Best Bargain DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brice, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a dvd player under $200 (I can scrape a little more though if I have to), perferably under $200 that is reliable and has the best bang for the buck when it comes to picture/sound quality. I will be playing it with a Samsung 20" flat screen tv, which has a 16X9 anamorphic squeeze feature and component video inputs. I want something reliable until HD-DVD comes out and then I can get one of those to go along with a future purchase of an HDTV. But for right now I'm a college student living in the dorms and want to get a dvd player to replace my PS2 dvd player (which is no good). I don't need a player with too many special features but PQ is tops on my list.

Some players I have listed to look into are (in order of interest):
    Toshiba SD-3800 (or anything equivalent, toshiba is on top of my list for dvd players)
    Panasonic RP82S
    Sony (don't know which one...)
    Samsung (again, don't know which one...)

I kindof want one with progressive scan/faroudja chip, but if i can get a great player and it doesn't have this feature then there is no worries. I plan on getting an HDTV in about a year so there is no hurry...

Does anyone have either of those top two, most preferably the toshiba 3800? I would like the pros/cons... thanks for you help... Brice

2. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

to add to this, some players (e.g. DENON!) have a buffer for when the player skips layers so there is no pause... is there any "cheaper" dvd players with this? I would include the denon dvd-900 but that is $100 more than i want to spend [unless someone knows where i can get it (or equivalent) cheap]...

no chroma bug either please...