Best bookshelf speakers? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickN, Jun 29, 2002.

1. NickN

NickN Auditioning

I'm looking for some recommendations on bookshelf speakers. Big room, 50/50 music/movies, under $400 a pair. Swan Divas are out unfortunately because the wife thinks the rosewood would clash with our pine furniture. I suggested we stain the furniture to match the speakers but she wouldn't go for it. To be honest, I would actually prefer buying something I could hear first anyway.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

How bout ascend acoustics? You can go with the CBM-170 for $360 a pair or you could go with one of their packages and get the CBM 170 for mains and center, HTM-200 for rears, and a HSU VTF-2 sub all for $1200.
    www.ascendacoustics.com

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

oh....something you could hear first........how bout....Boston Acoustics CR8?

by the way, welcome to the home theater forum!

4. Neil R

Neil R Agent

For $459 delivered (retails for $500), check out the triangle titus 202. It is stereophile clss B, Sam Tellig raved about it. Just bought a pair and they have wonderful mids and and clear highs. Do a search at AA in the speaker forum for dealer info and user comments or check out stereophile.

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Axiom Mt22i's. You're going to be hard pressed to beat those for that price. I think you can even get them factory outlet for $320.

6. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i second the m22s. just get the FO pair and audition them in your home. or if you want a retail pair they can be had for $400 (shipping included) in whatever color you want (the only FO color is maple right now). if you dont like them then just ship them back, but like eric says, you will be hard pressed to find better speakers for the price.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I third the M22's.

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Paradigm Mini Monitors. $360. Decent bass response when not paired with a sub. Go to www.paradigm.com to find a dealer near you to go and listen.
    If you are near Canada, Paradigms can be had much cheaper if you cross the border to buy them. American prices are good, but the Canidian prices make them a steal.

9. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I'll second the triangle. You might want to check out my new favorite the new Kef Q1, which is getting some rave reviews by the British press.

Hope this helps.

10. NickN

NickN Auditioning

Does anyone have opinions on PSB, B&W, or Def Tech. These are all speakers I can easily demo in my area.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Personally, I like the PSB Stratus Minis.