What's new

Best bookshelf... Between $1000 and $3000 a pair. Opinions. (1 Viewer)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second these two:
B&W Nautilus 805($2k)
Revel Performa M20 ($2k)

and add

The energy veritas v2.2 bk (~1800)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Here's a third for ACI 25th Anniversary Sapphires. Got an Essence center channel and a pair of Sapphires by delivery earlier today (they had around 10-15 hours on them, so they have started the road to break in). Yes, yes, I know these are very break in sensitive speakers, but the sound already is so seductive. I've owned more speakers than I can remember, but these are already the most musical. Not the most efficient speakers though.

One thing though for the other Sapphire owners out there. Definitely try them with the grills off. I'm not kidding. The sound opens up so much.

I will say that I was almost leaning toward returning them before I got them, due to the fact that the Sapphires aren't magnetically shielded and the size (53 pounds) of the center. But now, no way. I know each of our ears are different, but these musical babies are staying right here.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Poor Brett, you've still got much to learn....jk

Ok Jesse, now you head out there with this list and audition!

Oh yeah, please donate to the Khoa needs money Fund, thank you all credit accepted

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
all the speakers i've heard, i've heard in a different enviroment. these are speakers that people more fortunate than me own.

M&K S-250 -- this is by far the best speaker i've ever heard
JBL PT800
Infinity Intermezzo 2.6p
NHT M5 -- i've heard the m6, and they sound incredible.. but they're for large rooms so i say go with the M5 unless you need the higher power handling.

for the JBL's you'll definitely need a subwoofer... without it, you could damage the speakers.

JustinDR

Agent
I second the Reference 3A De Capo i suggestion and I'll add Oskar Aulos to the mix. Two very different pairs of speakers, but each excellent in their own right.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Only problem with the EFEs is that they can't be returned. Aside of this, they are about as giant killing as it gets at any one of their price points. Truly EXCEPTIONAL.

Also consider Green Mountain Europa. Go to www.audiogon.com forums for feedback on this speaker.

Also look at www.odysseyaudio.com Their new line of speakers is getting amazing raves. I have their top-line speaker and kicks butt over speakers several times their price. A steal at their currrent price points. Plus there's a money back guarantee.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse;

Boy, everyone here has given you more good advise than you probably expected! The reason is that there are so many excellent bookshelf speakers in your price range, you'd go nuts if all where available for your audition.

Totem, Tyler, ProAc, Silverline, Sonus Faber (must audition), the new Kef's are bitchin', PSB, ad nauseum...

If I were you, go really upscale: go with the Ascendo System Z Loudspeaker. True, they are floorstanders and go for $25,500, but what the heck, just one audition will do it. Match it with a Jeff Rowland 302 stereo amp. and with a Rowland Synergy IIi preamp and you are set! Don't sell that Toshiba DVD player just yet, it will have to do as the system's front end for now...

JaimeB

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi to all
Hears my 2 cents or one more for the list. Joseph audio RM7si I have them and think they sound grate :b :b
I don't understand Y I don't hear of them good :D or bad:angry: . Has any one heard of them? Maybe I should not ask, pleas be gentle you see I reeeaallyyy love them.:D :D And my RM30s.
Hears my web page but no good shots of my RM7s. http://users.nac.net/armor/
Better hears Joseph audio web page http://www.josephaudio.com/index.html good luck with the hunt for gooooood:b sound.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE $3500
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Wow! Well thank you everyone. Well I havnt had a chance to audition too many speakers. But right now I think I may need to lower my price range a bit. Wife says so. But now im interested in

Infinity Kappa 200's
Kef XQ1's
B&W Nautilus 805's - If I can swing these with the wife.

I think Im more interested in a more efficent speaker too... if that helps narrow it down. Im going to be using a denon 982 reciever.. 90watts at 8 ohms.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I believe you would get the most bang for your buck from the XQ1's out of those 3 in my humble, honest, opinion.

Steve-sas

Agent
Polk LSi9

Vienna Acoustics Haydn

Linn Katan

I can highly recommend any of the above. I have spent a bit of time with each of the three speakers and have listed them in order of preference. All three have a MSPR of around $1,000.

george king

Supporting Actor
out of those three, definitely the XQ1, which is a really sweet speaker. However, you really should check out the GR Research Speakers (www.gr-research.com), as their offerings are really great values for the money (and this comes from a former long time Kef owner).

They have several pairs of most of thier speakers touring the country for audition, so you could hear them in your own home. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks