Best bang for the buck 27" TV? Your help needed.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SteveSpoon, Jan 24, 2004.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't have to do anything special since the home theater stuff is all down in the basement. Just need a good TV for upstairs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve

2. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

JVC is pretty nice.

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Back in the late 1980's I bought a basic Sharp 27-inch TV (RF, composite, L/R audio inputs; L/R audio outs) and was very pleased with it. Picture quality was very good to excellent.

The same TV is still working fine.

Just casually looking at Sharp in-store displays, the PQ at least still seems quite good. Can't predict the reliability.

For a little bit more than those super-cheap sets, such as Apex, the Sharp provides just about as much quality as you can expect with an NTSC TV. At regular, non-sale prices, you can easily find a 27-inch entry-level Sharp for $300, 32-inch for $450.

Sharp makes fancier sets but these start to get up into the price range of TV's like Sony so at that point you might as well just go with a Sony. But for low-priced entry-level the Sharps are good.

4. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

I have a 27" Sony Wega and nothing touches it for clarity and sharpness.

For DVD's the 16x9/anamorphic mode makes them look as good as high-def in my opinion.

The DVD picture of course is pretty small but quite manageable if you sit about 5-6 feet away.

5. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I bought a 27" JVC about five years ago and I'm still pleasantly surprised by the PQ especially when watching DVDs as compared to other 27" sets. It'll be a nice addition to our bedroom now that I took the RPTV plunge.

6. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Nothing beats the Zenith C27V36 for pure value. It is an HDTV with a DVI input, PIP, a faroudja line doubler, and many other features. It can be had a Circuit City on sale quite often for $599. I just picked it up this weekend, and I am VERY impressed with this TV.

If you are interested in HiDef at this price, it is well worth it.