What's new

Best boombox? (1 Viewer)

Joey M

Auditioning
Anyone got a recommendation? My sister wanted to run outdoor speakers to her yard but it was too difficult. She has decided to buy a boombox and wants the best one available.

Thanks,
Joey M.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joey, what is the intended budget? A couple of years ago, I bought a Philips boombox at Wal-Mart for $80, and it is quite good. In fact, I was so pleased with it, that I bought a second one a couple of months later. I don't have the model number handy, and it has probably been discontinued, but based on my experience, I'd look at Philips' current offerings. The model I have does not have detachable speakers, but it has a single-disc CD player, cassette deck, digital tuner, and even a remote. Both units have performed flawlessly. This boombox is not too large and does not have the grandiose and ugly styling that, in my opinion, many boomboxes have. It also does not have all sorts of flashing colored lights on the display. It has an LCD that is easy to read.

Joey M

Auditioning
Keith,

Thanks for the reply. Money is no object really but what you are describing sounds perfect for her. I want the highest quality possible without being ostentatious-I agree that a lot of boomboxes are huge and outrageous looking.

Thanks,

Joey M.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joey, no problem. The Philips boomboxes aren't overdone like so many out there. Best of luck in your search.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
A couple of years ago Panasonic was making the best "boom-boxes".
The one I have has detachable speakers and has 4 amps so it does sound pretty good in the backyard. Also it looks good, very streamline.

When I go into places like BestBuy and CC, I don't see that kind of boom-box anymore. It seems like most of them aren't very musical.
They can play loud but sound kind of shrill to me.

I also believe the Phillips line got a good write-up recently in Rolling Stone as having the best boom-box for sound.
I don't remember the product #.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

Thanks for posting a link to the picture.

Joey,

My Philips boomboxes look similar to the one that John referred to. The ones I have are silver, but the unit that John referenced may be the current version. As I said, the one I have was $80 two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks