Best Buy and the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Bendiksen, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Yet another episode in the neverending saga of clueless Best Buy employees. Last week the local Best Buy Sunday advertisement mentioned that they would have the new Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE available on Tuesday, Oct. 23 for $19.99.
    A couple of days ago I went into the local Best Buy looking for the DVD. However, all I saw on the shelf was the old version. Summoning a trusty Best Buy employee, I explained the situation to him and asked if they had any copies of the new two-disc SE version, as was advertised. He said he'd "check in the back". A few minutes later he returned, Sunday advertisement in hand, and tried to convince me that the Holy Grail disc in the ad was the same one they had on display. I told him that he was incorrect, and that the single-disc "Deluxe Widescreen" edition was not the same as the new double-disc SE and his reply was "Well, they look the same." I politely told him that he was mistaken and his response was "Sorry, we must not be carrying it, then."
    Now what irritates me most about this situation is not that the Best Buy employee didn't understand the difference between the two discs. What I can't comprehend is why he didn't at least offer to go check their database to see if they had any in stock or on order. He essentially shrugged me off without making any effort to investigate. Just a LITTLE customer service, please! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on October 29, 2001 at 01:56 PM]

2. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I was at my local BB a couple of hours ago and they had both editions. I feel your pain with the customer service, though. I was asking someone there about a DirecTV system and they had no clue...It may have something to do with the minimum wage thing [​IMG] Why do these multi-billion dollar corporations insist on paying all their employees nothing?

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

4. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

5. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

If you don't like it, then shop elsewhere with a service staff that meets yours level of excellence. Tell me how much cheaper the goods are there.

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Mark, I had a similarly disinterested BB employee tell me that there was no Widescreen version of Cats and Dogs...which should be on my doorstep today after ordering it from Amazon.com.
    I like shopping, so Best Buy will be in my routine until they pull something like DIVX. But I'm finding that window between Sunday and Tuesday--between the Best Buy ad and the expiration of the preorder online pricing--is becoming more and more useful. I never have time to watch movies when they are first released, so getting it on street date versus a week later is no longer an issue...with only rare exceptions.
    So Best Buy, if you are still reading this forum to see if we post your prices before they are released, you might want to take some notes and train your blue-shirts in a little customer service.
    - Steve

7. Nick_Gray

Nick_Gray Agent

When I went to pick up my copy, they actually had two separate displays of "Holy Grail": On the front side of the display, where most new releases go, is the old "Widescreen Version" accompanied by the sale tag (properly labeled) showing a sale price of $19.99. Run around to the back of the display, where the comedy section is, and there you have the SE on sale - again, properly labeled as such - for $19.99.
    No price difference, one version obviously the superior, the old version out in the open, whereas you must go digging for the SE. Worst of all, the Store was obviously aware to two different editions. Best Buy has dreadfully mishandled this release...

8. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Arghhh!!! You don't even want to get me started on those Best Buy Blue Shirts.
    I used to think the only training they received was in how to lift heavy boxes without hurting their backs, I have since learned they have not even been trained in that.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

9. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'll tell you guys what the problem is... You're shopping @ Best Buy. I work @ Circuit City and proudly displayed my Monty Python 2 disc sets for all to see! I pass on all of the tidbits about various things I read on this board to my co-workers. While Best Buy simply PAYS their employees, Circuit City pays their employees to KNOW something.

10. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

You guys don't want to get involved with a BB vs. CC discussion. They are both full of unknowledgeable people. CC is generally better than BB, but BB merchandises software better than CC.
    My Circuit City has a rack with all of the DVD'd turned on their ends. BB is so far superior it is not even funny.
    My CC is a complete dump. They recently did it over and moved some displays and counters around. It was done so cheaply, they didn't even put new carpeting in. New carpet was cut only into the footprint of the old displays and counters.
    It is pitiful. BB is killing CC, and i expect big trouble there soon.

11. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

Matthew and Mike,
    I don't know how political we can get here, but a corporations NO. 1 purpose in life is to show a profit.
    I doubt if many of the kids working there can find a better job or are qualified to do anything else.
    I drive 15 miles to BB because they generally have the lowest prices and best selection. Both Costco and Wal Mart can beat them sometimes, but they don't have the selection.
    A "Saturday Matinee" in the mall near me recently disappeared. Probably because their prices were always at least $5.00 more than the discounters.
    If you don't like the service you get there then find another source for your DVD's. I bet it will be difficult.

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Frankly, I have simply stopped expecting customer service from any of these chain stores. I go in there armed with the knowledge of what I want, often obtained from the net, and if they refuse to be helpful, I either ask to speak with a manager/supervisor or go to the next store. Living in L.A. I've got a Fry's, CC, BB & Target all within driving distance, so if one doesn't want my money, the others will take it.

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My experiences with BB here in Fresno have been just the opposite of most here.
    Whenever I can't find a title, the blueshirts have always walked over to the nearest terminal and checked their inventory to see if they have the disc. They don't hesitate to check the shelves and back room for me, and more often than not have found what I'm looking for or found out when to expect it to arrive. They've also consistently had helpful attitudes and seem to really want to be of help.
    When shopping for gear, they aren't always the most knowledgeable, but they do let me play with the remotes to my heart's content, adjusting tvs and such to see what they're gonna look like at reasonable settings.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Actually, to mirror what Steve said, there's been one BB open for a while now, and service there generally stinks.
    But a new one opened up less than a mile from my apt. And that one is fantastic. It's been open a year and still it's hardly ever crowded. The blue shirts there are always approaching me and asking if I need anything. Often they still don't know much about the merchandise, but at least they are making their presence and service known to me. That's the one I go to the most.

15. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Last week I walked into a CC in Hollywood and what a dump. There were DVD's on the floor and they were stacked in total disarray. As I walked out, there was a salesperson at each department, staring straight ahead and no one said a word...not a hello or a goodbye...not a word!!...nothing...they looked like mannequins! I don't see how they stay open. I've had nothing but good luck with the Best Buy where I live, it's fairly new, it's never busy but always filled DVD shelves. It's either there or DVDPlanet, whichever is cheaper.
    [Edited last by John Sparks on October 29, 2001 at 07:19 PM]

16. Mick B

Mick B Stunt Coordinator

Don't get me started.

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I've been shopping at both CC and BB since moving to this area a couple of years ago.
    Well, "shopping" isn't the right word, I guess, for CC. I don't buy anything there...anymore.
    A little background on me: I was in retail 15 years. 13 with the same company, 10 of those as a store manager. I have both high standards, yet also a deep understanding that "shit happens". I try not to get too uptight about perfection, but I can't stand it when they don't even try.
    I used to spend around $160 a month at CC. Then the poor service took it's toll. Refusal to issue rainchecks for out of stock sale items, because "we don't issue rainchecks for media like CD's or DVD's". Insistance on getting a name/address/phone# for all sales, no matter how small, including cash sales, "in case you want to return it". Lack of greeting me when I walk into the area. Lack of availability when I want to buy something (how can they just go and leave the entire media dept. unwatched for 15 minutes at a time?). No interest in helping me find something on the shelves. Not even the ability to pay attention to me long enough to ring up my sale.
    Then they raised their prices around April/May-ish, and that was the final straw. I could stand the lousy service when the price was halfway decent. Now the prices are just too high: a $9.99 items goes for $11.99; a $14.99 item for $15.99; a $19.99 item for $21-22.99; at 24.99 item for $27.99; and a $27.99 item for $31.99.
    These days I show up at CC regularly, to look for items I can't find anywhere else, but I don't buy much. I have averaged $18/month for the past 6 months!
    Multiple letters and e-mails over time, sent to the CC corporate HQ, went unanswered.
    A few weeks ago I posted on HTF this story: I walked into CC to look for something new that noone else had yet, and as I arrived in the media dept. I made eye contact with a new guy behind the counter, who I'd never seen before. No other customer around, and he looked like he was gonna say something to me. I thought, "Oh my God...I'm finally gonna get greeted!". Then he turned around and cranked up the rap music on the boom box he had behind the counter. Alone again. Sigh. I left quickly.
    Best Buy is not perfect. But they try...REALLY hard. I have 3-4 folks at their media dept. who always have gone all-out to help me or my family. If I send a co-worker there to look for something, they always report great service, too. They do NOT know everything, but they tend to try to find answers. And they don't mind answering question after question and looking up item after item.
    A couple of weeks ago I had to complain because a BB employee I hadn't dealt with before wouldn't issue me a raincheck for WS Cats & Dogs, and tried to convince me to buy the P&S version "because it's not like there's such a thing as a widescreen TV". I dropped a letter about her in the mail to their HQ, and hand-delivered a copy to the store mgr. In it, I was sure to praise the good service I've otherwise gotten from the rest of them over the years. I got a call from the mgr that night, offering the $5 savings on anything I wanted to buy, to make up for the lost savings on C&D. I took him up on that a few days later.
    Today I got a letter from BB's HQ apologizing. They thanked me for relating the positive experiences, apologized for the lack of WS C&D ("the manufacturer made an error in their production/shipping and we ony received the pan-and-scan version and none of the letterbox versions. The error has be noticed and we should be receiving some of the letterbox versions in a couple of weeks. Nonetheless, I certainly do apologize for the delay."). Then they explained that they intend to send me a $25 BB Gift Certificate to make up for it, and I'll get it in the mail shortly.
    Now...which of these companies WANTS my business? Hmmm...
    I realize that other locations of each store differ. In fact, the CC across town is fine enough, though not as good as either BB in town.
    On the other hand, the responses from corporate on each side kind of helps me figure things out...
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

18. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

quote: I like shopping, so Best Buy will be in my routine until they pull something like DIVX. But I'm finding that window between Sunday and Tuesday--between the Best Buy ad and the expiration of the preorder online pricing--is becoming more and more useful.[/quote]
    Yeah, I agree with you Steve. Regardless of the bitching and moaning in my original post, I'll still continue to shop there (at least for the time being). However, I no longer buy the more obscure DVD titles from there when they are first released. My experience is that my local BB is way too "hit and miss" when it comes to lesser-known fare. However, since the Holy Grail SE was advertised in my local Sunday newspaper I was very surprised at the blank stares I got when I went there looking for it.
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on October 29, 2001 at 09:46 PM]
    [Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on October 29, 2001 at 09:47 PM]

19. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

As far as selection goes, my local BB has actually been getting better lately. I'm almost ready to forgive them for the time they had ninety (I counted 'em!) copies of Gone in 60 Seconds in stock and none of Gettysburg! Grrr... My local CC is completely and totally worthless.
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    My wife planned to pick up MP & the Holy Grail SE from Best Buy for my birthday, and an employee was actually savvy enough to figure out that the copies they had in stock were not the SE. I guess they get credit for not pulling a fast one on her either accidentally or intentionally. I wound up with the two-disc SE CD of The Wailers' "Catch a Fire", so it was a happy birthday anyway. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA