What's new

Best Audio Connection for Home Theatre (1 Viewer)

Luc*

Auditioning
This is what i have as my home theatre.
Whats the best connection or best cable for my audio from dvd to the bose.
Also from the RogersSTB to the Bose
Thanks!

Samsung 40" LCD LN-S4041D
AUDIO

OUTPUT
Digital Audio Out (Optical)
Audio-Out (L/R)
INPUT
DVI In Audio (L/R)

Samsung DVD-HD850 (Up-Converter)
AUDIO

OUTPUT
Digital Audio Out (Optical)
Coaxial Digital Audio Out
Audio-Out (L/R)

Bose Lifestyle 28/35 Receiver
AUDIO

OUTPUT
Digital Audio Output (Optical)
Audio-Out (L/R)
INPUT
Digital Audio Input (Optical)
Audio-IN (L/R)

Rogers STB -Explorer 3250HD
AUDIO

OUTPUT
Digital Audio Output (Optical)
Audio-Out (L/R)

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
Digital is the best and argueable from optical to cable coax. I use all digital coax since when I tried optical from just tinkering and such plus kids around the optical cable would come out. It doesn't stay in place like coax does and I've heard of some sound issues using it!

Luc*

Auditioning
So i would get a coaxial cable then for the audio.Ive read reviews of a few optical and coaxial and its almost the same.One more thing,I connect my dvd to LCd tv using HDMI.Does HDMI include the audio??I dont use the audio from the TV since it would be a waste.

Luc*

Auditioning
Also, with the RCA jacks connected to the bose from Rogers STB, i get a humming sound when the volume is at low levels.Is that right?somethings a miss

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
HDMI also includes digital audio so no other connections are needed.

Ive actually read where there are interference problems of types using optical over coax and since optical is so much more, why bother. Coax you can use regular RCA audio cables for short runs under 6 foot so its much cheaper.

Hum problems, well thats one thing I wont get to involved with.
Your house could have a bad outdoor ground,or not even earth grounded if its old.
The receptacles might not be wired right for polarity to not even grounded.
Devices in the house are causing the interference of the hum.
Receiver and or speakers are bad, wiring bad and so fourth.
Its one of those so many areas that could cause its, its like a needle in a haystack.
I had a "click" noise at first which was only on HBO's and HD channels, swore it was the cable and cable agreed. They couldnt find it, I couldnt and when I got rid of the all in one Sony HT system and went to the Onkyo, its gone!!!

Luc*

Auditioning
Yes, i might want to change my receiver since its like 5 yrs old when i got the bose.NOw is it wise to just buy a receiver,was thinking of Onyko plus reviewd a Denon, and use the bose speakers on it? I can see a considerable difference in the bose since when i got it to now where its been a bit low etc.I know Bose HT in a box is not really liked around.
Whats a good receiver then and if its compatible with all speakers.

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a what you call and Audiophile, but was brought up by one so I do have above average tastes.

Bose is now just a name to me, nothing more or nothing less. The Sony I had was a 670 model and I used KLH's on them which are VERY SIMILAR in tonal qualities that Bose are, but 1/4 the price if not lower. This did me fine and I had to use a sub woofer to get the lows. The KLH's are bright sounding just as the Bose are.

I learned from the forums that wattage power is what I was having a problem with and scrapped the Sony due to it. I wanted the ability to not hear myself think even though that will be a rare circumstance and that lead me a tad further. Denon was the first recommendation made to me by local peers, but I couldnt find a whole lot of real positive recommendations on google searching. It lead me to Harmon Kardon and Onkyo as a good affordable receiver. I was ebaying, site searching and so fourth after local tests of these at CC and BB stores, but Harmons were still just a little out there price wise. Then I came across a Onkyo TR-SX303 at JR Music for $99, right up my alley and a 503 on ebay new from $149-$199, but that was a little more for both power consumption and price I was willing to go. 2 kids, one in college and one all most, just cant do it. JBL and Polk had the only speakers within my price arena that had nice quality to them. I got 2 sets of R-15's off ebay new for $80 per set delivered and a used CS-200 for $40 delivered. I got $325 into this and it blows away any store all in one system HANDS DOWN. I love it, but each has there personal tastes so more times than not, NAME means everything.

I'm very happy with this setup, affordable, sounds fantastic and I can blow my ear drums out if needed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks