What's new

Best Buy and Futureshop (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Holy cow, that's very interesting. I was wondering how FS was going to survive after BB moved in.
cheers!
Josh

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Being a frequent customer at Future Shop, I'm wondering what this will mean for the way Future Shop does business in the future. Are there any traits characteristic of Best Buy that will probably find their way up here to Canada? For example, does Best Buy ever do loss-leaders? Future Shop never does, at least, not on their DVDs.

Henry Woo

Agent
Don't know if this is a good thing for us shoppers. I was hoping that it would be a battle between Future Shop and Best Buy for market share. That way the consumers would win. Don't think they do with this scenario.

Kami

Screenwriter
I was hoping for the extra competition as well...bummer.
frown.gif

------------------
riders2.jpg

-Adam
(a.k.a. kami)
My budding DVD collection

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I hope Best Buy revamps their online store and customer service policies. I was f**cked over by FutureShop.ca that I will NEVER EVER order from their online store again. I tell everyone I know to NEVER EVER order from their online store. I went through 4 months of excuses, incompetence and phone calls before I got my DVDs and was billed correctly.
It taught me a good lesson: price isn't everything.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
This is interesting news... I guess this means that their respective online stores will merge too. If this happens, then both sides of the border will win: Americans will get lower DVD prices, and Canadians will get lower prices on electronics.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--Americans will get lower DVD prices, and Canadians will get lower prices on electronics.--
I wouldn't count on it.
Best Buy buying Future Shop. Bye Bye competition.Why would they provide lower prices on electronics in Canada.
------------------
[Edited last by Edwin-S on August 14, 2001 at 08:40 PM]
[Edited last by Edwin-S on August 14, 2001 at 09:19 PM]

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I wouldn't count on it.
Why would they provide lower prices on electronics in Canada.
Currently, Best Buy has better prices than Future Shop for electronics. For example, (factoring in the exchange rate) DVD players at Best Buy are 10-20% cheaper than at Future Shop. Conversely, DVD movies are cheaper at Future Shop than at Best Buy.
So, by combining both online stores, they would have to maintain the same low prices that customers are already used to (for both sides of the border). Or, they could always take the easy way out and establish 2 distinct online stores for both countries. :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'm betting on the fact that they will keep the pricing separate. Why give away margin if you don't have to.
I just hope the selection gets better in the Futureshops locally.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Like most people, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Future Shop has always had the best prices in Canada on DVDs, period. I have always bought my DVDs there when I had the chance and when they were on sale. If the selection goes up as a result of this, I will be happy. If they leave the stores alone, there's nothing to complain about, but if they make changes in policy or raise prices this would obviously not be good. I hope they leave things the way they are or make them better.
Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, they just opened a Future Shop where I live. I picked up "Guns of Navarone", was marked at C$20 but when I went through check out I was told it listed for C$33. They gave it to me at the lower price. Good start Future Shop. :)
I also picked up the Criterion "Hidden Fortress" but that wasn't as good, C$46. The movie was pretty good though.... except for the end.
------------------

John Agent

Auditioning
In my most recent foray to an Ottawa Future Shop I found they had reorganized their titles along category lines, rather than straight alphabetical; I had to guess which category they might have decided a given title should belong in, and found Frankenstein in drama instead of horror sci-fi, and The Borrowers in family rather than in comedy. And now they are placing these extra security stickers that can tear the design of those Warner case covers on the newer DVD's
Anyway, I've never liked the FS atmosphere, it reeks of retailing as fascism, but it seems to have the best selection / prices of brick and mortar stores around here.
As a pessimist, I wouldn't be surprised if we got the worst features of BB (whatever they are) added to the FS mix. As for cheaper prices, they would only use them to undermine local competition until they had the monopoly. (The Walmart philosophy).

I have seen many posts trashing Future Shop over the last few years. While I have found a lot of their sales people lacking in knowledge and professionalism I have to give them a big thankyou for their response to my recent computer meltdown. A few weeks ago my computer went to sleep and never woke up. They finally called me and said that it couldn't be fixed. The three year warranty expires in September.
My original was a PII 300, I had upgraded to PIII 550 chip. After some discussion I received a 1ghz athlon and am extremely pleased to say the least.
I am sorry to see them being bought out as I shopped at their original store in 82. Hopefully the buyout will increase their product base, especially in home stereo. I find they lack a decent receiver line.
Regards
Emmett

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks