Best Budget HT Receiver ? Denon 1802 or Yamaha HTR 5560 or Pioneer VSX-D811S

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eskendir, Sep 16, 2002.

1. eskendir

eskendir Agent

1)Which of these budget receiver is best for 100% HT setup? The Yamaha 5560 is relatively new and is getting top reviews at audioreview.com I read somewhere that the Pioneer 811 turned out to be so good, Pioneer has added it to the Elite series with very few changes and market it as Elite VSX-41. Denon is considered the best HT receiver this side of $500 by many pro reviewers. Well what are your thoughts? Post it here !!!!!

P.S. Which of these receivers is best used with low sensitivity (86db) and 6ohms impedance, Wharfedale Diamond speakers? How does Harman Kardon AVR-320 fit with this speakers?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Reviews at audioreview are private, not professional, so you have to understand that you are reading OPINIONS, not technical reviews, nor even realistic comparisons to other, similar gear.
    For 100% HT, the 811S would probably do the trick, but I have heard people say that it will not handle 6ohm speakers well. Not so great for music, IMO, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.
    Denon has excellent HT capability, but maybe not the best amps, IMO. This will depend on your speakers. Look for the 1803 (which I have not heard yet) instead of the 1802.
    Yamaha - great amps, but a characteristic sound that I am not very fond of on their lower models.
    These are, of course, only my opinons. [​IMG]

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The Pioneer 811s' music performance is suspect, so I don't consider it a contender among those you've listed.

The 1802 is being replaced by the 1803, which is a fine sounding piece. When compared with the Yamaha 630, it's a bit more musical, although the Yamaha outdoes it overall for theater, in my opinion. Don't know the 5560, but it may be comparable to the 630. If it is, then it's a close call between it and the 1803. Overall, I'd probably lean toward the Denon as I really like its musical performance, but it's not an order of magnitude better than the Yamaha.

Aesthetics, however, are another matter. I hate the way the Yamahas look, and I hate their orange display.

My two-cents.

--AM

4. eskendir

eskendir Agent

Thanks for thoughts John. The audioreview.com review refer only to the Yamaha HTR-5560 not the other two.I said the Denon 1802 is considered the best HT receiver by many Pro( Hi-Fi Magazines) not reviews posted at audioreview.com
    As for my speakers I am thinking of getting Wharfedale Diamond 8 series for 100% HT setup with Velodyne CHT-120 or the Sony Sa-wm40 sub.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I auditioned the 3802 when it came out, and went with Marantz over it. My second choice, mass market, would have been Harman Kardon over Denon also. I certainly don't consider Denon the "best", and best compared to what? I agree that similarly priced Yamahas will do as well or better than Denon for HT. I don't care what magazines say, I go with what my ears tell me. [​IMG]

6. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Check out Sherwood Newcastle. I've finally decided on the 756..retails for $1100cdn
    www.sherwoodusa.com

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I own a Denon 1802 and felt that it was the best receiver at the time for its price. I auditioned a Yamaha 5460 and Onkyo 595 and went with the 1802. I am still enjoying it and will continue to do so until the 3803 arrives. You may want to consider the just released 1803 which now sports a much better remote, an extra channel, but the same power rating. I saw one at Good Guys yesterday and looks like quite the piece

Reggie

John,

Does Yamaha have a receiver which competes with the Denon 5803? Just curious.

Reg

8. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

if there's a better sounding/looking receiver than the pioneer 811 for $300, i'd love to hear it.

i tried a similarly priced kenwood for a few days and listened to yamahas and sonys in store (admittedly not a fair audition) prior to picking up an 811. so far i'm very happy. every now and then i think maybe i should have spent the extra hundred bucks on the Onkyo 600, but never while i'm actually listening to the Pioneer.

ES/EX. 6 channels of amplification. binding posts for 7 speakers. great but slightly awkward learning remote, component switching, 2 coax/2 optical inputs, 4.1 stereo, nice gradual power curve, great looking face...

i have it connected to 4 Energy eXL-16s, an eXL-C and a Sony SA-WM40. sounds terrific...even for music, but i don't know how it would sound on larger mains.

9. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

This is a different slant. Any one of these receivers will probably sound decent , and you may or may not be able to hear anysignificant differences between them. They will all probably have simislr features to one another. However, I think the biggest difference between the receivers you are looking at and any others in your price range may be the ergonomics or ease of operation.

