Best Buy And SACD In Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KrisM, Jan 30, 2003.

1. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I noticed a Best Buy is slated to open in my area and was wondering if any Canadian SACD fans have shopped there. What is the SACD selection and price like?

Regards
    KrisM

NP - AC/DC - Back In Black

2. Anthony Monaco

Well, I'll give you an idea of what they did in the Toronto area (they came up here late Oct, early Nov). They'll have 3 machines (2 Sony's & a Phillips) beside their amp, cd player, tape machine section (all 3 are now on clearence). The software itself is selling for $27 & will be beside the machines in a section that is 3' x 6'. They consist mostly of Sony single layer stereo (70 %), James Taylor Miles Davis (3 or 4 titles), Billy Joel & Dave Brubeck in multi-channel (25%) Very few recorded from the 80's, a little more from the 70's & most from the 50's or 60's. The exception to the rule would be Ms Dion's - All The Way (for $27) & Beck's Sea Change ($20) (2 disks each store). Now except for the last two they dodn't seem to be replenishing them & there is no reason to - they are not selling! (the Rolling Stones Hybirds are with the other CDs). On the other hand the DVD-A's are selling, they replenish them weekly & their section is double the size. Like I said ALL their machines are on clearance (I just picked up one of the Sony's DVP-NC600's for $250 last month) and I wonder if they're going to continue selling at least the software here. Maybe they are getting rid of old stock & will bring some newer machines in. I guess if you & your friends buy enough disks they'll keep replenishing them. (p.s. the Beck sounds pretty good).

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Best Buy is supposed to offer great prices, and SACDs are supposed to mesh right in with regular CDs (ie. stealth marketing).

Priced at $27 each (approx 2x the price of the CDs), is it any wonder SACD is a failure in Canada.

Who in their right mind would pay over $30 CAD (after taxes) for a single CD?

4. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Thanks for the replies, guys. This doesn't sound too promising. It sounds like the same situation as the retailers out west. They carry a few titles(if any), and at high prices, so nobody buys them. Nobody buys them, so they don't bring in more titles.
    I read about this momentum that SACD has and I wouldn't mind seeing some evidence of it.
    I was hoping that Best Buy would carry some Universal titles and a better selection of Sony titles.
    I would pay $27.00(or $30.00 out here) for a disc here and there, but I won't be stocking up on alot of titles. To be honest there are not that many titles left out here that I would pay $30.00 for that I haven't already purchased.

Regards
    KrisM