What's new

Best Bookshelf under 1000 (1 Viewer)

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
George: My bad. You're right. If you need to get 3 speaks, the av1+'s are probably the way to go.

Brian: no panels, so ..... Hook me up. Got pix on the marble?

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
"my bad" drove me batty for over 2 years until I just stopped noticing it. I still hate it.

Paul Johnson

Auditioning
Von Schweikert's, boring, beauty is only skin deep. The fit and finish on the VR-1's is very good. All components are top notch. I've owned a pair since returning from CES and they sound better in many ways then my Mirage OM-7's. When needed, I use my sub to augment the bottom end. I've got over 50 hr's on them and they get better each time. IMHO, you'll be hard pressed to find a better bookshelf speaker under $1000 that is as dynamic as the VR-1's. They will not fatigue you with bright thin sound. I've been very pleased with them. SACD sounds, as it should, absolutely fantastic with them.
Before you call them boring, go have a look and see how well the're built and how beautiful the finish is. Then listen, and be pleasantly surprised at what $1000 will buy.

Gregg_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have lived with Spendor s3/5's now for 6 months and they just get better and better. I actually bought 4 of them for my HT. I think my cost on them was 700 a pair. Great Musical Speaker. If you have a chance to audition a pair then do it. You will not be sorry. The only downfall is that they are a bit power hungry.

Gregg

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Geoff,

I think there are a couple of things that need to be considered here before you can narrow down your choices. As you can see from the recommendations so far, your options in the $1000 ballpark are incredibly varied. A lot is going to depend on the following:

1. What application are you using the speakers for? You've mentioned a matching center channel, so HT is obviously a consideration. However, will you also be using the same set-up for music?

2. If music is a consideration, how serious are you about it? Is HT the main objective, or are the two applications going to share equal weight of importance?

3. Again, if music is a consideration, what kind of sound do you like? Are you a detail guy who will kill to squeeze every last bit of resolution out of your set-up? Or are you willing to sacrifice some detail for a warmer, fuller sound? Maybe you want an even balance of both. Do you like sound that is more laid back or more forward? Is soundstage depth more important than width? The list goes on, but they're good things to consider as a starting point.

4. What associated components are you using these speakers with? In particular, what amplification are you using? Will they be matched with a HT receiver or a separates set-up? Tube or solid state or both (hybrid)?

5. What size room are you using them in? And will you have a subwoofer to aid in bass augmentation?

6. Is WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) a serious consideration?

There are probably many other things to consider, which I'm sure other HTFers will point out. The options that have been suggested by other posters in this thread can hardly be argued with--they are all very good speakers--but you'll get so many recommendations, that you'll have a harder time making a decision on what to audition than you did before you posted your question!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks