best bookshelfs under $125?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Dec 19, 2002.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Can someone give me a recommendation on the best pair of bookshelf speakers I can get for under $125? I am looking for something that I can temporarily use as my fronts, and then later I will move them to my rears when I can upgrade again. I only play movies and never listen to music.

Thanks

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Are you only looking for 2 speakers now David?
    I take it you ruled out the quintets eh? I have decided to keep mine and experiment with 'em [​IMG]
    What kind of center did you have again? You may want to see if they have a mathing pair of bookshelves. At least then you will have a good front 3. Then when you upgrade, just buy a matching set of bookshelves for your surrounds.
    Have you went & listened to anything locally yet?
    Speakers are very personal.
    Good luck. Keep us posted on what you decided on.

5. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Frank,

Can you give a link to those speakers? I can't seem to find the JBL N26II's.

6. Brian Johnson

7. Brian Johnson

I seen these in another thread http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html and wonder just how good these speakers actually sound. I guess its double your price range though.
    We need a guinnea pig....[​IMG] David?

8. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Those aren't the right ones. Here is what Frank was referring to.
    JBL N26II

9. Brian Johnson

Thats what I thought too.
    But at BH those are fetching a hefty $249.. I went off his price of $130 & assumed the other model.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Here is the link to what I was talking about:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/...= F2745412080
    I know it says $249, but underneath the price it says "email me a better price". Just click on it and enter your email address and then it will provide a link back to the site where it's $130 shipped for the pair.
    EDIT: I just realized the price is $139/pr shipped not $130.

12. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Take a little trip to www.ubid.com and do a search on "Wharfedale". They have lots of nice speakers for cheap there.

14. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I just ordered 2 pair of Athena (made by API, the company that makes Mirage and Energy speakers) S.5 bookshelf speakers for $150/each pair/shipped. MSRP is $175, and most places charge shipping. You have to call www.onecall.com and speak to someone to get "the deal". These speakers have garnered rave reviews and won an award from Sound & Vision magazine recently.
    Good luck [​IMG]

15. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

My budget choices are as follows:

Phase Technology Teatro 4.5 available for $163 at ubid -- see their superstore. Got a great review in HT mag, and the reviewer ended up buying them, as part of a system, if I recall correctly. He had the Phase Tech speakers matched with Krell gear, believe it or not, so their price/performance ratio should be quite high.

Mission MS731 at ubid for $112-- see their superstore. The original 731i got a great review in Stereophile and a friend bought them. I've listened to them and thought they were a great speaker at a very cheap price. Their only drawback was the treble was a little shelved down and the bass only goes so low, but what a midrange. The MS731 should be a bargain as well. At a little higher price, the MS 771 is about $176. Probably a good step up.

Aura LSB-527. A personal budget fave, especially at $55 a pair on ebay. They list for something around $280 new, but the company went under. A great cheap speaker, but at 6 ohms, need some current to drive them. That ribbon tweeter is quite natural sounding and the midrange is quite good as well, comparing well to some speakers that cost around $1000. I use them in my office system and find they are quite good, especially for the $$$. A good match for Sherwood Newcastle amps. See the review on audiorevolution.com

Any of these speakers would make great choices, but you would have to match them with the right amplification to get the most out of them.