What's new

Best Budget VCR? (1 Viewer)

WilliamZ

Agent
I have received a $100 Amazon GC and I'm looking to upgrade my old Mono VCR. I rarely use it because of DVD, but since I got some free money, what the heck
Here are the top 3 sellers on Amazon
1) Samsung VR8160 4 Head Hi-Fi VCR $79
2) Panasonic PV-V4621 4-Head Hi-Fi Stereo Home Theater Ready VCR $120
3) RCA VR661HF 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR with VCR+ (Silver) $99
This vcr will be paired with my modest system
JVC 32D502 Silver
Denon 2801 Receiver
Definitive Technology Pro Cinema Speakers
Panasonic RV31 Silver DVD player
All comments will be appreciated

Chris Clarno

Agent
Real Name
Christian
I have always been happy with Panasonic products. I'd steer clear of RCA. I might consider the Samsung (they've gotten much better in recent years), but only if I didn't want to break the $100 price point.
------------------
Christian Clarno
Slightly-Off Productions
[email protected]
www.htguy.com (Beta Site)New Site Coming Soon!
ICQ# 4606136

TomH

Second Unit
Check Audioreview.com. They have reviews of most of the current models. I have also had pretty good luck with the lower end Panasonics.
Tom

Vin

Supporting Actor
Based on my experience I would go with the Panasonic......I've found their products to be excellent performers and very reliable.
Hope this helps.
------------------

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
since you're replacing your VCR, it would make sense to upgrade to an S-VHS one. Panasonic and JVC make some good VCR's.
Good Luck
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

WilliamZ

Agent
Thanks everyone for all of the replies.
I'm now leaning towards the Panasonic, but Jay brings up a good point about the SVHS model from JVC. Heck I have a JVC TV.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between VHS and SVHS.
I'm under the impression that SVHS will output S-Video so the picture quality would be better than av connections
If I plugged in my cable composite connection to SVHS player then outputted it in S-Video would my cable connection look better also?
Currently I have it setup in the following manner
a) Component - DVD
b) RCA Cable - VCR
c) Composite - Cable
d) Bunch of Emty S-Video connections
Thanks for all of your help.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the spec for normal VHS is about 240 lines of resolution vs. up to 400 for S-VHS. If you have good quality cable then you should see a differnece with S-VHS. I am fairly confident that whatever quality your cable is that with S-VHS you should be able to record with no perceptible difference from the original broadcast.
Jay

Tod Gettys

Auditioning
I just purchased the JVC 3800 SVHS VCR mentioned above this weekend from Best Buy. I'm certainly no expert, but the picture using a rental tape from Blockbuster was very good. I purchased a standard Sony 4-head HiFi VCR the day before and retured it because I wasn't happy with the picture. The JVC looks much better. I haven't tried to record anything yet so I can't comment on that feature. I got an open box deal for $135 and it appears that similar deals can be found on-line.
------------------

TomH

Second Unit
If you are going SVHS you still may want to consider Panasonic over JVC. My HRS-7500 has been possibly the most unreliable product I have seen. Extremely cheap construction for a fairly high priced deck.
Tom

WilliamZ

Agent
I think I'm going to go with the Panasonic 4-head regular VHS.
I never rent movies or record things anyway.
The VCR will only be used for my son's animated movies.
Thanks everyone!!!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tom, all VCRs are as cheap made as your 7500. They all have deluxe plastic transport parts and such. The more you pay, the more features you get. BTW, I have a much used 7500 and it's never so much as hickuped. You just got unlucky and got a lemon fresh unit, sorry! S-VHS is the way to go. You can use composite connections with them if you want or need to. You'll stille get 400 lines of resolution. You will lose a little bit of colour detail, no biggie. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

TomH

Second Unit
Rachael,
You are probably right. Its just that some companies can do both cheap and somewhat reliable.
The 7500 door mechanism fell off during the first month. I replaced it only to have it fall off the next month. Its nice when tapes eject into a closed door. Other VCR's never have been able to read tapes created on the 7500. The latest problem was with the tape guides loosening up. I really should have sent it back for warranty work but the timing was not right.
Tom

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tom, I've had close to 10 JVC S-VHS decks. I got a lemon 7400, which I gave to a friend to do PIP on his TV. I had one warranty service on it and foolishly paid one totally waste-of-time repair bill on it. Every brand out there is devoid of build quality. It's amazing that most of them function for more than 100 days. The only exception I know of is the Sony R1000, but they were/are expensive. As far as I'm concerned VCRs are disposable. I lucked out on my 7500. Sorry about yours!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
As far as low-end VCRs go, I've always been pleased with Panasonic's products. They're very solid and reliable performers. In fact, I have a 15 year old mono Panny that's STILL ticking in my brother's room.
I've always wanted to go SVHS, but if I ever did go that route, I'd want to do it right. In my experience, everything I've owned manufactured by JVC has had a short life. It's gotten to the point where I'm extremely reluctant to buy their products now.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks