What's new

Best bang for the buck (1 Viewer)

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, recently built and installed acoustic treatments for my ht room. made a nice improvement in sound quality and is very pleasing to the eye. Has anyone else used acousitcs to tame their rooms? To see what I've got so far just click the link next to the light bulb above my post. Do you think I over done it?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Hey DelRey

Those do look cool - I find panels like that add a nice architectural detail aside from their practical function. In addition I'm a believer that you can "over treat" a room and make it too dead. I think you should tame the important areas through absorption and diffusion and leave some life in the room. Your approach allows for that.

Only thing I would recommend is consider a new room color down the road - something darker as opposed to white.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jay,Actually, the walls are light blue. My camera couldn't pick that out very well. But a color change is in the future. Black ceiling, uncertain on the wall color though. Panels are a mixture of asorptive and reflective. The absorptive ones are placed around the speaker area and the reflective panels surround the seating area. Had to do some experimenting so I wouldn't have a "dead room". I believe that wall treatments can compliment a room.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
All panels are diy. Had fun experimenting with placement and materials. The panels on the rear wall are actually beveled and 1/4" hardboard underneath the fabric. Nice for reflective sound. I kind of went overboard with the number of panels, but wanted a nice even look. I have pictures of the panels as they were being built. Will try to post them on webshots soon.

ShaunB

Auditioning
DelRay

Thanks for the response, that's what I was hoping you were going to say. May I ask what you used, i.e. fiberglass, is that acoustic fabric?

I really like how you cut for your lights.

Thanks for all of your help
Shaun

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
The basic design came from the February 2004 issue of Home Theater Mag.(The Echo Room) I did a few modifications on the design. For the absorption panels I wrapped the wood frames with #8 quilt batting from Joanns. The hardest part was finding the right material for the finish product. The old WAF.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian, I think that they improve the sound alot. I had posters and pictures on the walls before. They did nothing for the sound though. I checked out your set-up. WOW! very nice. Is your sound treatment diy? If so , good job. With a sub like yours, you can't have anything in the room that could vibrate. What a beast. :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianKR

Second Unit
Thx!
I have made quite a few changes in the room but I have not had time to update my pictures.

Do you see yourself constantly making changes to your room and equipment or are you content?

Yes my treatment are DIY panels.
They are rigid fiberglass, 1x2's, batting and accoustic transparent fabric. My room is solid/tight, nothing shakes or rattles (cept your insides and clothing) even at high volumes. She (the sub) is a BEAST!

ShaunB

Auditioning
Thanks for all of your help fellas, I think I will dive right into this project. I need to get things done before the chairs arrive.

Shaun

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if anyone is ever content with their set-up. Could be something as amall as better banana plugs or as big as a total remodel. It's what makes this hobby fun. I'm saving up for a new pre pro and amp. Maybe in a year or two. That will be my big expenditure. Right now i'm in the process of buying a set of swinging doors for the ht room. It's never ending
Shaun, If you need any help just ask.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
DelRay:

Looks great. I had some friends tell me years ago that the best room for a HT is to use the ol' dead end/live end which is what you have set up. Dead around the sound stage and more live towards the seating area.

Speaking of subs. You have some very nice looking speakers yourself. You really need to invest in a good FPTV before the pre/pro though. Get your picture to go with your sound and you will wonder what took you so long to go the FPTV route.

Parker

BrianKR

Second Unit
I agree with Parker.
I have had good sound for a couple years now and I opted to add a pre/pro before a decent FPTV. That was the single biggest mistake I have made while building my HT.

I am still searching for an FPTV I will be happy with.
I read about them almost daily.
Finding a decent FPTV/screen setup is just so darn complicated for me!

LCD, DLP, CRT, resolutions, pixel count, throw distances, fan noise/ventalation, ansi lumens, contrast ratio, resolutions, scalers, chipset, color wheel, rainbows vs screendoors vs learning to calibrate CRT's, lamp life, inputs & aspect ratios, ceiling mount vs table, etc and so on...

GRR!

I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND!

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I know, A FPTV would be the way to go. Still waiting for the prices to drop. Seems like the more I read up on them the more confused I get. Your not alone on this one Brian.
I've already got the plans ready. Cut a hole in the back wall behind the TV. Then slide it flush with the wall. Install motorized screen in front of TV and instant BIG SCREEN. When I decide to drop the coin for this project. I will definently be in need of advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks