good info to share especially since I am also looking at getting one of the Toshiba 16:9s! Anyone have any further info on the H81s?
Cameron
------------------
campic07.jpg

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I have been cosidering buying one of the 16:9 Toshiba's ever since the TW40X81 came out. Then the 40H80 was released. I had made up my mind. That was the set to get.
So, I moved away from home to go to college and decided to get a job at the local Best Buy to help with funding my new TV purchase. Even though i generally agree with the stereotypical view of Best Buy (you know what I'm talking about), I also needed a good discount
icon14.gif
. At least it wasn't the devil, Circuit City.
After awhile I started looking at the 56H80 a little more, and the 40H80 started looking a tad small. I originally thought the 56H80 would be too big to go in my apartment, and even though it was a little out of my price range, I just said, "What the DIVX! If I'm spending this kind of money, might as well go too big rather than too small." Soon I was eyeing the bigger brother 56H80.
Now comes the revelation that Best Buy will be carrying the 50H81 around the same price range as the H80s. Could this be the perfect set for me? It's bigger than the 40H80 and not quite as large as the 56H81. It fits much better into my budget. Now I am trying to figure out if I should go with the 50H81. I have never owned a projection screen TV, but have been following the info on the H80 series for awhile now.
Wonder if I should go ahead and try to get a 56H80, or get a 50H81 as soon as they hit the street. It would be great to be one of the first to get new HT gear, but what if the first wave of the new sets are plagued with new product-itis?
Hmmm...
------------------
campic07.jpg

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Thanks for the heads-up, Cameron. I was wondering if you know whether BB will carry the HX series (e.g. 50HX81) and if so, when will they be available and how much will the cost?
Thanks,
Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Andy,
I also looked for the HX series but they weren't listed. I bet they decided to only sell the H81s as Best Buy seems to cater to more of the "lower-end" market.
Cameron
------------------
campic07.jpg

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
I have a TW40X81 now and am interested in the new TW50H81. I would like the added size but only if it doesn't stick out from the wall much more. Are the TW50H81 A/V jacks inset so that the set can go flush against the wall? I have to leave my TW40X81 about 2 inches out because of A/V cords.
I'm also curious about what other advantages I would get. I would like a set that holds black better and that does not display the halo effect so often. Improved focus would also be great(especially in the blue crt).
Also, what are the advantages of getting the HX instead of H model?
Any thoughts?
Ryan
------------------

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
tosh has made new press releases about their upcoming sets. check outwww.widescreenreview.com and follow their news sections for links to the press releases.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I read yesterday somewhere that the trucks loaded up with 50H81's were turned back to the factory to fix a defect that was found. It sounded quite unbelievable at the time, but guess what? It's true!
Something to do with the power switch apparently. The problem is that the factory is now closed until the 10th so we really won't see this set until the week of the 16th.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking to get the 50H81 when it goes on model-end clearance. Only about another 10 months :)
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks