What's new

Best black-and-white transfer? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasantly surprised by Fox's transfer of The Hustler. :emoji_thumbsup:
I can't wait to see how MGM's edition of Wuthering Heights (1939, William Wyler) looks. Greg Toland's cinematography is amazing.
Gordy

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I realize its not really a black and white film, but I always thought that the black and white parts of Pleasantville looked stunning. The color isnt too shabby either, but that movie is very sharp and bright.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Portrait Of Jennie is a beautiful film.
It sure is, and the DVD has a restored transfer from Scott MacQueen, so it looks better than ever(and includes color tints that haven't been seen since the original theatrical release). It's available online for less than ten bucks, one of the biggest bargains around. Kudos to Anchor Bay!

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Portrait of Jennie does indeed look largely stunning in the current Anchor Bay DVD incarnation; and not just because it is one of the most beautifully-photographed b&w films ever. Some sequences look quite soft, and not always because of the cinematographer's (the great Joseph August, his last film) stylistic choice. But that is to be expected of a title with such a turbulent post-production history (as seemingly all David O. Selznick films are). Frankly, it's a substantial blessing that Scott Macqueen was able to restore much of this nitrate-shot, oft-cut box-office failure as near to its original splendor as can be suggested on DVD. Moreover, as mentioned, at > $10 at many e-tailers, it's a steal of a deal. Very highly recommended. :emoji_thumbsup:

One than no one has mentioned yet is the Criterion WILD STRAWBERRIES, which may be the finest 1950s black and white transfer I've ever seen, although THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL comes close.

In addition I would nominate the 1933 LITTLE WOMEN which is another fine job at Warners (courtesy of Lowry Digital Images I assume)

I agree completely about PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, CITIZEN KANE and IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. They're magnificent films beautifully rendered on to DVD.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Second the votes on Rebecca and Portrait of Jennie.

Another that is often overlooked is All Day's gorgeous Bluebeard (1944)--Edgar Ulmer had a great eye and it's well-displayed on this transfer.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I'll second the suggestion of Columbia's release of "His Girl Friday". The restoration work on this title is nothing short of extraordinary. It's nice to see that a major studio would put so much work into a public domain title which was already available from several other sources.

-Lyle J.P.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Them & Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Glad to hear Little Women looks good. Been meaning to get this, but don't want to get it through the mail (shipping is tough on the crummy Warner cardboard snappers), and can't find it in any store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks