What's new

Best Binge Shows (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm looking for binge shows I haven't seen.

My favorite binge shows are:

THE WIRE
DEXTER
THE SHIELD
BSG (2004)
DEADWOOD

Edit:

BREAKING BAD
LOST

What are your favorite binge shows? What is a binge show I absolutely must not miss? Thanks.

Last edited:

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Does it have to be shows that have already finished their final season?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ideally, because I want to binge the whole series, but if you think it's truly binge worthy in its greatness, lay it on me!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
24 is at the top of my list. Each season can be quickly binged, and then of course you can go through the entire series as well. Since each season is a day, a friend and I once took a day to binge an entire season trying to match the show's clock with our own as much as possible. Great fun.

I mostly saw Lost under binge circumstances - watched the first five seasons in one summer, and then the final season as it aired. I think it worked out better for me. A lot of people felt the show raised tons of questions it didn't answer, but when watched over such an intensely short period, the show actually does answer the overwhelming majority of its questions. The connections between storylines were clearer when seen close together.

Did something similar with Breaking Bad and I thought that was rewarding to see (mostly) all at once.

Just my opinion and possibly a weird one at that (almost no one agrees with me when I bring it up and since some of your faves are premium cable I suspect we'll disagree), but I don't like binging any HBO show and possibly any premium cable show. Lacking traditional commercial breaks, to me those shows all have weird pacing issues that make them seem way longer than they actually are to me. I've liked some HBO shows, but I couldn't watch half a dozen episodes of one at once.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel were fun binge watches for me. I saw Dollhouse live as it originally aired, but have binged it one rewatches. Firefly I prefer one at a time - I think it's Whedon's weakest show (a good premise that got canceled before they hit their stride).

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was great fun either one at a time or as a binge - sadly there are only about 30 episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of binging because I think the best shows deserve some time to digest what happened before moving right on to the next episode. That being said, I think 24 is probably the best show to binge because it's exciting and practically made for the "I gotta see what happens next!" and you can also get over the rocky episodes pretty quickly.

I've liked some HBO shows, but I couldn't watch half a dozen episodes of one at once.
I would watch multiple episodes of Six Feet Under in a row and then I'd feel like shit for the rest of the day. I've never had a show actually affect my mood that much before. It's a great show but rough.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I unintentionally binged Six Feet Under before bingeing was a thing. It started airing before I went to college, but when I moved into the dorms, no HBO. My dad would tape as many episodes as he could onto a VHS tape in the EP mode and then mail them up to me so I could catch up. And I agree, it was tough to watch a bunch at once. I did better when I moved off campus, got cable, and could do them week to week.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Shows that tend to have season long serial arcs are always candidates for binging. At least that is my theory.

I would agree with the choices listed so far, although I tend to agree with Travis that some shows need to absorbed a bit, versus just plunging headlong through the season. Breaking Bad is a great show and part of that greatness is how it plays out over the season, so while it is imminently binge-able, a slightly slower viewing schedule might be more rewarding.

The show that immediately popped into my mind when I read the topic was Prison Break. It had fast pacing and every episode ended on a tension filled moment. It didn't require a lot of introspection, but it did create a lot of memorable characters. For me, just about perfect for binging.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not sure if it would be your cup of tea as I'm not very familiar with the show, but my wife's favorite binge watch is Gilmore Girls.

I always want to binge watch Twin Peaks, but I find it more effective going one or two at a time.

West Wing can be good for binging - there are a lot of small details that are easier to keep track of when watching closer together. The fifth season is absolutely dreadful in my view and that I can usually only do one or two at a time, but the other seasons I can watch a bunch in a row. And even though I know very little about sports, Sports Night was a show I watched very quickly.

Though it's not a favorite of mine, Alias is very easy to binge. First season is the best, second is still pretty good, but the last three seasons were varying degrees of awful to me - but easily watchable awfulness, for whatever that's worth.

And CSI is another one I can usually do a bunch at a time. I lost a bunch of interest after William Petersen left the show, but I can binge seasons 1-9 pretty easily and love that era of the show. Though it's a procedural, they start sprinkling little bits about the main characters and their personal lives that can make following the show a little more compelling than a procedural that doesn't do any of that.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
'24' is perfect because if you have a lot of time to think between episodes and seasons you realize how flawed it is.

I hesitate to recommend it, because I don't think it's for everyone, but you might want to consider 'Rectify', which is in it's final season right now so would most likely be done by the time you got to the end. Not a huge commitment either as it's only 4 seasons with 30 episodes total. It's sort of a slow burn show, but has possibly the best writing of any show I've ever watched.

Some other possibilities:

Justified (especially after season 1 when it became more serialized)
Arrested Development (you wouldn't think of binge watching a comedy but this one actually has a lot of back references)
Veronica Mars
Mad Men
Carnivale
Boardwalk Empire
Banshee (Ridiculous, but fun)
Hell On Wheels
The Killing
Damages (hits a lull in the middle but finishes strong)
Magic City (Only 17 episode commitment)
Sons Of Anarchy (Admittedly I tried to binge watch this one but ended up bailing after around season 4 but I know people that loved it)
Fargo (still going but the seasons are independent of each other (sort of) with new stories, at least so far)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
More modern era serialized shows with a central mystery are the best for bingeing. I agree with 24, Lost, Breaking Bad and Prison Break. I'd add CW's The Flash, especially season 1.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not sure if it would be your cup of tea as I'm not very familiar with the show, but my wife's favorite binge watch is Gilmore Girls.

I always want to binge watch Twin Peaks, but I find it more effective going one or two at a time.

West Wing can be good for binging - there are a lot of small details that are easier to keep track of when watching closer together. The fifth season is absolutely dreadful in my view and that I can usually only do one or two at a time, but the other seasons I can watch a bunch in a row. And even though I know very little about sports, Sports Night was a show I watched very quickly.

Though it's not a favorite of mine, Alias is very easy to binge. First season is the best, second is still pretty good, but the last three seasons were varying degrees of awful to me - but easily watchable awfulness, for whatever that's worth.

And CSI is another one I can usually do a bunch at a time. I lost a bunch of interest after William Petersen left the show, but I can binge seasons 1-9 pretty easily and love that era of the show. Though it's a procedural, they start sprinkling little bits about the main characters and their personal lives that can make following the show a little more compelling than a procedural that doesn't do any of that.
I have seen every GILMORE GIRLS with my wife. Liked it, but once was enough. Great idea on WEST WING. have the set and think it would be fun to revisit. I love the first two seasons of ALIAS.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
- Total Recall 2070
- The 2010 Nikita reboot

- The original Battlestar Galactica, and the Starbuck episode from Galactica 1980

(If you don't insist on absolute 100% historical accuracy).
- The Borgias
- The Tudors

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
- Total Recall 2070
- The 2010 Nikita reboot

- The original Battlestar Galactica, and the Starbuck episode from Galactica 1980

(If you don't insist on absolute 100% historical accuracy).
- The Borgias
- The Tudors
The Starbuck episode from Galactica 1980 is my favorite.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Another few bingeworthy shows if you don't insist on 100% historical accuracy).

- Rome on HBO
- Spartacus on Starz

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think Boardwalk Empire is HBO's best series after their gold standard shows (The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood) that always get mentioned.
I might even put Boardwalk Empire ahead of Deadwood. And might put Six Feet Under ahead of all of them other than The Wire.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I bought the DVD seeason sets when they were released(15 years ago, scary how fast time can fly)I don't remember much about the first season other than I liked it a lot. By the second season I was in love with the show. Fantastic writing, acting. Never watched a show that could be equal parts funny, and heartbreaking. 22 episodes in less than a week. Problem was that the US DVD releases were about 6 months behind the U.K. DVD season sets. So I bought a region free player, and continued on through season 3.
A friend of mine watched all 7 seasons in less than two weeks.
One of the best shows I have ever watched. St. Elsewhere is the only other show that is as addictive as Buffy to me.

Firefly(just 14 episodes) is also brilliant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks