What's new

Best Brand for Home Theatre In A Box (1 Viewer)

Kathleen

Auditioning
I am looking to purchase a htib with DVD/CD 5-disc changer, receiver with digital tuner, 5 speakers with center channel and a subwoofer. I am considering the following: Panasonic SC-HT290, Yamaha YHT-34, JBL 600, JVC TH-A10, and Sony DAVL8100. What is this forums best brand for an all in one system for around $1000. A Crutchfield advisor suggested Denon, Onkyo, and Kenwood DVT-505.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum!
With that kind o fbudget you can get a lot for your money. Cruthfield is a very expensive retailer, they sell things at list prices. Take a look at www.800.com for better prices. Many on this forum are going to advocate buying separate components, you'll definitely get more for your money that way.
When looking for separate pieces you need:
  1. A DVD player - (I lik Pioneer, Panasonic, and Sony)
  2. A receiver - Kenwood, Technics, Pioneer stand out in your budget
  3. A Subwoofer. Sony makes a great sub that's under $200.
  4. 5 speakers. JBL and others make great packages.[/list=1]
    Some HTBs are audio only, and you add your own DVD player. Right now there's a thread about putting together an $800 home theater that you should check out. It's got some great suggestions. With that kind of budget you should be able to get a great movie experience in your living room!
    Happy hunting!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
My opinion is that the Kenwood HTiB cannot be beat!

However I would look at HtiB's made by:

Kenwood

Onkyo

Denon

Harmon Kardon

Yamaha

Also the new JVC HTB was not too bad sounding,From what I have heard the new JVC stuff has been much improved.

Just do some shopping around and see what YOU think.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
$1K to work with. For that price, I'd go with:
Kenwood HTB-504
Adire Audio Rava
and either the Sony DVPNC600 or Panasonic CV-51
The total is right around $1K. The Adire sub will offer a vast improvement over the sub that is included with the Kenwood system. You can check out www.pricescan.com for better prices.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Sony HTiBs have some of the better performing subs (for an HTiB). A weak sub, or one that only goes to about 40Hz will not get the job done! If it can do at least 25Hz, that's not bad.

I was actually surprised and somewhat impressed with one that I happened upon while shopping. Not bad for the price and a starter system (I don't remember the model).

Todd K

Second Unit
If aethetics is a high priority for you, I'd recommend the Sony DAV-L8100. If you have a Wega TV, the stand is specially designed for the television and looks really cool, just how I'd always wanted my home theater to look. You can't buy the stand separately. And you can get it from J and R, an authorized dealer, for $750. That's the same price as almost all unauthorized dealers. And although shipping is expensive, you may be able to talk them down.

As for the equipment, as with all HTiBs, the speakers are the weakest component. But it does have a separate powered subwoofer. The DVD player is the DVP-NC600, which has most capabilities you'd want. The reveiver is the STR-K502, identical to the STR-DE575, if you want to check the specs. If you're not too hardcore and want a sweet looking system, check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks