Best budget receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Lee_L, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm on a college student's budget, and I need a new receiver. Currently, I have a Yamaha RX-V496, and I've liked it the entire time I've had it, except that I need more digital audio inputs, and component video inputs as well. I have a 46" Sony widescreen HDTV, and 3 sources I'll be using--JVC DVD player, Playstation 2, and the digital cable with HD. The TV has 2 component video inputs, so I can get by with a receiver that has 2 component video inputs, but it must have 3 digital audio inputs (at least 1 coaxial). I'd really like to stay at or below $300, and I tend to like brands like HK, Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo, so I've looked a bit but I can't figure out which is the best deal. Help a college kid out?

2. John S

John S Producer

Refurbished Onkyo SR-502, will be the cheapest most likely.

Best of luck with your purchase.

3. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I'd really rather not do refurbished, I just don't think I could trust anything like that.

4. John S

John S Producer

Pretty hard stance about them on a college students budget... [​IMG]

The Pioneer 1014 is an amazing product, but it's a little over your budget. But it is s much better than any other $300 AVR it warrants the extra cost.

I'd just get the Onkyo Refurb and save some cash.

5. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Lee, you can get one of several factory refurbished Denon AV receivers in your budget range at one of the following:

Dakmart.com
    ecost.com
    PCMall.com
    ubid.com
    MacMall.com

Most of these places also offer extended warranties at very reasonable prices. I purchased both my Denon AVR 2805 and Denon 1600 DVD player this way. I've had them awhile and nothing has gone wrong. Many members of the forum have done this and I've never read about a problem.

Think of it this way; when a "new" receiver comes off the line, it may or may not get a quick quality control check, however, a factory refurbished unit is completely checked over by a technician before they put it out for resale. Also, you can be assured that a refurbished unit has the most recent software included.

Do a search on the forum for "factory refurbished" or maybe "Dakmart" or "ecost" and decide for yourself.

6. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Onkyo SR502 for $229 from www.jr.com, and refurbished it's $150, I'm looking at those, but the whole refurbished thing still rubs me wrong.

7. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Lee, I should have opened my post with "welcome to the forum." All of us find HTF because we want to discuss home theater components and dvds. Welcome.

It looks like you came here for advice about a receiver. You may not get many replies to your post, that's why I suggest you use the "search" feature of the forum. You can search "budget receiver" and see what others have said in the recent past.

I too had issues with buying a refurbished unit. Again, I suggest that you do a search on the subject and read a few threads, then you can make an informed decission.

Good luck.

8. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

JR usually has the 502 on sale for $200 shipped about every two months on amazons friday sale. Check the "deals" section on this forum every Friday, it'll pop up soon.

9. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Lee,

I have just picked up the refurbed Onkyo 502 and added the 2 year warranty. Refurbished also could be cosmetic defects as well. Mine had a sticker on it for a cosmetic defect but I never found one. For $200 delivered from JandR and a total of a 3 year warranty...

I aslo have a HK 235 I got from JandR for $349 and shipping...

bothe decent.

10. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for pointing me in the refurb direction, I'll certainly take a look at it, especially considering that I forgot all about cosmetic defects, I don't care about those. But anyway, so you guys think the Onkyo 502 would be my best bet?

11. John S

John S Producer

Cheapest best bet.

The best bargain right now though is the Pioneer 1014. I actually just sent one back, and I have to say it was an impressive piece for the money, maybe even at twice it's price.

12. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

I can't find that receiver on Pioneer's website [​IMG]

13. John S

John S Producer

14. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

15. Lee_L

Lee_L Stunt Coordinator

Wow, that 1014 looks awfully impressive, and it seems to sell at around $350 on eBay, which doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. Hmm, decisions decisions...

16. John S

John S Producer

For the money, there is nothing that can touch it in my opinion. Really an entirely new price / feature / performance benchmark. As said, a little over your budget, but well worth it in my opinion over any $300 AVR, now the Under $200 Onkyo would probably still be worth it at 1/2 price. But you lose out on some great features and performance for sure.