Best bookshelfs for sub $800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Cruz, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Ryan Cruz

Ryan Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I was considering getting Klipsch RF-3's, as they sounded very good, but the only problem is that I'm going to put them in a small room. I was wondering if there are even better sounding bookshelfs than that.
    Oh btw, I live outside the US where Norh, Swan and Axiom aren't available [​IMG]

2. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I love my Paradigm Mini Monitors. I use them as my rears but when I listen to them as stereo fronts the sound awesome.

3. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Polk makes a great line of Book shelf speakers, the LSi-7 would likely be the way to go and you might be able to find them for ~$800 a pair.

They are small enough to put almost anywhere (and include a easy way to mount them) and don't sound like a small speaker at all.

Brian

4. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

You may want to take a look at B&W, the 602 series 3 is supposed to be great, it around $650 I think. I've listened to the 602 series 2, and was very impressed (though I ended up going with the floorstanding 603's).

5. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Also take a look at Paradigm Studio 40. Plenty of good reviews here.

6. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I really love my Snell QBx 20s and 15s...

Todd

7. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Having listened to most of the other good speakers that have been mentioned, I found the Jean Marie Reynaud Twins Mk II to exceed all expectations. When you listen to them, you forget about the speakers and focus on the music. I believe they are under $800.
    Link to JMR website

8. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

I auditioned both the RF-3 floorstanders and the RB-5 bookshelves and ended up purchasing the RB-5's. The speakers sounded almost identical with the edge going to the RB-5. I thought the RB-5 had tighter bass and sounded a little smoother. Keep in mind that this demo was in the dealers showroom and your space may give you a totally different sound than the showroom. But in my opinion, the RB-5's were awesome. By the way, I found these speakers at my local audio store (Sound Advice) for buy one/get one free so at that point it was a no-brainer. They also get great reviews over at audioreview.com. Check it out.

Mike

9. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I have RF3's in my bedroom. I use to have RB5's. Both are great!

10. David_ME

David_ME Auditioning

Ryan,

if you have a chance to listen to the Reynaud Twin MKII, i would definatly recommend it. i don't think they are popular on this forum, but a search on Audioasylum.com should provide plenty of useful information.

david

11. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Dynaudio Audience 52's.......
    [​IMG]

12. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Some others to add to your shopping list:

Sonus faber Concertino, Dynaudio Audience 52, Dynaudio Contour 1.1 (possibly used), B&W CDM1-NT, NHT 1.5, Paradigm Studio20.

These are all better than the Klipsch IMHO, but you may find differently.

Heard rumblings of the new Polk Lsi and Reynauds but have not auditioned these.

13. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

i heard the JM-Reynaud Twin MKIIs today, and i agree that they are very good speakers. i compared them to Paradigm Studio/20 v.2s and the Klipsch RB-5s. To me, the Paradigm and Reynauds were somewhat similar, and i didn't really like the Klispchs all that much. The imaging on the Reynauds is very nice though.

14. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I second the Paradigm Studio 40. They're the best bookshelves I've heard around that price point.

15. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

If your music preferences lean towards jazz, classical or vocals, try Triangle Titus 202's

16. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John