Best bookshelf mains and matching center for $2500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Jul 14, 2002.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to upgrade my B&W 604s2 and LCR6S2 to monitors and a matching center. The 604's are too big for my new HT room 13'x 19' x 7'.

I need suggestions on what brands to look for in the $2500 (so many choices) range that are both musical and suitable for home theater. I will be driving them with a Rotel 1095 200wpc amp.

Thanks,

Dave

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sticking with B&W or moving to something else?

What about CDM-1NTs and a CNT, or N805s with an HTM1?

3. David Barteaux

Was was thinking about stuff in the specialty shops like Meadowlark, Soliloquy, Proarc, etc., that is built for the critical two channel music crowd, but with good matching center.

4. George Tong

George Tong Auditioning

I was thinking about going with the Snell QBx.
    If anyone out there that has them, let me know how you like them.

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Check out www.rocketloudspeakers.com. I have a pair of 250's and the RSC200 to go with my Hsu VTF3. They sound amazing, and come in a very nice Rosewood veneer. The retail for the mains and center is $1300.00, but you may be able to do better.

6. jad

jad Agent

I just read that the 250's won't ship for another 2 weeks?

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I would like to recommend the GR Research AV1+ speakers. They are highly regarded on this site as well as on Audioasylum.com which is mostly a 2-channel stereo site.
    THey are a DIY speaker but they've been compared to speakers that cost up to $3,000 as a couple of guys who've owned B&W, Dynaudio etc.. have preferred them. I used to own PSB Goldi's but gave them up for the excellent midrange and highs from my speakers.
    Here's an excellent review from Audio Asylum from a member named JonBee. Visit the site for more reviews. The speaker that Jon reviewed is by GR Research but it's the Paradox 1 speaker which is basically the same speaker but just a different tweeter. The AV1+ is supposedly smoother with a silk domed tweeter and more room friendly.
    Also, do a search on this forum and search for GR Research in the DIY section or the Speaker and Subwoofer section.
    I had my cabinets built and my crossovers assembled by Brian of Rutledge Audio designs. The parts are from GR Research and the owner is Danny who is highly respected in the DIY circles. Another DIY speaker company you might want to check out is Adire Audio. Dan Wiggins is highly respected in the turn key and DIY circles and there are loads of people on this forum who have either a speaker driver, speakers or subs from him and his company.
    If you'd like to see some of Brian or Rutledge Audio Designs cabinet work, go to his site and scroll down and look for the AV1+ cabinets. They are Cherry color and they are beautiful.
    Good Luck

8. David Barteaux

The Rocket RSC200 looks like a serious center speaker and should be a good match for the 250's with similar tweeter. Are these avaliable for sale now?

Russell can you give us a subjective mini review of your Rocket system listing the good and bad you may have noticed with regards to imaging, soundstage, build quality, placement options, and how well the center integrates with the 250's.

A few good reviews on these may get my attention.

9. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Sonus faber Concerto's and the Solo center

10. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

I was just reading a Brit magazine called What Hi-Fi. They had all kinds of bookshelves. They rated the B&W 602 5*****, and also the wharfdale which are cheaper 5*****. Also there is a great review on Axiom sight of the M22s. They got some kind of reward you click on my sight to get to a banner link. Also one.com has Atlantic Technology 350 system really cheap. A whole lot of choices. To me Axiom is the best bang for the buck, wharfdale too.
    Admin note - do not post affiliate links on this forum again.

11. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

How about the new Polk LSI series, or some M&K's?

12. Dan Kaps

Dan Kaps Extra

I'll throw in a vote for Monitor Audio's Gold Reference 10's and Gold Reference Center. (Retail price for the package would be $2500)

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

14. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I'd definitely recommend a pair of Polk LSi9s with a LSiC, they match perfectly and sound truly amazing. Not to mention look stunning [​IMG]
    Brian

15. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I second the Monitor Audio Gold Ref 10's!

16. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

My new Polk Lsi 9's sound great for both music and movies.
    My room is 12' x 14' They sound very good with my Outlaw 1050 / Marantz MM-9000 setup. Speakers set on large / no sub or set to small / w-sub. Purchased at www.acousticsounddesign.com $650.oo shipped, Lsi Center is $400.oo shipped, Polk LSi FX Surrounds $650.00 shipped. Money left over for a sub !

17. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

I'd suggest 3 nOrh synthetic marble mini 9.0 drums ($2250 shipped, I believe) from http://www.norh.com. These use high-end scanspeak drivers and a very creative enclosure (bound to get looks and questions) that is also sonically excellent. Dispersion on the norh drum design is outstanding, so the sweetspot is nice and HUGE. These don't go as low as the full-sized 9.0, so you should pair up with a good sub. This is an audiophile-quality bookshelf speaker that should perform exceptionally well with both 2-channel music and HT. I own the SM 6.9's, and this is the route I'd go if I had your budget.
    For additional choices not already mentioned, check out VMPS (www.vmpsaudio.com) offerings, maybe ACI as well. The VMPS is reputed to have excellent sound for the $$ and is a tweakers dream (don't buy these if you just want to plop them on a stand and be happy). I have not heard the VMPS, but the rep would get them on my short list to research.
    Those rockets (previously mentioned) look nice at first glance, but I haven't listened to them either.
    Have fun!
    John G

18. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that the best use of the Norh's is as a center channel, as I have a 4.0 marble, and it performs amazingly well as a center. As for mains, I have a pair of AAD 2001, and these things ROCK! Enclosure is 12x8x13 (HXWXD) and they go down to 30 Hz. They also weight about 50 ibs each, as the cabinet is filled with lead, and they are some of the best looking speakers that I have ever seen. They retail for $2500, but you can find them for less, and the NOrh 4.0 marble retails for $375, but IMO it best cneter channels that list for twice as much. Good luck

19. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I would consider four Vienna Acoustics Haydns and their Maestro center channel. List is $3000 in Black or Beech and $3400 in Rosewood, but I'm sure you could get them for $2500.

20. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The Joseph Audio RM7si (or Cinergy), ProAc One SC, or Aerial's Model 5 or LR3 (+ CC3 center) are good options (but slightly more than $2500 unless you find them used).