What's new

Best Budget HT Receiver ? Denon 1802 or Yamaha HTR 5560 or Pioneer VSX-D811S (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
811S owner here.

Previous H/K520, Yamaha HTR5560, Onkyo TXDS676, and Denon 1802.

Musically, the 811S can't hold a candle to any of the above mentioned brand. It's certainly not the amps...it can drive my highly-inefficient NHT 2.5i to deafening levels with no distortion. The problem is the DAC. It simply sucks, IMO. 811S bashers are bashing the wrong thing the way I see it.

However, I bought it for MOVIES, not music. I have the luxury of a fantastic CD player with a superior D/A to any midrange receiver I've ever listened to. But on cinema performance, the 811S yields to no one! It's feature set is comprehensive--DD-EX (not on H/K...a big flaw), DTS-ES Matrix and Discrete (not on Yammy 5560...equally big flaw). Regardless of how bad the DAC for music is, the decoder for DD and DTS is excellent. I would rank it below my old Onkyo 676, but above the H/K 520 and Yammy 5560. But then, it's $500 cheaper than my 676, $250 cheaper than the H/K, and $150 cheaper than the Yammy. With the money I saved, I invested in a Sherwood Newcastle amp which blows away any of the receivers' amps. Even H/K doesn't compare with a seperate amp.

So it all depends on what your priorities are. For music, beware of the 811S. For movies...get the 811S, save your money and invest in something else in your setup. One man's opinion.

P.S. Am I gonna keep the 811S...NOPE. I'm pining for the Sherwood Newcastle R863!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
For me, if the Loudness mode is put on for 2 channel music, the Pioneer 811S performs quite admirably. All this does is simply boost the low end and the high end which seem to roll off when listening at low to moderate levels - thus giving it its "thin" sound. Loudness mode fills it out nicely. I actually use the DACs in my Marantz CD player - which is also budget equipment - but there was actually a very small difference in sound between using the Pioneer's DACs and the Marantz's. I could have went either way.

And as StevenK mentioned, if you believe the amps are the weak link, then you can always use the 811S as a processor only and hook up another multi-channel amp using the pre-outs.

cheers,

--tom

CollinMorphew

Stunt Coordinator
Ease down DonJ. Everyone is giving their opinion here--all you seem to do is bash on this subject on this thread and anywhere else you see someone looking at this receiver. The worst part is--you do it with no consistency in message or source. Look at some of your previous posts regarding the 811--I don't understand why you have some bitterness over a piece of equipment.
the pioneer will not put out 100w/channel not even in stereo the only way you are going to see that number is do what pioneer did to come up with it power only one channel what you really see is more like 20w/c in 5.1 and 35-45 in stereo
Even the link you supplied is to a different piece. No one is questioning your decision or your love/devotion to H/K--just know what you're talking about. As far as the distortion--didn't see it anywhere and don't hear it now. Everyone that has this agrees that 2 channel music doesn't sound that great out of the box. As far as Loudness, don't use that but the midnight mode does bring the life out of everything--with that you get a lot warmer sound without sacrificing on the high side. As far as HT, how could you tell someone to concentrate on the amps as opposed to features--especially on a receiver that has quality amps. It's great that the low end H/K sounds great musically but how are you supposed to enjoy all the new movie formats without a receiver that can process it? Again, music--not the best. HT--still wondering what anyone can put up there that competes on a sound, features and power feature set in that price range?

Chess Martin

Agent
a lot of conjecture flying around here. while i love my new 811, i'll admit that it's completely subjective.

kraco? obviously somebody has never bothered to demo an 811...my eyes just roll at that sort of statement.

it might make 35w, and it might make 70w...shrug, the difference is what? 3db?

i hear zero noise until obscene volume levels. i'm not saying it's the best receiver out there, just that it's a hell of a good deal.

CollinMorphew

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely subjective. I own it and agree there are decks that are superior in the music reproduction department and if you listen to an 70/30 mix of music over HT there might and probably are better choices--even still probably not with the same price point. I hear no distortion and I run it pretty hard. Granted, this is not critical listening disks like opera or jazz but I have run a lot of instrumental, hard bass, heavy bass and clear highs with no complaints--I absolutely have none with the midnight on (without it on the 811 is thin on 2 channel). While this might not be the design of function it absolutely increases the quality 100%. The Kraco comment is so off base and weak I never paid enough attention to respond--especially when someone throws out Denon and Yamaha as the benchmark retort in this type of receiver arena.

StevenK

Second Unit
I think what really gets me is some dismiss the 811S before giving it a chance. That's Electronics Prejudice man! ;)
I think a lot of nay sayers will be pleasantly surprised at the strength of the amps in the pioneer. I certainly was and I was definitely hesitant about such a mass market brand. But I looked at the feature set and the price and figured I owed it to myself to at least give it a test drive. I'm glad I did....The 811S is the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK receiver--hands down--in my book. Hell, it's even a great deal as a pre/pro only!
P.S. The remote on this receiver is wonderful. Better than both the H/K and Yammy...again a notch below Onkyo's venerable remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks