What's new

Best bang for your buck in center and surround speakers? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'm looking into setting a 5.1 setup for my 15' by 12' living room. I already have the main fronts and will probably purchase a Dayton 10 sub based on what I've read here so far. As for a center speaker and surrounds, I'm certainly impressed by Fluance's prices. I was wondering if you guys might have any other recommendations. Also, can Fluance bipole surrounds be placed freestanding on their bases, or do they have to be wall mounted for optimum sound? Thanks!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
get a center that matches the fronts, if you can. what are your fronts?

surrounds matching is less important.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Scott. Tough to make any recommendations without knowing what your main speakers are or a price range. Your center should really timbre match your mains, which will mean a speaker from the same family/line of speakers.

Wall mounting Bi/dipoles is not a necessity, but their placement relative to the room will still be important.

Sorry, my main speakers are 250 watt Sonys(SS-U800AV) made sometime between 1988-1990. They are part of my parent's old stereo system which I now own. Since I can't match a center to these, should I look into getting new main speakers? I guess I could keep the old Sony speakers and old stereo equipment together as a dedicated music-only system in another room. The Onkyo receiver I'm looking at wouldn't drive the Sony speakers to their full potential anyway...not that I'd even need them to in such a small room...

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Rich, I was basically in the same position as you. I had a pair of older mains that I wanted to keep, because I like them alot. So, no opportunity to match center speaker. I went with the Fluance center as well as a pair of their bipole surrounds (these can happily sit on any flat surface and look and sound fine). I'm very happy with my setup and did not have to spend a fortune. The Fluance products are amazing for what they cost, especially after they are broken in. I also have the dayton sub you mentioned. Again, awesome for the relatively low cost. With a little tweaking, everything seems to blend together fairly well. No substitute for matching mains and center I assume, but I don't need perfection at this point. I have an Onkyo 501 that I picked up for like $250. I'm very impressed with it by the way and it has plenty of power for my needs. Regards.

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Rich, check out the Wharfedale WH-2 bipolar surrounds for $62 a pair at ecost.com rated for 120 watts. I'm very satisfied with my pair. I haven't seen anything else in this price range that's a better value. Keep in mind bipolars perform best mounted in a corner location. Rear surrounds don't need to match the mains perfectly so you can have more choice with them. Happy hunting.

Raj_Thiara

Agent
I would suggest doing some critical listening at Audio stores to see if you should upgrade your mains. If you prefer the main fronts then go ahead and try and find a center to match them. If you find new speakers in your price range that are better sounding to you, then it may be worthwhile to get a pair of matched mains and center.

In terms of some considerations should you decide to upgrade, if you aren't afraid of online purchases consider Ascend Acoustics package of CBM-170 fronts and CMT-340c center (can be had for about $600 US). I have a pair of these and am continually floored by their detail. They can be returned for full refund less S+H (? $15)within 30 days so it's like you can get a cheap home demo if you don't like them.

If you want to read some reviews check them out at www.ecoustics.com or www.audioreview.com.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if i'm not mistaken, there are some center channel speakers available that allow you to change the timbre in order to match it to your mains. perhaps it's a receiver that allows you to do this. or maybe both. can't remember, exactly, but adjustable timbre at the center channel is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks