Best "Bang for the Buck" TV < $1500?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steve Griswold, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be in the market for a new TV within the next month or so.

Right now my 'old faithful' is a 32" Sony XBR cabinet television from the early 90's. It works fine and the picture quality isn't too bad but I really want a HDTV set.

I was thinking either a 32-36" direct-view or a 42" RPTV.

I'd say the vast majority of viewing will be DVD and video games, with some discovery channel thrown in.

Ideally I'd like a set with DVI input as well.

Any suggestions for a set with the best price/performance ratio?

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm very happy with my JVC 48WP74. It could be found for around that price or lower...I got mine from amazon for $999
    [​IMG]

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Here is what I bought a couple of weeks ago for my bedroom. I have been very happy with its performance. I have not used the DVI port yet though. If I was going to nitpick, it takes a second or so to change inputs and the menu is somewhat limited. The 850 dollar version doesn't have a built in HD decoder, but it used the Faroudja DCDi chip. Unlike most of the HDTV's I looked at, these seemed to look the best for regular TV watching. For DVD I would give the slight edge to Toshiba but this is based only on what I could tweak on the showroom floor. I am still within my 30 day Best Buy "trial" but I have no intention of taking it back (but thanks to you, I found out its on sale so I'm going to collect my 50 bucks). Good luck.

4. Steve Griswold

Fry's had the Sony 36" Wega 36FS100 on sale for $799. Is that set any good? I haven't been able to find many reviews on it.

5. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If it's a 36" Sony for $800, I don't think it will be a HDTV or a HDTV-ready set.

6. Steve Griswold

Good point. I checked the specs and you're right. Considering its original retail of $1199 I thought it would have a least that but it doesn't.

Maybe I'll go check out one of the two sets previously mentioned.

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

For $1500 or less,in direct view tvs with hdtv, look at the pannies and the samsungs...

you say video games, is it xbox? if its the xbox it will have a 16:9 mode, along with your dvd watching, this may make a 16:9 tv more enjoyable...

if so, you can get the samsung for under $1500 in the direct view tvs...

in the rptv world, i would look at the panny's (nice and cheap, good quality), toshibas, and samsungs..

i would also say, you may want to look at some projectors.

Rich

8. David Head

David Head Second Unit

You should consider the Mitsubishi WT-42313. It's a 42" widescreen HDTV that will fit in an entertainment center (you can see how I did it here). It has a DVI input and can be found for less than $1500 (even Best Buy carries it and has 10% off at various times).

9. Pete Walker

Pete Walker Agent

I just purchased a Toshiba 46H83 for $1279.99 from Sears, which I pricematched from JandR.com. Between 11/2 and 11/8 there was a MIR for a free Sony Progressive Scan DVD player ($99), which I picked up as well.

I can't give you my opinion on it yet, because it was just delivered 2 hours ago, but I'll be sure to post it up once I get my DVE disc.

Good luck with your purchase.

10. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

sure do like my new panny 53wx53! 1500 at best buy price matched to costco next door. i basically said "look, do you want to sell a big tv, a warentee, and some cables? or not." i guess they did. [​IMG]

ag.