What's new

Best Books (2 Viewers)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
Compared to a lot of people here I am still a beginner. I do not understand things like how to wire speakers correctly in a system since I've only dealt with basic stereos. I don't know the different formats for video and how they work within a home theater. So I was wondering.

What are the best books out there to teach the basics to semi-difficult topics? Is there one bible book that covers both audio and video or would I be best buying two seperate books? I bought the car stereo cookbook for audio a few years ago but home audio is something entirely different.

Again, I'm looking for something to explain both audio AND video. What are your suggestions? Thanks. Matt

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I have never found a good book on Home Theater.

I think that your best source of information is this site right here. Between the HTF primer and knowledgeable members that will answer your questions without making you feel like an idiot you will learn more than from any book that you will find.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I would just ask questions. No one will think your questions are stupid. Because everyone here had to ask the very same questions at some point. Mike

LarryGM

Auditioning
Matt:

I agree with others that this forum is a great place to learn and communicate, but sometimes it's helpful if information is organized in a logical or sequential nature.

I found this book (http://www.htexplained.com/index.htm) to be very helpful to me about a year ago when I considered myself in the same position as you. It includes audio and video as you wanted, is probably 125-150 pages, and very well written.

I believe the website allows you to preview chapters by clicking on the table of contents. Maybe you won't even have to buy the book. I noticed the addition of a "Beyond the Book" section that is new. I may have to take a look at that myself.

The only thing missing which I would've loved to have seen covered in depth was HTPCs, but that may have been a book all by itself.

Larry

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Well I think, although the people here are great, it can be hard to get an answer sometimes. There are plenty of posts that have replies that tell some to just search the forums. Id rather read something over and over that goes from very beginning to end on how things work together. Matt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Id rather read something over and over that goes from very beginning to end on how things work together.
Nice idea, but there are SO MANY options that the description would be too generic or too detailed. The detail would be nice, but only if that system matches yours in types of components and the way it's wired.

In concept, a HT system is not that hard to hook up, or even understand the basics. But there is a lot of detail behind-the-scenes.

We have different fourms that break these out. The Audio Video sources fourm is great for DVD players/Sat/CATV (sources). The Receivers/Amp section is dedicated to the HT receiver (the heart of the system). Finally the Speakers and Display Devices handle the output.

So dive into the buffet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks