1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Best bookshelves for ~$300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_L, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

I need a couple bookshelf speakers for around 300. Bass isnt too important as long as it has decent upper bass, and good midrange/highs. My room is about 15x15 ft.I need something for both movies and music.
    Ive been considering Paradigm Mini's and PSB Image 2b's. All also thought of NHT SuperOne's but theyre sensitivity might be too low for my Onkyo DS474 to handle. Im getting these to replace my too-bright Infinity RS-2's as mains for my HT. My center spkr is a JBL S-Center. Im not buying a JBL Studio pair because i know there are better ones for the money, even though they would match better. Thanx for any help or suggestions.
    -Ben
    [Edited last by Ben_L on September 28, 2001 at 02:02 AM]

2. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I own PSB Image speakers and highly recommend that anyone in the market for new speakers should add them to their audition list. I have also heard the JBL S-38s set up correctly in someone's home (4 S38s and an S-Center) and would recommend in your situation that you get the S-38 (or S-36) speakers to match your center. I really liked the sound of the S-38s matched with the S-Center. The S38s will provide more of a seamless soundstage with your S-Center than the PSB 2Bs would. You can pick up the S38s online for about $300.
    David

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Might I suggest the Level III bookshelves from Home Theater Direct ? A pair only cost $199 (plus shipping), but the quality of these speakers is outstanding, and well beyond what you actually pay for them.
    I've owned a set of their Level III speakers for a almost a year now, and I'm very pleased with how well they've performed. Imaging is good, the highs are sweet and the mid-range is very warm and natural. Match them up with a quality subwoofer and you've got a pretty good sounding system.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Definitely take a look at Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers. A pair sells for $300. I see you live in California. I don't, but I believe some people here have said that Good Guys out west sells Energy. I don't know if this is just the Take 5 series or the full line. You might check Good Guys.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Paradigm Titan, B&W DM303, nOrh 3.0, used nOrh 4.0, Axiom M3ti
    Possibly either ACI Emerald or AR.com speaker but you need to be able to make the cabinets yourself.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef Q15.2. Amazing imaging and midrange. Definitely worth a listen.
    Hope this helps.

7. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I think you can get a set of klipsch sb-2 for around that price.I use the sb-1 for my surrounds and they are great little speakers.I am using the onkyo txds575 and they are a great match.The speakers are super efficent so just about any amp will play them loud and clear
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

8. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Ben,
    I have a pair of NHT SuperOne Xus and a pair of OutdoorOnes. I think they are one of the best sounding speakers for their size/cost. I am using these for a game room (Xus) and patio area (OutdoorOne). I am currently driving both pairs with a very old JVC reciver (rated 100 watts/ch, but really much less) with no problems at all. Here is a place to get a good deal on SuperOnes from an authorized NHT dealer http://www.yawaonline.com/nht.html $239/pr. You might also want to try http://www.6ave.com/main.jsp . They are also an authorized dealer. The prices on their web site are high, but you can call to get a good deal. I got a pair of NHT OutdoorOnes for about 1/2 price. Good luck.
    Jay

9. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

if music is more important than movies-
    check out the Accoustic Energy AEgis one. for $300 I've never heard a more musical speaker. They do make matching centers and surrounds, but I've only listened to them for music. They're very special little speakers.
    good luck.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have always been happy with the e:XL 16s for music for the price. $300 isn't going to get you an all-world speaker, but the Energys are good for both music and movies for so little money. I compared them to Paradigm Atoms, and the Energys were far, far better. There was no comparison.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on September 28, 2001 at 12:43 PM]

12. Ron Katcher

Ron Katcher Agent

13. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Ron... Monitor Audio Bronze. They just got an awesome wright up in Sound & Visson and I listened to them at my local dealer. They are pretty great for the money. Also the Paradigms are a very good bang for the buck as well.
    I'd go with either of these two.
    ------------------

14. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

I feel that the e:xl 16 sounds pretty good for music use and even better for theater. John,what exactly didn't you like about the e:xl 16?
    Later Haywood [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Wood's Home Theater

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    e:XLs sounded "tinny" and bright to me at the top end, and only certain types of music sounded odd to me (female vocals). Maybe it's the aluminum tweeter, or the fact that they are exposed. The midrange sounds fine though. Not bad speakers at all, just not my preference. [​IMG]

16. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Also check out the PSB Alpha B along with the Image.

17. JohnZ

JohnZ Agent