Therefore, I recommend that you check out how to operate these receivers and weigh the ease of operation in your final decision.

For the record, I selected my receiver, a Pioneer VSX709, because I got a killer price on it from Refurbdepot.com. I wasn't even in the market for one until I ran into that deal. Glad I pulled the trigger on that one.

So take my suggestion for what it's worth.

10. Jean_Hendrickx

I think all are great amps, I personally prefers the Pioneer, then the DENON, but of course, you should decide wich features are your preferred. The inputs/outputs options, the performance for movies/music, the sound processing modes (DSP) and setup abilities.

Dollar by Dollar I think the 811 is the best bet.

Jean H//

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

The RX-Z1 is the top of the line Yamaha and is a fine piece of gear. I am very happy with my yamaha RXV620. When it came time to choose for me it came down to price/performance ratio and Yamaha beat everything out there as far as price was concerned. I also felt the Yamaha's sounded much better with HT applications.

Go to your lcal dealer and compare similar priced units, then choose the one you think sounds best.

12. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

I own a Pioneer 811s and can tell you that it sounds good for both HT and music as long as you use the midnight mode. Without it it sounds dull and lifeless.
    Pioneer recommends using speakers between 8 to 16 ohms only. This is written in the manual. They did not give a amp rating below 8 ohms.
    If your speakers are 6 ohms, you may have to cross out the pioneer from your list.

13. eskendir

eskendir Agent

Thank Lerenzo, you're on the money. Pioneer is not recommended for use with speakers with less than 8 ohms. I even called IAG America and said the Pioneer might not be a good mate with Wharfedale Diamonds. The Diamonds are low sensitivity( 86db)6 ohms speakers.

14. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

For the money, sound & features I think it's hard to beat the Panasonic SA-HE100 that can be had for around $250. It can handle every new format & it comes with complete adjustments for Dolby PRO-LOGIC II & NEO:6 & you even have a choice of colors, black or silver. If you don't have a universal remote though I would go with the Pioneer 811 because the Panasonic remote stinks.

15. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

What I hate about Pioneer and the 811's is 100x6 channels that is such B.S. not on its best day. I'm sick of companies putting out junk that sounds like junk then try to give it numbers that are completly untrue. Don't you guys ever get sick of being lied to. Stick with the Quality equipment and you WILL be MUCH HAPPIER. And if you want better Receviers for about 300 bucks here's three Denon 162 H/K 125 and the Onkyo TX-SR500. Forget all the bells. if it doesn't have the amps to back it up bells aren't even worth it. JMO

16. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

17. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Have to agree with aldamon here. While I am far from an audiophile or expert on any of this, everything I read and saw (and now hear) on the 811 is very impressive. I saw true 5 channel power ranging from 64 to 76--Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and H/K are dropping into the 30's and 40's--but with a high quality as well--just not the power. I looked at a lot of equipment in this price range and a little higher and there wasn't really a comparison piece out there. Are there inexpensive systems that sound better in stereo mode straight out of the box--up to your ears. But with a little experimentation matched with the right speakers, I have found that 2 ch stereo sounds great. I also run DVD-A and SACD through it and again--after experimentation it sounds great. As far as anyone looking at HT (I do about 90/10 HT)--they can't do better unless they really make a substantial investment jump on receivers. With a very consistent and high power supply, user friendly set up, 7.1 capability, DTS, DD-EX, NEO-6, 6 pre-outs for everything (C, L, R, L/R surround, L/R back) except sub--anyone looking at a HT receiver foundation for less than 600 bucks would be remiss in not looking at this--all IMHO.

18. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

19. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I just returned from the lab.

Is suspect to me Show me a major rag that has those stats in there I will to say you would might see 25w per channel without distortion.

20. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

CollinMorphew are you freaking kiding me H/K in the 30's 40's H/K is one of the few companies that under rate the power and its constant power I have a 320 and my friend a 811's he brought it over and we did a side by side comparison and the 811's did not hold water it was Literally blown out of the water the is no comparison there at all. I don't have any idea where you getting you info from but it's wrong. Here's a clasic example the 850's claims to have 100 X 6 what it really has is 59 X 6
    here's the links http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf...eivers_lab.pdf http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pdf...s_features.pdf
    Here's the H/K 510 where Harmon claims 70 X 5 the and they got 75 X 5 in test here's the link http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Product%20Information/SOUND%20&%20VISION%20JUNE%202001%20Review.pdf