Best Buy $14.99 Memorex CD-RW Drive ANY GOOD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Memorex 48x12x48 Internal CD-RW Drive Model 32023248 is it any good? I don't need it to store a lot of stuff just to backup a few things. Also does anyone know if it will just plug into my Compaq Model 5716 computer? I've never installed anything in a computer before so does it plug right in without having to buy any other cables & etc. I figure for $15.00 (with rebates) & that's about all I want to spend but wanted some advice before I bought it. My local store is already out of it but thay said more will be in this thursday.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

My first CDRW drive was a Memorex (made by Ricoh).
    It stopped working a little after 1 year later.
    I was able to get new firmware for the drive and burn it.
    It worked for a little while.
    I purchased a scsi CDRW.
    Don't let this discourage you though.
    The next CDRW purchased was a Sony.
    No more Memorex or Ricoh CDRW drives for me.
    I would buy another Memorex drive if it was made by Sony.
    See if you can find out who is the OEM for this particular CDRW.

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

If you are keeping your old cd-rom and adding the cd-rw, you just need to put it in an empty bay; you probably have topunch out a metal plate blocking the opening. Also you will need to hook it up to an IDE controller. Depending on what you already have; it will probably go onto the 2nd (secondary controller). It should come with a wide flat ribbon cable. Your hard drive and cd-rom are probably both on the primary controller. If they are each on a separate cable, you will nned to put the cd-r as the slave on one; the ribbon cable will have a seconf connector for it in the middle of the cable. Make sure you set the switch on the cd-r to make it a slave if so. The biggest problem is usually trying to fit things onthe cable since they are somewhat short so the 2 drives need to be close to each to daisy chain them.
    You also need to take a spare power connector and attach it to the cd-r; there should be several of them on your power supply. Looks about 1" wide with 4 holes for the fatpins on the back of the cd-r. You mayalso want to hook an audio cable from the cd-r to your sound card; not really need it unless you are playing music cds on it. Your sound car may not have multiple connectors, or yiou may get sound card function from your motherboard (no separate card).
    Hope this isn't too scary, it's quite easy from a non-electrical kind of guy; the instructions should be like mine hopefully clearer! [​IMG]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Bill, I'm sorry but I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" - if you end up paying $15 for this drive and it lasts only a year, I'd consider that still a deal!
    You could bust $100+ and get a Plextor like I did, which is still doing perfect burns 2+ years later. But at that price you could buy almost 8 of the Memorex drives!
    Which reminds me, I should head down to BB and buy one of those for my work PC just for light data backup. [​IMG]

5. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I have this drive and so far so good. I've only burned 1 or 2 CD's thus far however.

6. Carlo Medina

Bill, BTW how are you getting it for $15? I looked on their website and I see it on sale for $75, with a $10 and a $20 rebate (one from BB one from Memorex) which would take it down to $45. Still a steal, but I would like to get that last $30 off that you've indicated. Or are you using some store credit that you have on a return?

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Carlo, it's advertised on the back of this week's Best Buy Flyer. SAVE $30 $44.99 (brfore rebates) box below says $30 in mail-in rebates available.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I have an old 2xCDRW Memorex that is still burning with no problems besides a few operator errors.

Good Luck

9. Carlo Medina

Ah, my Best Buy circular (Los Angeles) says "SAVE $30 - $44.99 AFTER mail in rebates" so I guess you either have a different sale in your region or a typo. Good luck getting BB to honor it in your area, mine definitely won't. [​IMG]