Best binding posts fir DIY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Lopata, May 16, 2001.

1. Ken Lopata

Ken Lopata Agent

I'm having a dual HE15 6 p.r. sub built for me. Who makes the best binding posts for a high end sub? Please let me know phone # or web address. Thanks. Ken

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

4. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Ken,
    Consider the Bennic BG Posts from Madisound (http://www.madisound.com), for $1.65 each. VERY high quality, work as true 5 way posts, and cost effective. Easy to use and add a good quality feel to your speaker. I believe they're the same as the $10 Parts Express units, but am not 100% sure.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dan,
    The only binding posts that I see on the Madisound site that are listed as BG posts are $3.75 each. But maybe you get a cheaper price if you buy in bulk! [​IMG]
    Brian
    ------------------

6. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dan,
    I did finally find them on their website the other day! I just forgot to post here saying so. The strange thing is, the both look identical but they are different prices and model #'s.
    Thanks again!
    Brian
    ------------------

8. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmmm....Ken, if you are planning to mount these directly through 1.5" of MDF, then the 30 mm shaft is going to come up short, if I have my calculations correct. In this case, you might want to consider the Yung posts with the 45 mm shaft, though they are not as elegant as the Bennic posts, or you can route out a small area and use the Bennics as Dan has suggested.

9. Ken Lopata

Ken Lopata Agent

Bob, I just ordered the dual cup you e-mailed me about from madisound. Is this the one your talking about that won't work. They're not shipping till Monday. Let me know thanks a lot.
    Ken

10. Bob Sorel

No, Ken, the dual cup will work just fine. The Bennic posts are individual posts that can be mounted one at a time directly through the wood while the dual cup is preassembled and recessed, so it is a bit more difficult to mount neatly. Either the posts or the cup will do the job just fine [​IMG]

11. Ken Lopata

Ken Lopata Agent

Bob, is my thinking right? If I go with the dual binding posts, I can hook up each driver to one set and I'll then be able to jumper the posts(like I would right on the driver), this allows me a lot of wiring flexibility with the K2 without ever going inside the sub. Is my thinking correct. Thanks
    Ken

12. Bob Sorel

That's correct, Ken [​IMG]
    On the dual HE 15 sub I am currently constructing, I am actually going to use 4 pairs of binding posts (or 2 dual input cups), as each driver has 2 coils, and I will connect one coil to each pair of binding posts. This will give the ultimate in wiring flexibility, as you can use any arrangement of series and/or parallel wiring, or even drive each coil with independant amp channels.
    If the K2 is the only amp you will ever connect your sub to, you should be just fine with one dual input cup. Just wire the 2 coils in parallel from each driver to one pair of posts (the same for the second driver), and then connect one channel of the K2 to each of the drivers. Run the amp in mono (not bridged) and this will send 1250 watts to each of the drivers.

13. Steve Hanna

Steve Hanna Agent

Bottom of page Dan mentioned...
    NEW! YG-POSTR YG-POSTB
    New from Yung. Gold plated 3-way posts w/ extra long 45 mm shaft, 5 mm diameter. 9mm knurled diamond-pattern head. 6mm cable entry hole. 4 mm banana plug hole. Red or Black.
    $1.25
    These look very good to me.
    ------------------
    Steve Hanna
    Audioaficionado

14. Steve Hanna

Steve Hanna Agent

TD-CUP
    Four heavy-duty brass screw-downs with gold binding posts on rectangular cup. For bi-amp (removable straps) or subwoofer use. 12cm x 9.25cm 9.25cm x 7.25mm cutout
    $8.10
    Hmmm...
    This one is a lot more expensive at Zalytron.
    Very nice indeed.
    ------------------
    Steve Hanna
    Audioaficionado