What's new

Best av reciver for $400 (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a very satisfied Denon owner (2802). One of the latest Brit hi-fi buyers guides I bought last week tested the Yamaha/JVC/Denon/Marantz receivers under $400, and they picked:

Denon 1602

Marantz SR4200

They gave the edge to the Marantz I believe because it had 5.1 preouts.

Rich

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd have to say one of those two also for that price, but would recommend saving a few more $$ and just move up the food chain a bit and either get an 1802 or an SR5200.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I certainly wouldn't buy a receiver nowadays that didn't have 5.1 Inputs. The pre-outs are nice but really how many are using the 4200 that way?

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of the Marantz 4200 myself. A local retailer is selling them for $429. But, there is a thread on this forum that details problems some people have had with the new x200 Marantz line. Based on that thread it was unclear if the problems were resolved. There were also a number of folks on that thread who had been waiting for the new Marantzes to be delivered for quite some time. When I called the local dealer, they had none in stock and claimed they would order it and get it in "3-5 days."

Based on that, I decided to get the Denon 1802, which I can get locally for $450. I've heard of no issues with this receiver. I don't beleive the Denon has pre-outs, but it does have A & B speakers so you can have 2 stereo speakers set up in a different room (a feature the Marantz lacks).

Wish me luck fellas.

PS. The 1802 has 5.1 in, not sure about the Marantz.

KyleGS

Second Unit
The 1802 has preamp outs for the center and fronts- also has a sub preout. So even better! I'm in the same boat as you and I am dead set on the 1802. Nothing else seems to compare for the price.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jason: Do you know of any places online that are selling the new Yammies?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Have him look at the new Onkyo 600. It will be out in 3-4 weeks and will have an MSRP of $500 but will street for closer to $400. It will have a better feature set than anything else mentioned here.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
it is supposed to come out this month. i don't know who's selling it or who will be soon. but, i'm very impressed by its features. i'll end up with the rx-v430. pretty much the same thing except it doesn't feature any s-video or component inputs.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jason: Thanks for the link. The pricing is supposed to be as follows, right? (V430-$299 V530-$399) I'll probably have to go with the V430 as well. Can't wait to audition one!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
you can check out the HTR-5440 or RX-V420 (same thing with different model #) now for an idea on how the rx-v430 will be. only thing to keep in mind is that the 430 will have DPL2, 10 more wpc, slightly different remote (not as skinny), and the matrixed 6.1 dts and dolby digital.

also, the rx-v430/530 may be released under two model numbers ala the htr-5440 and rx-v420.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I just received a new Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX that I got off of ubid for just a little over 400 bucks shipped. THX certified, DD EX, DTS ES Matrix, Component Video switching, and MOSFET amplification. With an MSRP of 1,100 it is in a different league then alot of the other receivers mentioned already, but if you can find a deal it is worth taking a look.

J

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Jedd,

They are the minimum ticket to future upgrade. You can't have DVD-A without them. Obviously more is better and currently only higher end models are giving more than six channel inputs. It won't be long before 7 or 8 channel inputs will likely be standard IMO.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jason: I definitely want DPL II, so I'm going to wait. I talked to a guy at the local HiFi Buys. He confirmed those prices and said that Yamaha has given them a "Tentative" release date of 3/15/02.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
3/15/02? what a coincidence....my JBL scs-135si speaker set is due to arrive then. only problem is i want to buy it at best buy so i can take advantage of my discount. who knows when they will get it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks