Best Box for DIY Tempest Sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Hamilton, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Kevin Hamilton

Hello,
    I am starting to venture into the DIY audio catergory and have decided to build a sub. I am going with the Adire Audio Tempest for the moment but I need some help. Which box would be best for my needs? The room I will be using it in is approx 13x22 and it's 99% for HT use. As this is my first time, I would rather not expirement and would rather go with plans already drawn out. Out of the designs listed as "Tempest Applications" on Adire's website, which would be best? [​IMG] Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

PS I'd link to the page but I'm not allowed [​IMG]

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

For 99% HT, I definitely recommend the Vented EBS alignment. I use a modified EBS alignment for my Tempest (290L; 17.5Hz tune).

What amp are you planning to use?

JKS

3. Kevin Hamilton

I would probably purchase Plate Amp from PartsExpress unless there's any other recommendations in the range of $100-$125ish. Also, with their designs is there no indentation for the sub and it's just screwed into the bottom? Other's I've seen used two sheets and made the inner one's hole a little smaller.

Thanks,
    Kevin

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I REALLY like the sealed Tempests. I haven't found any need for anymore output or extension from my 122L sealed design. I didn't have room for the large vented apps but I am very happy with the sealed. But my room is rather small.
    BTW just how loud do you listen to your movies?

If I had to suggest something for your room size it would probably be the SBB4 vented alignment or a 5-6cf sealed design.

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

There's no real best alignment, it more what's best for you. Adire does a good job explaining the sonic characteristics of each alignment. Basically the EBS will provide the best low bass but lacks punch and has the lowest overall SPL, the SBB4 has the most output and lots of punch, the Adire Alignment is a combination of the two. Only you know what you know what kind of bass you like. I would recommend either the SBB4 or Adire alignment for HT use.

As far as the amp, I just ordered a a 250W plate amp for $100 shipped. See this thread for details:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=169449

6. Camm

Camm Extra

I also went with the 122L sealed design powered with the pe 250 amp and am extremly happy with it in a medium sized room

7. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the Adire Alignment and couldn't be happier. My house shakes with the lows in movies...and for music, I'm quite happy with its response.

8. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I use the Adire Alignment for music, and love it to death. Your room is big enough for it not to look too imposing - why don't you give it a try?

9. Kevin Hamilton

Well, I bought the amp. I've got a 250w Plate Amp to work with now. [​IMG] As for the box, for the time being I may go with a SSB4 for the time being. One main thing being I can make it out of one sheet of MDF rather than having to buy another for only one or two pieces for the Adire Alignment.
    Besides the driver, the amp and the box, what else do I need to complete this?(Assuming the ports + finishes, etc is included with "the box")

Thanks Again,
    Kevin

10. Frank Carter

Do you have binding posts yet?

11. Kevin Hamilton

No I haven't. Mind enlightening me with a link and what they're used for? [​IMG]

- Kevin

12. Frank Carter

13. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Frank, I don't think he'll need binding posts as he's using a plate amp.

14. Frank Carter

I don't know what I was thinking...I even recommended him a plate amp too[​IMG].

15. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Hi all

Adire makes a speaker called the Daeva. The Daeva is a Tempest in a sealed box that is the same size as the box they use for the Dharman which uses a vented Tempest. The original Daeva used a DT300 300wrms plate amp, but I suspect that Adire thought that the Daeva was underpowered. So Adire is coming out with a new Daeva that uses a 400wrms plate amp. The new Daeva will be available near the end of the year. Given the fact that Adire upgraded the Daeva plate amp from 300wrms to 400wrms, you might want to rethink using a 250wrms plate amp.
    Regards,
    TCIII

16. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I think the SBB4 is great for HT. I have one and it isn't the greatest for music but for HT it is excellent.

Edited to remove comment about room size.

17. Frank Carter

The output of a Daeva(w/400W) down low is still not going to be anything close to a vented Tempest w/250W.