Best book shelf speakers for $100

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin_collins, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Justin_collins

Hello everyone. I wanted to hear everyone's opinions on the best bookshelf speakers I could build for around $100. I have the mdf, glue, veneer and other things need for construction. So the $100 would be for drivers and crossovers. I would like them to be relatively efficient and good down to at least 80Hz. I have some paradigm studio 20's and would like to obtain a similiar or better sound. I could be convinced to spend more so I'm open to any suggestions.
    I'm very good at building cabinets, but have never attempted making my own crossovers. What is the level of difficulty involved in making crossovers? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Justin,

It is not clear what you want to do. Do you want to design and build your own speaker, which includes designing the crossover or do you want to build a speaker?

If you want to build a speaker, and this is your first project, do like I did, buy one of the existing kits, which are proven designs, and then build your own cabs. I went with the gr-research AV-1 kit. But there are lots of others. A lot of people like Adire Audio, as well as some kits offered over at madisound or parts express.

Designing a speaker is a whole different ballgame altogether, and requires considerable experience and knowledge (which I dont have which is why I went the kit route).

Hope this helps.

3. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Check out the RC2 from selahaudio.com

4. Justin_collins

I guess I'm looking for the best kit available (excluding cabinets) for around $200.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

5. TedS

TedS Agent

Dennis Murphy has several different designs in different price ranges. I made his MBOW1, which may be a bit over your price range, but he has two lower-priced variants, the MB20 and MB27. The Vifa Tower may also be of interest to you. The MBOW1 is excellent, and is very popular at the Madisound audio discussion board. Dennis is also very responsive to questions you might have.

Ted

6. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator