What's new

best bang for the buck!?!? (1 Viewer)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
what's everyone's take on the best "bang for the buck" system that would allow both good HT and Music setup - keep the price < $1,500
talking just receiver and DD speaker setup with a sub
assume the following - room is suitable size, end-user already has a TV, VCR and DVD Player (oh, and a turntable for the purists):)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
ok - i guess i'll start... this is what i plan on getting next bonus...
Denon 2802 Receiver ~$535 online
and Energy Take 5.2 system ~$685 online
:star: $1,220! :star:

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
hmm - this must either be a topic that has been done one to many times, or HT is just so dang varied that nooone has an opinion in this low $$ arena...
just got back from GoodGuys - saw their deal of the day - Denon 1802 and Energy Take 5.1 system for $999
hmm... first systems are like first dates - too little and you get nothin, too much and your broke for life! :)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Todd,
Sorry you're not getting many responses to your question. I think it's a tough one because there are so many choices in gear these days, and the reality is that quality (aka performance), I feel, is improving across all price points.
This is just my opinion, but with a $1,500 budget one thing you might try to do is focus as much of that $$$ as possible into speakers as they probably will have the most profound effect on the audio quality of your system (in addition to the acoustic characteristics of the room you use). You may want to consider an SVS sub as they are extremely highly regarded on this forum. Check out their website for more info and prices. If you have questions about their performance or specs, you might want to post a question on the Hardware Forum. Tom and Ron of SVS are very nice and will give you open, honest, objective answers to your questions. Click Here to go to the SVS Website. They offer products that most HTFers will tell you really define the "price/performance" proposition.
As for the other 5 speakers in a 5.1 setup, lots of choices here. I use DefTech bipolar speakers and have been very happy with them. You may want to have a listen to the ProMonitor series though I'm not sure how much they'll set you back.
As for the receiver, have you considered a refurbished one? I read a post on here a few months ago where you can get very good receivers at great prices. Again, for more detailed info on this you may try to search the hardware forum or post a new thread.
I hope this helps and hopefully you'll get other ideas too.
Regards,

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Scott!
i'm doing LOTS of searches, just SO much info on this forum :)
i'll definitely be doing more digging! those SVS subs look awesome! hope i can bank some more $$ before diving in :)

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

You are probably in the wrong section ... try posting in the Home Theater Hardware section - think you'll get more response.

BryanW

Agent
I have the Energy Encore speakers with a Yamaha RXV-800 if the look around you can pick it all up for around $1500 I havent heard the 5.2 but I love the Encores there was a ebay buy it now for $890 on the Encores you cant beat the price and they are new in box ! good luck on your purchase.BryanW

BrentC

Agent
This is exactly what I plan on doing After Christmas. I will have $3000 to spend.

1000 for a TV (not sure what to do there yet)

400 for a DVD Player (probably the RP-91)

100 for connections

leaving 1500 for a reciver and speakers After much deliberation I decided on this path.

Denon 2802-535

Magnepan MMG-550

Adire Rava 400

total- 1485

this decision is based on lots of lurking and my love of music. I figure I can get some 1.6s later move the MMGs to the rear. snag a center. get a SVS. then I will get some good amps. them finally move to a separate pre-amp. I plan on stringing all of this out over 5 years. by the end I think I will have a system that will be great for HT and stereo and multi-channel music. What do you guys think?

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Todd,

I have the Denon AVR-2800 (predecessor to the 2801 & 2802) and the Energy Take 5 (predecessor to the 5.2 system). They make a nice package, I get nothing but compliments from those who come over and hear it.

I got the Denon on a closeout last year when the 2801 first was released. Paid $399. I got the Take 5's for $333 (no subwoofer) on E-bay.

I wound up getting the Energy e:XLS10 powered subwoofer for about $320 from Audioshop in Canada. I'm not sure but they may have stopped shipping to the U.S. If you do a search on Audioshop you'll see some posts about them.

You might want to look for a good deal on an AVR-2801. It's only about a year old and the main difference between the 2801 & 2802 is Dolby Prologic II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks