best budget value 5.1 reciever? like, $100-150 cheap?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JesseW, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JesseW

JesseW Extra

Im a poor guy, so i need cheap stuff [​IMG] well not cheap quality of course!

The only thing that i could find was a basic pioneer 5.1 reciever.

Any suggestions? Links are my friend [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

What about refurbs/open box stuff (like the HK store on eBay, for example)

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Refurbs are good. Definately worth a look.
    But I got my Denon 483 (same as the 1403) at 6ave.com for 168.06 shipped. Love it. 5.1 and dts. Decent power output for my small room and smallish Athena speakers. It's got enough ins and outs for what I'm doing.
    Take it easy.

4. Blashy

Blashy Agent

The Creative Decoder DDTS-100 is packed with features and sells for under 150 or 150 direct from Creative.

gear.ign.com/articles/449/449167p1.html?fromint=1

tomshardware.com/video/20040120/index.html

forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=8234

5. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

6. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha HTR-5630 or Sony STRD-595 can be had for under $200.

I auditioned both and went with the Yamaha in spite of the lower power. YMMV.

7. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

8. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

9. John S

John S Producer

Go to ecost do some searches...

They have awesome AVR deals...

I recently installed two Onkyo SR501's bought for around $180 from them. Quite respectable performance indeed from those little guys.

You get Component Video Switching and 6.1 with that deal.

I would say try to at least get 6.1, compoenent video switching will become more important as HDTV really takes hold, so don't discount the feature to much.

Dang like this one:
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=297832

Free shipping too!!!
    That is a dang good deal for all your getting. They even have some respectable Sherwoods for under $100.

10. JesseW

JesseW Extra

dang guys, you rock! Much quicker and larger response than i would have guessed!

Any brands you guys like to recommend to stay away from?

11. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

Stay away from KLH. I bought their new 6.1 reciver over the holidays and had to take it back because there was a popping noise in my rear speakers while in DTS mode. I took it back and picked up the Pioneer I posted the link to and have been very pleased with it so far.

12. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

(Jonathan: Please don't read. If you do, please don't take this wrong. [​IMG] )

I rejected the Pioneer because the distortion spec is 1.0% versus 0.1% for the Yamaha and the Sony.

Vote with your money. Practice conscious consumerism.

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

In your price-range, you might also consider looking at some of the Sherwood receivers. You should be able to find a new receiver for that price.

14. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

pioneer VSX-412D is a pretty darn good receiver for those on a budget offering a ton of options for under 200 dollars. I actually recently bought one to try it out and ive enjoyed it so far. it has a ton more options than most lower end receivers do.

15. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Look for a used of refurb'd Denon 1802 or 1803. I had an 1802 for three years, and it was fabulous. 80 conservatively-rated watts per, great processing, and a nice, clean sound.

16. Wayne Ernst

Denon gear is nice, but doesn't put out anywhere near 80 watts when all channels are driven. A recent test by a U.K. publication had the Denon AVR-1804 only putting out 35 watts when 5 channels are driven.

If you could point me to a review where the AVR-1802/1803 or 1804 puts out 80 watts *conservatively* with at least 5 channels driven, I'd like to see the review. [​IMG]

Thanks!

17. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,
    Did that UK publication mention which receivers did put out the the rated watts with all 5 channels driven? I was also thinking about getting a Denon similiar to the 1802, but if your info is correct, I will have to reconsider and look at others.
    Ken

18. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Regardless of those figures, I can personally attest that I never had a problem with volume or power with the 1802. Also, the 1804 is pushing 7 speakers at a time, whereas the 1802 is dealing with 5, so you have to think about Denon trying to cram in two more 80-watt power sections into the same size chassis with the same power supply, which may contribute to the lower output readings. I had DVD's like Saving Private Ryan and LOTR at ear-splitting volumes, with the volume reading at -13 (w/ 00 being the max). Unless you get speakers with an efficiency of 86db or lower, believe me, the 1802 and related receivers will be plenty loud enough. In terms of budget speakers, used Klipsch Synergy Series models are a good way to go since they have high efficiency (92-95dB). You're going to need a sub, too.

19. Wayne Ernst

Ken,

The Denon numbers were published by Home Cinema Review and Stelios provided us with the link:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3695]Like to receiver reviews[/url]

Ray,

The test was performed with only "5" channels being driven. Also, the AVR-1804 is only a 6 channel receiver.

The Denon receivers are nice receivers - I've owned two of them: 1802 & 1803. I only returned the 1803 because it could not properly operate the zone 2 speakers. However, I think you have to be realistic and accept that it puts a limited amount of power.

20. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

That's all fine, the question is, how loud are you really looking to go? You gotta figure that for most listening situations at 'loud but comfortable' conditions (somewhere in the mid to high 80's in terms of dB), most amps are pushing anywhere from, what, 15-35 watts or so? Through just about any of the widely available quality speakers out there today, the 80-watt Denon, HK, Yamaha, or Onkyo receivers can comfortably fill a small to medium size room with plenty of volume. Otherwise, you'll have to start looking at receivers in the 100-120 watt-per range, and thus testing those budget limitations. Better amp sections will simply cost more, so I think the reality check has to fall somewhere between the amount of clean volume needed and the amount of money there is to spend. I dunno, maybe other makes have more accurate power figures, but it seems that the Denon name continually comes up when "bang for the buck" is a key phrase.

I'll reiterate, however, that depending on budget, the choice of speakers really have to come into play here too. A set of speakers with sensitivity ratings in the 90's in terms of dB will be considerably louder (twice so) at any volume setting than speakers with ratings in the mid 80's. What's the budget for speakers? Or do you already have a set?