1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Bargain DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brice, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a dvd player under $200 (I can scrape a little more though if I have to), perferably under $200 that is reliable and has the best bang for the buck when it comes to picture/sound quality. I will be playing it with a Samsung 20" flat screen tv, which has a 16X9 anamorphic squeeze feature and component video inputs. I want something reliable until HD-DVD comes out and then I can get one of those to go along with a future purchase of an HDTV. But for right now I'm a college student living in the dorms and want to get a dvd player to replace my PS2 dvd player (which is no good). I don't need a player with too many special features but PQ is tops on my list.

Some players I have listed to look into are (in order of interest):
    Toshiba SD-3800 (or anything equivalent, toshiba is on top of my list for dvd players)
    Panasonic RP82S
    Sony (don't know which one...)
    Samsung (again, don't know which one...)

I kindof want one with progressive scan/faroudja chip, but if i can get a great player and it doesn't have this feature then there is no worries. I plan on getting an HDTV in about a year so there is no hurry...

Does anyone have either of those top two, most preferably the toshiba 3800? I would like the pros/cons... thanks for you help... Brice

2. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

to add to this, some players (e.g. DENON!) have a buffer for when the player skips layers so there is no pause... is there any "cheaper" dvd players with this? I would include the denon dvd-900 but that is $100 more than i want to spend [unless someone knows where i can get it (or equivalent) cheap]...

no chroma bug either please...