What's new

Best and Worst TV of 2004 (1 Viewer)

JamesED

Second Unit
I vote for well... the only shows I watch.

Scrubs,
Arrested Development
Enterprise
Boston Legal

Also South Park and the Adult Swim line up get nominations.

Simpsons gets a big big thumbs down and has for a few years now.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As for not liking reality shows, I've given some a chance, but couldn't get into them. I prefer dramatic or comedic scripted works. In general, I'm looking for something relatively cinematic which I haven't found in reality shows. I can applaud the documentary-like qualities of some reality shows, but that doesn't mean I like them or have to put them on my best list.

In addition, I have a moderately irrational grudge against the genre for the quick high ratings it generates. I'm sure there are some worthy of such high ratings, but when they continually drive off the shows that I like to watch...it's hard not to get a little pissy.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Best:

The Sopranos
Arrested Development
Scrubs
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Six Feet Under

Worst:

Las Vegas
The O.C.
Survivor

Looking forward to:

Deadwood
Lost

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Best

Lost
Desperate Housewives
Rescue Me
Carnivale
OC
New Battlestar Galactica(For those who have seen the series)

On the up and up
Enterprise

Worst
Complete Savages
LAX

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Best 2004
1 CSI
2 Lost
3 Alias
4 24
5 Law & Order SVU

Worst 2004
1. All reality Shows
2. All Sitcoms
3. All soapy Dramas
4 All old TV cast reunion shows

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Best:

24 - The first half of season 3 was awful, but once the hotel stuff started, the show reminded me why I love watching it.

Joan of Arcadia - Great concept, great scripts, laugh-out-loud funny at times, incredible cast ... and I really love the way they portray God. It's basically a perfect show.

The Amazing Race - The current race is not as good, largely because of Jonathan. But season 5 was an incredible race - I liked Chip and Kim, and like everyone else hated Colin (I was really hoping they would arrest him). And Brad is right - "my ox is broken" is the funniest line on TV this year. Season 6 has given us the elimination of Lena and Kristy in the haybales - I had the sisters in the HTF AR6 Challenge, and although I was sad to see them go, I really liked the way they went out.

Arrested Development - SOme of the best comedy I have seen. Perfectly constructed, incredible management of a huge ensemble cast, it's just a masterpiece of comic writing, acting.

Gilmore Girls - Looking forward to season 5. It's gone off a bit from the heights of seasons 1 and 2, but it's still a show I love to watch.

The OC - I dismissed the show for a couple of months, until my flatmate was watching it, and I became addicted. Completely trashy and silly, but fun to watch, and Adam Brody is a real star - he was great in Gilmore Girls, and perfect in The OC, exactly the type of geek I wish I could be.

Worst:

The Apprentice 2 - Loved the first season, but the second season really seemed like it was being made for good TV, rather than to find someone that was good for the job.

Looking forward to seeing:
* Lost

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Best of 2004
1. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
2. Pardon the Interuption
3. Around the Horn

Show that I really liked but has irritated me because of its constantly changin format...
1. I, Max (the original format was the best, and I don't know why they changed it not once but twice since then)

The Only New Show I watch
1. Joey

Show I'll definitely try on DVD but don't watch b/c its not on at a good time for me.
1. Arrested Development

Looking forward to
1. Family Guy
2. American Dad

Shows on the decline:
1. The Simpsons (for a long time)
1A. WWE Monday Night Raw, and Smackdown (this company deserves bankrupcy)

Show I wish I could watch more of:
1. TNA Impact

Type of programming I have 0 interest in...
1. Reality TV (Matt Stone's post mirrors my thoughts exactly)

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
The Best:
1 Angel
2 The Wire
3 24
4 Alias
5 Lost
6 4400

The Worst:
1 Joss Whedon announcing his hiatus from TV
2 Reality TV
3 Everything else is just ok or mind-numbingly bad.
(Damn, I miss Buffy and Angel)

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
The Best:

1. The Sopranos
2. Six Feet Under
3. Becker (Reruns) A show that never got it's due
4. Arrested Development
5. The Office
6. Monday Night Footbal

The Worst:

1. The Simpsons
2. Joey
3. Centre Of The Universe
4. LAX
5. Every ABC Sitcom
6. Listen Up

Most Missed:

Life With Bonnie. Brilliant and quirky. No wonder it didn't last.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Made a couple of edits to my list to include rotten Disney and Nickelodeon first-run shows.

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
Best:

1. Deadwood
2. Deadwood
3. Deadwood
4. Deadwood
5. Lost
6. 24

Nothing even comes close to Deadwood IMHO. Well, early Sopranos, but it ain't what it used to be.

Arrested Development is something I missed out on. I'll be checking out the DVD sets.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Best:

1) Deadwood
2) Rescue Me
3) Arrested Development
4) Lost
5) Wonderfalls
6) Scrubs & Chappelle's Show
7) Desperate Housewives
8) Curb Your Enthusiasm

WTF Happened to it???:

1) Aqua Teen Hunger Force (enough with the damn Space Cataz!)
2) 24
3) Alias

Worst:

1) Quintuplets (I hope Ryan Pinkston's fake brother is reading this)
2) Hawaii
3) LAX
4) Angel
5) Father of the Pride
6) The Simpsons

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
FAVORITES
The Sopranos
The Daily Show
South Park
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Frontline
Chappelle's Show
The Wire

TRIED TO GET INTO; FAILED (i.e., "way overrated")
Desperate Housewives
Entourage
The OC

DECLINING (not "bad" exactly; just so much worse than before)
Survivor (worst season ever)

DEAD IN THE WATER
The West Wing
The Apprentice

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Best:

1. Law & Order: SVU
2. Rescue Me
3. Lost
4. 24
5. Alias
6. Jack & Bobby
7. Desperate Housewives
8. Joan of Arcadia
9. Boston Legal

I don't get to watch a lot of cable shows until they're released on DVD, and I'm WAAAAAY behind them at that!

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Best
Arrested Development (FOX)
Rescue Me (FX)
Wonderfalls (Fox)
Veronica Mars (UPN)
Dead Like Me (SHO)
Lost (ABC)
House, md (FOX)
Without a Trace (CBS)
Two and a Half Men (CBS)

declining
Joan of Arcadia (CBS)
CSI (all)(CBS)
Gilmore Girls (WB)
The West Wing (NBC)
24 (FOX)
Alias (FOX)
The Shield (FX)
Dead Zone (USA)
Monk (USA)

Worst
LAX (NBC)
Joey (NBC)
American idol (FOX)
Listen Up (CBS)
The Apprentice (NBC)
Las Vegas (NBC)
Simpsons (FOX)

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Ranking kinda stops having meaning after 10... and my mind may change at any given moment on the placing of a few of these...

1. The Sopranos (HBO, 5th season) -- Strongly disagree with those citing any kind of 'decline' in the show, creatively.

2. Lost (ABC, 1st season) -- Still strong in that 'honeymoon phase' of new love...

3. Six Feet Under (HBO, 4th season) -- I'm really going to miss this... only one season more...

4. Nip/Tuck (fX, 2nd season) -- So outrageous, but so much fun... great ensemble of actors...

5. Deadwood (HBO, 1st season) -- This made for fantastic marathon viewing. Loved this a lot more than I thought I would.

6. The Wire (HBO, 3rd and hopefully not final season) -- Okay, a lot of major stories got tied off, but... I'll be in 'mourning' if there's not more...

7. South Park (Comedy Central, 8th season) -- Still hilarious.

8. The Shield (fX, 3rd season) -- Maybe a wee bit of a decline... or the addictive spell of the show has worn off some, but... Still really, really good. Looking forward to Glenn Close in the new season.

9. Arrested Development (Fox, 1st and 2nd seasons) -- Very funny stuff.

10. Angel (The WB, 5th and final season) -- Felt the series ending was a year or so premature, but with so many of the writers branching off to do OTHER shows I care so much for, such as Lost, Alias, and The Shield... I'm getting over the loss. Do miss the characters and 'world' a lot, though...

11. ER (NBC, 10th and 11th seasons)-- Still mostly works for me.

12. Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO, 4th season) -- You either love Larry David or you don't... I do.

13. Desperate Housewives (ABC, 1st season) -- I'm not AS enthusiastic as those raving... and I probably enjoyed the pilot more than any episode following it, but... nah, don't mean to be negative. I AM in it for the long haul...

14. Alias (ABC, 3rd season) -- Love/hate relationship. Still invested.

15. 24 (Fox, 3rd season) -- There was good, there was bad. Still works, but probably not a terrible thing if 4 is the last.

16. The Practice (ABC, 8th and final season) -- Love James Spader's Alan Shore.

17. The West Wing (NBC, 5th and 6th seasons) -- First year without Sorkin wasn't a COMPLETE failure (some critics were TOO hard on it, I thought), but... it did become boring and mostly irrelevant. This season is much improved.

and I'm greedily going through all of The WB's Gilmore Girls in reruns on ABC Family (I'd much rather they were all already on dvd, though- the trims they make for more commercials are awfully annoying), now almost finished with the third season, and loving it... one more year to go in reruns, and then I've taped this season so far to do a catch-up... surely, it'd be in my Top Ten if I'd seen them already...

Reality shows... I'm a big whore for Big Brother and Survivor on CBS, The Surreal Life on VH1 (formerly on the WB), American Idol on Fox, and Project Greenlight on HBO (which will be on Bravo when it returns)....

Like American Dreams (NBC).

Liked Friends and Frasier. Joey isn't as God-awful as I'm hearing and reading people say it is. (all NBC). Still like The Simpsons (Fox), but it's not what it was, no.

Liked Rescue Me (fX).

Greatly enjoyed most of The Practice's final season, and have been disappointed in Boston Legal (ABC) so far, but am still hopeful they might pull it together...

Liked Wonderfalls (Fox). Will see the dvd collection. Watched a couple of the unaireds at the comic-con last summer... it was a good show.

Haven't seen enough of Veronica Mars (UPN) to judge it much yet- only saw two (have taped the rest, will watch soon) but based on them- fine, but not up to all of the positive reviews I was seeing...

Always enjoy The Daily Show, Real Time With Bill Maher, and Letterman. Always watch SNL, but 'enjoy' isn't necessarily the right word...

The most embarrassing show I spend any time on is Las Vegas (NBC). I can't defend it... it's just a time-waster. But the girls all look great, you know?

Tru Calling (Fox) wasn't all that good, but I watched it, too.

The Amazing Race (CBS) alternately frustrates and bores me, but I come back to it even though there are better ways to spend that time, I'm sure (but friends watch, it's a conversation piece).

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
The Best

1. The Shield
2. Dead Like Me
3. 24
4. Carnivale
5. Enterprise (the 4th season, everything that came after the Storm Front parts I & II)
6. The Dead Zone (season 3 was a bit weak after the first two but still good)

The Disappointments

1. Six Feet Under (3rd season in Finland)
2. Nip/Tuck (1st season in Finland - a lot of promise but not living up to its potential)
3. Frasier (season 10)
4. Alias (still watching it, although I don't like it but everybody else say it's brilliant - I can't see the brilliance)

The Worst

1. Las Vegas and everything else similar.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
1. Entourage (Best new show of 2004, watched whole season New Years Eve for first time & I loved it, then I TVEO'D it)
2. PTI
3. The Simpsons (I do agree that it has declined this season but is still G.O.A.T. in my book)
4. WWE (Agree with Casey on the declining, still pissed on what they did to my boy Stone Cold)
5. Around the Horn (I think this show is declining more than The Simpsons & WWE but I still like it)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks