Best Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'Displays' started by josh_s, Mar 30, 2004.

1. josh_s

josh_s Auditioning

I just recently bought a new home (first home) and the basement is not finished off so I plan on building a HT. I already have a HTPC, Two DVD Players, Sony reciever, Boston speakers, the only think I need is a decent TV, I was thinking about a projector but I do not want to have to mount it to the ceiling just to have to tear it down and patch up the holes in the cealing if I decide to move. I am looking for a good wide screen tv with DVI inputs so I can hook up my HTPC directly to the tv and get the best picture quality I can. So Any recomendations that you may have would be great.

thanks in advance,
    Josh

2. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

A lot depends on your budget of course. If you tell people how much you can spend that will narrow your options quickly.

These would by my first recommendations for a large sized tv like your looking for.

Sony makes the best LCD Projections tvs. They offer a 50" LCD Projection for about $3000. It could handle everything you need and it won't break your bank.

They also offer a 60" LCD XBR model and it's quite stunning. However, it will cost you about $5000.

You could also look at Plasmas. I was recently in a Best Buy and I saw the new Panasonic models first hand. I have to admit, they were stunning. Even the ED plasmas from Panasonic are amazing. I don't remember prices but I know the ED models were much more affordable than the HD models. I think the 42" ED model was about $4500. From what i've seen Panasonic makes the best plasmas for the money. Both their ED and HD models lead the pack IMO.

Dan

3. josh_s

josh_s Auditioning

Good point... I am not looking for the largest size, more of a picture and price combo, for around $1500 to $2000, I think the main thing I am looking for is the DVI inputs, most of the expensive tvs have the dvi but I have yet to find a lower end tv with DVI

4. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I just purchased a Panasonic PT-L500U for about $2000 including mount. Best home theater purchase I ever made. Includes your DVI inputs, 720p resolution. On my 92" Draper 1.3 in high-def, impressive. Could be what you're looking for. It weighs six pounds, and the mount leaves 4 small holes.

Greg

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

Coffee table mount it. No holes and the best presentation for HT.